Filling out the roster...where do we go from here? | Syracusefan.com

Filling out the roster...where do we go from here?

Jasoncuse

2022 Iggy Winner: NCAA Tourament
With Tyus probably heading to the NBA, we're still desperately in need of players. I wonder when we'll start seeing some movement on adding to the roster?

- Waiting for Golden to decide? Anybody know his timeframe for a decision? Seems like Illinois did everything possible to land him and he didn't commit, so hopefully that's good for us.

- The Robert Braswell situation seems very quiet. We were supposed to visit last Monday, then it changed to last Wednesday and then I'm not even sure it happened? There was no news after the few tweets saying SU was going to see RB on Wednesday, 4/18. Braswell would be a good under the radar player that could spend a year working on his body and providing spot minutes if needed. Always good to have shooting options at forward.

- Tyrese Samuel, class of 2019, mentioned he wanted to visit Syracuse and we were his 'dream school' growing up. There was talk of him possibly being able to reclassify to '18, but that doesn't seem likely unless it's the right spot. Maybe we could be that spot? Is there interest on our end for him being a 2018 option? I hope so.

- The grad market seems unlikely at this point. Maybe something will develop, a la Thorpe last June, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in this option.

- I still think we should be going after traditional transfers, especially forwards or a James Banks type interior player. It makes so much sense with our scholarship situation and future roster needs. There doesn't seem to be much traction here?

- We have 8 (or 9) scholarships accounted for (Buddy is 9), so we could take up to 4 players, or 3 if Tyus stuns us. Obviously, I don't think that happens, but we probably need to add at least 2. Scrimmaging in practice against fellow scholarship players will only help, plus we have some guys with major injury concerns that may not be available all summer/fall (HW, Sid).

- Is there anything else out there? I believe we had started scrambling in late March, early April last year to fill spots. When will it happen this time? I wonder if another version of Marek is out there somewhere...

With Tyus probably heading to the NBA, we're still desperately in need of players. I wonder when we'll start seeing some movement on adding to the roster?

- Waiting for Golden to decide? Anybody know his timeframe for a decision? Seems like Illinois did everything possible to land him and he didn't commit, so hopefully that's good for us.

- The Robert Braswell situation seems very quiet. We were supposed to visit last Monday, then it changed to last Wednesday and then I'm not even sure it happened? There was no news after the few tweets saying SU was going to see RB on Wednesday, 4/18. Braswell would be a good under the radar player that could spend a year working on his body and providing spot minutes if needed. Always good to have shooting options at forward.

- Tyrese Samuel, class of 2019, mentioned he wanted to visit Syracuse and we were his 'dream school' growing up. There was talk of him possibly being able to reclassify to '18, but that doesn't seem likely unless it's the right spot. Maybe we could be that spot? Is there interest on our end for him being a 2018 option? I hope so.

- The grad market seems unlikely at this point. Maybe something will develop, a la Thorpe last June, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in this option.

- I still think we should be going after traditional transfers, especially forwards or a James Banks type interior player. It makes so much sense with our scholarship situation and future roster needs. There doesn't seem to be much traction here?

- We have 8 (or 9) scholarships accounted for (Buddy is 9), so we could take up to 4 players, or 3 if Tyus stuns us. Obviously, I don't think that happens, but we probably need to add at least 2. Scrimmaging in practice against fellow scholarship players will only help, plus we have some guys with major injury concerns that may not be available all summer/fall (HW, Sid).

- Is there anything else out there? I believe we had started scrambling in late March, early April last year to fill spots. When will it happen this time? I wonder if another version of Marek is out there somewhere...
Good post and questions. I wondered about the Braswell situation that is, if there is mutual interest from him and from Syracuse. He may be one of the SC born and bred that had never been up north and ends up at Furman, Clemson or South Carolina. He is an intriguing player based on his high % shooting 3 and his ability as an athelete as a jumper but you have wonder about why he has not been spoken about previously.

What about the forward who committed to Lasalle. Wonder if there is any mutual interest there...

Here's my best guess -- the staff wants to add one more for the class of 2018, and prefers Golden. If we land him, that will effectively end their pursuit of Braswell.

If we don't land Golden, then they go after Braswell full blast -- but right now he is option B.

Samuels is a kid who I believe we'll actively pursue, but it doesn't sound like reclassifying is an option, so he'll be a 2019 recruit.

Sounds like the kid who decommited from LaSalle isn't actively being pursued.

Banks just committed to GT, so he's also out.

Should be another round of transfers announce once the combine kids return back or not.

Oh geez, that needed to get delorted because people thought that was for real?

My bad.

I saw your post in that thread and honestly I thought it was for real until I saw like five people "liked" it.

I don't think its a foregone conclusion that tyus is gone I think its 50 50.

JB and coaching staff need to Look to Australia and Pull another Ben Simmons, Andrew Bogut, Thon Maker or Patty Mills who are and have been stars.Their are bigtime Sudanese Australian players who are lost in system that would outplay any of these 3 star front court players we are recruiting , no disrespect to Golden but I don't think up to ACC class and not athletic enough to play with front court players of other programs.
I've been a Syracuse fan but we need to be the team that lands a Top 5 Recruiting class in 2019 and 2020:
PG- Jalen Lecque 6-4 No.2 CG
SG- Brycen Goodine 6-5 N0.20 SG
C - Isaiah Stewart 6-8 No.4 C
PF- Akok Akok 6-9 No.10 PF
SF- Precious Achiuwa 6-7 No.1 SF
C/F -Dimon Carrigan 6-9 No.1 JC
PG- Addison Patterson 6-6
SG- Andre Jackson 6-6
C- Clifford Omoruyi 6-11
SF- Scottie Barnes 6-8

My realistic 2019 class would be
PG- Brycen Goodine
SG- Quincy Guerrier
SF- Kahlil Whitney
PF- Akok Akok
C- Jon Bol Ajok
PG- Tyler Bertram

Give me those 6 right now, and let the other big time schools fight it out for the Stewart's, Precious', Girards', etc.. .

My realistic 2019 class would be
PG- Brycen Goodine
SG- Quincy Guerrier
SF- Kahlil Whitney
PF- Akok Akok
C- Jon Bol Ajok
PG- Tyler Bertram

Give me those 6 right now, and let the other big time schools fight it out for the Stewart's, Precious', Girards', etc.. .
I think Bertram is pass by this staff.

I think we will catch a break here soon...

JB and coaching staff need to Look to Australia and Pull another Ben Simmons, Andrew Bogut, Thon Maker or Patty Mills who are and have been stars.Their are bigtime Sudanese Australian players who are lost in system that would outplay any of these 3 star front court players we are recruiting , no disrespect to Golden but I don't think up to ACC class and not athletic enough to play with front court players of other programs.
I've been a Syracuse fan but we need to be the team that lands a Top 5 Recruiting class in 2019 and 2020:
PG- Jalen Lecque 6-4 No.2 CG
SG- Brycen Goodine 6-5 N0.20 SG
C - Isaiah Stewart 6-8 No.4 C
PF- Akok Akok 6-9 No.10 PF
SF- Precious Achiuwa 6-7 No.1 SF
C/ -Dimon Carrigan 6-9 No.1 JC
PG- Addison Patterson 6-6
SG- Andre Jackson 6-6
C- Clifford Omoruyi 6-11
SF- Scottie Barnes 6-8

Think you're asking for a lot there.

I'd be content with main dudes for both 19 and 20 being Akok, Goodine, Guerrier, Whitney and Addison Patterson. Obviously we'll need a few more to fill spots, but that's a great start

I think Bertram is pass by this staff.

I think we will catch a break here soon...
Yea I just added Bertram as a 6th kid who could be a ringer off the bench. Obviously the top 5 are more important.

JAB never fills out the roster. 13 scholarships or 12 or 11 or whatever. It's not his thing. There could be a lot of openings next season, and right now, it looks to be more of the same with regards to not filling out the class. For 2019, I don't think that there are six players that fit SU's physical requirements who are also in the northeast, and who are also ranked between ~25 and 75 as a nominal 4-star. If they get five top-100 players for 2019, it'd be a (Rak) Christmas miracle.

JAB never fills out the roster. 13 scholarships or 12 or 11 or whatever. It's not his thing. There could be a lot of openings next season, and right now, it looks to be more of the same with regards to not filling out the class. For 2019, I don't think that there are six players that fit SU's physical requirements who are also in the northeast, and who are also ranked between ~25 and 75 as a nominal 4-star. If they get five top-100 players for 2019, it'd be a (Rak) Christmas miracle.
I'll be shocked if we add 5 2019-players at all, let alone top-100 types.

After what we just went through, I cannot imagine JB not using AT LEAST 10-11 scholarships for this upcoming year. And that's at the bare minimum. Right now, with 9 players (8 scholarship), two coming off major knee surgeries and a group of unproven guards, it's simply crazy if we don't add multiple players. But at this point, options are dwindling and we'll likely have depth issues yet again, barring some unknowns coming out of nowhere.

Man, I just love all the thoughts in this thread, hope at least some of them turn out to be accurate.

But, in the meanwhile, what are u all smoking in upstate NY, hope there is some of it available here in NM !!!!!

One thing I'd like to point out, that I think is affecting all of our thinking. When Hop was recruiting, he had a very narrow focus, offered few, and closed on a ridiculous pct. He liked to close early and never wanted a long drawn out battle with us being the perceived leader. He wanted to be the hunter, not the hunted. Troy was the same way. Both could identify talent early - which helped.

Adrien, GMAC and Allen, for various reasons, cast wider nets...there are going to be more "misses".

One thing I'd like to point out, that I think is affecting all of our thinking. When Hop was recruiting, he had a very narrow focus, offered few, and closed on a ridiculous pct. He liked to close early and never wanted a long drawn out battle with us being the perceived leader. He wanted to be the hunter, not the hunted. Troy was the same way. Both could identify talent early - which helped.

Adrien, GMAC and Allen, for various reasons, cast wider nets...there are going to be more "misses".

Ands lots of people here have been asking for that type of approach, now you got it! Not better, maybe worse, definitely different.

Problem is, over the past few recruiting seasons, the likes of Duke and (especially) UK have used us as a stalking horse--let the SU staff scout the talent, then swoop in at the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom