First game and a half | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

First game and a half

I think the fact that some have put Colgate as a benchmark game tells us all we need to know about where we think our program is. 1 win in Hawaii, competitive with LSU and Oregon, and a win over G-town will please me.

No repeat of the Illinois beat down.
Where do YOU think our program is? Let's deal with reality. We were living in a fantasy land the last 10 years.

Colgate being a benchmark IS where our program is right now. It's going to be a process to get back to where we all want to be. This is step 1.

The patience with Red and the rest of the staff is less than even I thought it would be. We should wait until the non-conference is over when we possibly have a full roster to see where we are at. We are missing what I think will be 2 of our top 7 in the rotation.

I think the fact that some have put Colgate as a benchmark game tells us all we need to know about where we think our program is. 1 win in Hawaii, competitive with LSU and Oregon, and a win over G-town will please me.

We will know more about LSU soon ( they played the worst team in D1 their first game) I'll be fine with beating Colgate, going 0-3( unless it's Chaminade in game 3) in Maui and beating LSU and Gtown who have even more turnover and change than us.

Where do YOU think our program is? Let's deal with reality. We were living in a fantasy land the last 10 years.

Colgate being a benchmark IS where our program is right now. It's going to be a process to get back to where we all want to be. This is step 1.

What is step 1?

The patience with Red and the rest of the staff is less than even I thought it would be. We should wait until the non-conference is over when we possibly have a full roster to see where we are at. We are missing what I think will be 2 of our top 7 in the rotation.
I don't think that is true. At least not for me. It isn't a hard knock on Red or this team to say that you are disappointed with the first two games. A lot can change with one week of good practice. And getting a 3 year starter back is also important. Very important. What I haven't liked is the lack of 100% defensive intensity. It is there for a bit than then goes away for a time. We need that for all 40 minutes. I don't like all the one on one on offense. I think we need more ball screens. Not to beat the teams we just played, but to score against good teams. There is no proclamation that we can't be good. Just commenting on the first two games. That seems fair to me. I haven't seen anyone say boy, I wish JB and the zone were back. Certainly not from me.

I don't think that is true. At least not for me. It isn't a hard knock on Red or this team to say that you are disappointed with the first two games. A lot can change with one week of good practice. And getting a 3 year starter back is also important. Very important. What I haven't liked is the 100% defensive intensity. It is there for a bit than then goes away for a time. We need that for all 40 minutes. I don't like all the one on one on offense. I think we need more ball screens. Not to beat the teams we just played, but to score against good teams. There is no proclamation that we can't be good. Just commenting on the first two games. That seems fair to me. I haven't seen anyone say boy, I wish JB and the zone were back. Certainly not from me.
Fair enough.

I agree the defense stinks. A lot of it is effort. That is disappointing.

Also extremely concerned about our McDonalds All American's jump shot and hero ball from Judah.

Those are the things that I think everyone expected to see return this season.

Not sure Red has a good feel for head coaching. Hear me out: I believe Judah was beat for a layup a minute or so in. Red somehow got mad at McLeod and was going to take him out until he scored on the other end. It’s not a zone, if he can help, he can help. He’s not just there. Idn if Red gets this… he then pulls Maliq back. McLeod playing well but picks up a foul. He then leaves Mcleod in through the under 12. He then decides to put Maliq in after the under 12 play has started. McLeod foul immediately. No idea why he wasn’t pulled at the under 12. 8 min for a big and has a foul. Then puts him back in at the end of the half with 2 fouls.
Then you have the out of bounds plays. They spoke for themselves.
Put Cuffe in for like 1 minute mid second half and pulled him instantly.
He also kept running guys to the table with a clear tv timeout coming up. As if he doesn’t know.
This I can’t get on him too much about, but why no lineup with McLeod and Brown? Taylor or Cope aren’t covering real team’s fours. May as well try it now, going to eventually need it.
So you're telling me that a guy that has coached a grand total of 2 games is still working on the craft. I am shocked.

83 and 89 points in first two games and the complaining is off the charts lol. This team cracked 80 once the first 10 games last year and Lost 4 of the first 6. No one is ever happy lol
That’s great and we’re all happy about that, but that doesn’t change that the defense and rebounding have been atrocious. Will we score 83 or 89 on Tennessee in Maui? I doubt it. We can’t rely on scoring that many points on a consistent basis.

So you're telling me that a guy that has coached a grand total of 2 games is still working on the craft. I am shocked.
We’re Syracuse. He isn’t learning on the fly at a high school right now.

We’re Syracuse. He isn’t learning on the fly at a high school right now.

This is case in point on 0307s post. The horse is dust now. You wanted a different coach and aren't happy about Red or giving him an ounce of time. Everyone knows at this point. It's getting old and it's week 2.

How about we see if things get better? Is that a fair compromise?

Last edited:
83 and 89 points in first two games and the complaining is off the charts lol. This team cracked 80 once the first 10 games last year and Lost 4 of the first 6. No one is ever happy lol

80 is an arbitrary benchmark, no?

The offense looked better in the 2nd game. It was encouraging. The first game was pretty ugly and only got to 83 because of the pace of play, not offensive prowess.

I don’t think people want to admit how much we lost from last year.
Addition by subtraction I’ll take Naheem over Jesse. Joe was a mixed bag on offense and turnstile on D.

I wouldn’t start either on this team tbh.

I think we looked good first 2 games but let’s be honest 0-2 vs the spread sucks.

Colgate has won the last 2 games but there is a bigger reason that Colgate is a "big" game or benchmark game. This game the last 2 years has been what I think everyone has seen as the marking of the downfall of the 2/3 zone for JB and Cuse. They obliterated that defense these last 2 games these tams have played and now its gone for the most part. I think we are anxiously waiting to see if if the man 2 man makes a difference. If they run thru the Man then I think we'll will all worry that we have a major personnel issue and that will not be good.

The 2 games this season have been close but I have never felt the game was in doubt, just seems like we are figuring things out from players roles to coaching aspects. We have had moments of very solid def with forcing tough shots that teams made. Our offense has had up and down moments but we have scored 89 and 83. Overall I have liked the team identity of pushing the ball on offense and quick offense. On Defense I like our ball pressure but I do believe we may have to play a little more heavier help side to support the drives. I think players have expected more help at times that didn't rotate over. Thats all adjustments and fixable.

Addition by subtraction I’ll take Naheem over Jesse. Joe was a mixed bag on offense and turnstile on D.

I wouldn’t start either on this team tbh.

I think we looked good first 2 games but let’s be honest 0-2 vs the spread sucks.
Jesse is better than Naheem. I get why Girard wanted to leave and why the fans want him gone, but there was a lot of assumption JJ was a way better player based on the fact he would have improved over last season which we haven't seen so far.

Jesse is better than Naheem. I get why Girard wanted to leave and why the fans want him gone, but there was a lot of assumption JJ was a way better player based on the fact he would have improved over last season which we haven't seen so far.
Team would be dead in the water without the improved athleticism. Joe was very efficient against bad teams and had some moments but he got unlimited PT for 4 years and a constant green light. And was a primary reason we sucked on D.

NCAA hoops is guard oriented and 3 point shot oriented Judah and JJ need to hit more but that’s really my only gripe.

Your take on Jesse is center of the sun level hot.
Offensively he was skilled but got a ton of usage. On our worst team ever. Good defensive player.

Couldn’t rebound.

I don’t think he’d have a role he would be happy with on this team. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad player.

Girard would be behind JJ Judah Cope and Cuffe if he was still here IMO.

McLeod is gonna be big for us in ACC play and Maui.

Offensively he was skilled but got a ton of usage. On our worst team ever. Good defensive player.

Couldn’t rebound.

I don’t think he’d have a role he would be happy with on this team. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad player.

Girard would be behind JJ Judah Cope and Cuffe if he was still here IMO.

McLeod is gonna be big for us in ACC play and Maui.

Jesse was/is legitimately a player you can run offensive sets through. He averaged 10 boards a game last year in a zone defense. As for how he compares to McLeod, both block shots at a high rate. McLeod is bigger. Jesse moves better/quicker.

Yep. Early on on a 1 to 1 it looks like it's about Judah replacing and being as good or better than Joe and JJ filling the role Judah had and then both being combo guards.

Which means then it puts more on the other guys to improve and add on both ends. Taylor seems to be the first one taking a big step. Naheem is a step back from Jesse. Westry hurt. Benny? We don't know. Bell isn’t showing major growth and his shooting is still inconsistent ( footwork the issue I see).

All this could change for the positive but right now is what it is.

Fair enough.

I agree the defense stinks. A lot of it is effort. That is disappointing.

Also extremely concerned about our McDonalds All American's jump shot and hero ball from Judah.

Those are the things that I think everyone expected to see return this season.
I think it's going to be really interesting to see Westrys influence on our defense. When a team has an alpha defender and I have read a number of posts earlier saying he really grinds, that has a huge impact on the broader team and mindset. Effort, intensity all tick up when you have that guy. Hopefully he will have that sort of impact for our defense.
As stated before put me in the camp that Red and team deserve some patience as things get figured out.

Naheem over Jesse? Come on man.
Thats Good Shit GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom