FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Here is when Totti got the red card for diving when he didn't dive. Maybe this is why refs don't give yellows for diving so they don't get it wrong.

Well, Nigeria gave that one away. Good fight, but they don't have the stamina or the horses. Extra time may not have pleasant for them.

I actually dont have a huge issue with a shootout. If youre the better team you should be able to win in 120 minutes of play. If not, it comes down to luck. I would rather they play sudden death until someone scores but it is what it is and it doesnt bother me too much.

My issue is with the card system. 2 yellow cards needs to be made 3. I hate that I keep seeing players missing next matches because of 2 poor defensive attempts or arguing a call.

I agree with all of that, so long as you mean 3 accumulated yellows = 1 game suspension but 2 in same game still = red.

The American public/casual fan is not ready for US defeat on penalties. Since everyone in this thread is knowledgable, we all know it is football. The casual fan has never experienced the sting of defeat in a shootout so we'd have a week of complaints about how this shows soccer will not succeed in the States. I've never heard of a good alternative. One intriguing idea is to have each team take off a player every few minutes until you get down to five-a-side but no one is gonna try that in practice.

Shootouts are awesome for creating insanely high levels of drama and tension. Losing them sure stings, but your team winning one is amazing (Chelsea to win the UCL). As has been previously said, if you don't want a shootout, prove you are better in the first 120 minutes and change by scoring more than the other team.

Klinsmann has confirmed Altidore is available for the match with Belgium. That said, I can't imagine seeing him until at least the 70th minute if we are down a goal, if at all.

If it's like tied and Altidore comes in and scores. I might burn down my house from the excitement.

It's very risky to bring him in late in the game and risk re-injury with no subs left in a potential 120 minute game. I'd rather get the first 45 out of him.

Germany-Algeria starting soon...

I'm just going to say that I think ALG pushes Germany for 90 minutes and MAYBE gets it to extra time.

Or Germany wins 4-1 and I look like a fool, which is the better option.

Germany about to kick off...
welcome_to_the_machine.jpg

Algeria is hanging tough. They want revenge for '82. I wouldn't shed a tear if Germany lost, other than it clears the side for France.

Still 0-0 as overtime looms.
4 extra minutes...
And overtime it is!

Last edited:
Germany-Algeria starting soon...

I'm just going to say that I think ALG pushes Germany for 90 minutes and MAYBE gets it to extra time.

Or Germany wins 4-1 and I look like a fool, which is the better option.

And somehow I got this right. Germany-Algeria head to extra time.

The local fans aren't liking Germany very much. I hope we have that kind of support against Belgium. :)

An early German goal. 90 seconds into OT.

And that 2nd goal will do it.
Algeria replies but it's really too late.

Germany had numerous chances but Algeria can certainly defend last WC they gave up only 2 goals in 3 matches to USA, Slovenia, England.
Germany-France will be awesome assuming the French don't surrender before Friday.