FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Shootouts are exciting in these rounds, but I still kind of hate to see when a championship game is decided by PKs.
I hated the 1994 WC final no goals and a shoot out where Baggio airmailed the kick for Brazil to win.
2006 was defensive as well but is remembered for the Zidane headbutt.

The American public/casual fan is not ready for US defeat on penalties. Since everyone in this thread is knowledgable, we all know it is football. The casual fan has never experienced the sting of defeat in a shootout so we'd have a week of complaints about how this shows soccer will not succeed in the States. I've never heard of a good alternative. One intriguing idea is to have each team take off a player every few minutes until you get down to five-a-side but no one is gonna try that in practice.

cmr27 said:
The American public/casual fan is not ready for US defeat on penalties. Since everyone in this thread is knowledgable, we all know it is football. The casual fan has never experienced the sting of defeat in a shootout so we'd have a week of complaints about how this shows soccer will not succeed in the States. I've never heard of a good alternative. One intriguing idea is to have each team take off a player every few minutes until you get down to five-a-side but no one is gonna try that in practice.

Didn't they used to have full game replays back in the day? I know it wouldn't work in a tournament like this. But I was a kid in the 70s, and I sort of recall when an entire second game would be played if the first did not decide the outcome in some global soccer events.

CuyahogaCuse said:
Didn't they used to have full game replays back in the day? I know it wouldn't work in a tournament like this. But I was a kid in the 70s, and I sort of recall when an entire second game would be played if the first did not decide the outcome in some global soccer events.

Google is a wonderful thing. Looks like the FA Cup was decided this way.

Google is a wonderful thing. Looks like the FA Cup was decided this way.

They still do this in the FA Cup through the Q-finals, but it's going the way of the dinosaur. The power teams who play in European comps hate that it messes with their schedules.

I hated the 1994 WC final no goals and a shoot out where Baggio airmailed the kick for Brazil to win.
2006 was defensive as well but is remembered for the Zidane headbutt.
zidane-headbutt-o.gif

Didn't they used to have full game replays back in the day?
Yes. I remember it being mentioned during the 1978 final. I believe that the rematch would've been played the following day.

The change on penalties that heard about and like is that the format should be like a tennis tiebreaker for fairness.

Whomever goes first has a huge advantage because if they make they are always ahead. If they let team 1 go first for 1 PK the team 2 went 2 PKs in a row then team 1 got in 2 in a row and so on the pressure would be equal. I wish they would do the 1-2-2-2-2-1 format for PKs.

Mexico is the Gonzaga of soccer. They are always good and get thru the group stage, but when the knockout round begins they lose in the round of 16 like Gonzaga choking before the Final Four.

Being Gonzaga isn't bad for Mexico it just shows they are consistent at being decent.

They were a lot better than decent yesterday. They deserved that win. I can't stand their fans either, but they outplayed Holland and had the win snaked from them by a crappy stoppage time call. Horrible way to lose a knock-out game. We'd be infuriated if that happened to us. That game should have gone extra time. They really should use replay in a stoppage time situation like that. It was a very tough call for the ref, but watching the replays it's pretty clear that Robben went down too easy and acted it up. Such is World Cup.

They were a lot better than decent yesterday. They deserved that win. I can't stand their fans either, but they outplayed Holland and had the win snaked from them by a crappy stoppage time call. Horrible way to lose a knock-out game. We'd be infuriated if that happened to us. That game should have gone extra time. They really should use replay in a stoppage time situation like that. It was a very tough call for the ref, but watching the replays it's pretty clear that Robben went down too easy and acted it up. Such is World Cup.
Yeah, it was a tough way to lose, but Mexico played too defensive that last 30 minutes. I don't think the penalty call was that bad. Marquez got away with one in the first half and didn't get called. Uruguay-Ghana 4 years ago was worse way of losing than that for Mexico. Mexico is making that call out to be like an all-time blunder when it was a 50/50 which went against them. I think the call against Croatia when they played Brazil was worse, but we can disagree.

I actually dont have a huge issue with a shootout. If youre the better team you should be able to win in 120 minutes of play. If not, it comes down to luck. I would rather they play sudden death until someone scores but it is what it is and it doesnt bother me too much.

My issue is with the card system. 2 yellow cards needs to be made 3. I hate that I keep seeing players missing next matches because of 2 poor defensive attempts or arguing a call. I also think they need to card diving far more often so people like Robben dont flop around like fish out of water all game eventually getting a crucial call. I know in soccer terms that was a 50/50 call but in terms of ridiculousness its 100% an awful call.

Yeah, it was a tough way to lose, but Mexico played too defensive that last 30 minutes. I don't think the penalty call was that bad. Marquez got away with one in the first half and didn't get called. Uruguay-Ghana 4 years ago was worse way of losing than that for Mexico. Mexico is making that call out to be like an all-time blunder when it was a 50/50 which went against them. I think the call against Croatia when they played Brazil was worse, but we can disagree.

I totally agree that it was 50-50, and probably a make-up call from the first half. I just hate to see them made in stoppage time unless it's totally blatant. Takes away from what was otherwise a solid match. Mexico sitting back certainly didn't help their momentum, that's for sure. They are far more dangerous when they counterattack. I think the tactical changes the Dutch made for the second half really kept Mexico on their heels, and that eventually forced Mexico to decide on bunkering down. Overall, I think this has been one of the best officiated WC's I've seen. There have been some bad calls here and there, but it hasn't been a complete disgrace like other past tournaments.

It's clear that during halftime that the ref saw that he missed the missed penalty in the first half . It was a make up call.

Hup Holland!

Bingo. First half stoppage time where they Dutch player was fouled twice in the box and the ref wasn't interested.

Bingo. First half stoppage time where they Dutch player was fouled twice in the box and the ref wasn't interested.

I think there should be a rule that all 50-50 plays in the penalty area during stoppage time automatically result in a 25 yard free kick for the offensive team, no penalty kick. The offensive team can pick where they want to take the kick from (straight on, rt side, left side). Penalties should only be given in stoppage time for handballs, blatant trips or tackles from behind, etc.

I think there should be a rule that all 50-50 plays in the penalty area during stoppage time automatically result in a 25 yard free kick for the offensive team, no penalty kick. The offensive team can pick where they want to take the kick from (straight on, rt side, left side). Penalties should only be given in stoppage time for handballs, blatant trips or tackles from behind, etc.

It's a case of end game being called tighter, kind of reverse NBA. There should probably either be more PK's in the middle of halves or fewer end of game. Defensive players get away with quite a bit during the first 35 mins of a half. As a Liverpool fan, we have one of the worst in Martin Skrtel.

Columbia will beat Brazil...

Belgium has a really good team, but has rather been quite underwhelming so far. USA and Belgium goes into penalties.

It's a case of end game being called tighter, kind of reverse NBA. There should probably either be more PK's in the middle of halves or fewer end of game. Defensive players get away with quite a bit during the first 35 mins of a half. As a Liverpool fan, we have one of the worst in Martin Skrtel.

Perfect example is the Nigerian player who was just bear hugged in the box by a French defender on a set piece.

Robben is sitting on a yellow card from the Spain match hopefully these refs would give the yellow cards they are suppose to when players dive and they would stop doing it. If the ref gives Robbin a yellow yesterday he misses the quarterfinal match. Hopefully for the USA he gets a yellow against Costa Rica and could miss a potential semifinal against the USA.

I still remember the red card Francisco Totti from Italy got in 2002 against South Korea he got fouled clearly in the box and then the ref gave Totti a yellow card his second of the match in extra time with the old golden goal rule and Totti got sent off and those cheaters from South Korea went on to score right after the man advantage.