First game and a half | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

First game and a half

The patience with Red and the rest of the staff is less than even I thought it would be. We should wait until the non-conference is over when we possibly have a full roster to see where we are at. We are missing what I think will be 2 of our top 7 in the rotation.
I said three games knowing Colgate was game three. Looks like the knives are being sharpened right on schedule.

The horse is dust now. You wanted a different coach and aren't happy about Red or giving him an ounce of time. Everyone knows at this point. It's getting old and it's week 2.
I see most of the negativism being not people wanting JAB back, but they had a fantasy where Jay Wright or similar came in and put together a top-5 team in Year 1. That was never ever happening.

I see most of the negativism being not people wanting JAB back, but they had a fantasy where Jay Wright or similar came in and put together a top-5 team in Year 1. That was never ever happening.

Yep. Everyone needs to chill out. Enjoy the ride this year and support Red and the team.

Mind you those folks weren't sending checks to help pay for that option either...

Last edited:
This is case in point on 0307s post. The horse is dust now. You wanted a different coach and aren't happy about Red or giving him an ounce of time. Everyone knows at this point. It's getting old and it's week 2.

How about we see if things get better? Is that a fair compromise?
Dude, not in the least. You seem to have this narrative towards everyone who is questioning Red. I was far from a JB fan at the end. Didn’t think Red was the right hire, but care way too much about cuse bball to hold a grudge going into the season. Have been thrilled with the recruiting, but am questioning the actual coaching.

The patience with Red and the rest of the staff is less than even I thought it would be. We should wait until the non-conference is over when we possibly have a full roster to see where we are at. We are missing what I think will be 2 of our top 7 in the rotation.
I’m counting this as a transition year and know it’s a young team with missing pieces. Help is on the way and the portal, we’re going to be good and if SU basketball was a stock I’d be loading up for that pay off in the next couple years.

Dude, not in the least. You seem to have this narrative towards everyone who is questioning Red. I was far from a JB fan at the end. Didn’t think Red was the right hire, but care way too much about cuse bball to hold a grudge going into the season. Have been thrilled with the recruiting, but am questioning the actual coaching.

No narrative. Just that people who wanted someone else are already getting impatient with unrealistic expectations no matter who the hire was and are relaying the expectations they would have unfairly had on a different hire onto Red. Your point has been made non stop since the first exhibition. Critical of Red, wanted someone else. We get it. I'm not sure why the counter of patience is somehow a narrative lol.

I’m counting this as a transition year and know it’s a young team with missing pieces. Help is on the way and the portal, we’re going to be good and if SU basketball was a stock I’d be loading up for that pay off in the next couple years.

Right. If we are going to be better somehow more than expected and a solid tourney team it's up to guys we really didn't know enough about to make that happen. It's their year to do so.. or the future will include the kids he's recruited and portal guys who can get it done.

Right now it's up in the air.

No narrative. Just that people who wanted someone else are already getting impatient with unrealistic expectations no matter who the hire was and are relaying the expectations they would have unfairly had on a different hire onto Red. Your point has been made non stop since the first exhibition. Critical of Red, wanted someone else. We get it. I'm not sure why the counter of patience is somehow a narrative lol.
You’re so off base it’s ridiculous. There’s people here who care about this team enough to question things. You don’t have to support everything around the team. I hope more than anything that we have a beyond great season and Red succeeds. Stop putting words in people’s mouths.

Yep. Everyone needs to chill out. Enjoy the ride this year and support Red and the team.

Mind you those folks weren't sending checks to help pay for that option either...

I don't agree with Fly Rodder's premise that people are impatient with Red (I don't think they are) or that it's because people wanted a big name instead.

That said, Jay Wright's salary would, or at least should, be well within in the means of Syracuse University without a big effort from boosters. Syracuse basketball makes a lot of money (profit not just revenue) compared to other large programs.

Not saying that hire was feasible or even the right move.

You’re so off base it’s ridiculous. There’s people here who care about this team enough to question things. You don’t have to support everything around the team. I hope more than anything that we have a beyond great season and Red succeeds. Stop putting words in people’s mouths.

Lol I'm a longtime fan and an alum. To somehow make the connection between the impatience and caring more is comical. You are taking this way too deep. I'm simply saying that the point is being made over and over again and we get it. Somehow that is caring and patience is not?? Talking about being off base.

Join in and contribute to the NIL and help Red and the program out out to keep things improving. That or let JW know how you feel.

Is Westry going to play this season and, if he does, is it reasonable to expect him to stay healthy?

It sucks but my outlook on this team is without Chance until I actually see him play a game then stay healthy for a month.

I don't agree with Fly Rodder's premise that people are impatient with Red (I don't think they are) or that it's because people wanted a big name instead.

That said, Jay Wright's salary would, or at least should, be well within in the means of Syracuse University without a big effort from boosters. Syracuse basketball makes a lot of money (profit not just revenue) compared to other large programs.

So it's impatience at its core be it specific to Red or not. It makes him the object of that impatience in being the coach and the guy the criticism is directed at. I don't see Wrights salary being within the means you state. There is an inaccurate perception of the money available not to mention the money and resources such a coach would demand. You better believe anyone like Wright or Pitino is going to expect a lot more assurance in NIL to take this job not to mention a big check.

Then you have to work the politics of going to a temporary hired gun. That's easier said than done and this was litigated in the coaching discussions prior to JB announcing his retirement.

There's a lot of us who put money towards the school- we watched how that has worked out with football.. not good.

Also it's not like there isn't precedent for going the non experienced route at big programs. I'm looking at this as to give it time for Red to build the team and program as he sees it. We should see a vision this year (maybe some success), major improvement and some success( tournament minimum) the next year and then the return to that standard coming by year 3. That's a fair shot to give a coach.

So when I talk patience I'm saying its the program but there is no way around it being patient with Red and letting his vision come together. Remember with Red specifically that a large portion of this team knows him as their assistant coach and confidant and that has now just changed but in reality that doesn't flip a switch. As he has guys who only know him as HC- that helps build upon what he can do this year and the kids that buy in. You have challenges whatever route you go with a coaching change.

Some of these takes are wild. This has to be one the worst fan bases in the world (in terms of just pure negativity). 2-0 and everyone acting like 0-2 and just lost both games by 30 and complaining like I didn’t even think was possible. ITS BEEN 2 GAMES. Good lord

Lol I'm a longtime fan and an alum. To somehow make the connection between the impatience and caring more is comical. You are taking this way too deep. I'm simply saying that the point is being made over and over again and we get it. Somehow that is caring and patience is not?? Talking about being off base.

Join in and contribute to the NIL and help Red and the program out out to keep things improving. That or let JW know how you feel.
Please leave my posts alone going forward.

Some of these takes are wild. This has to be one the worst fan bases in the world (in terms of just pure negativity). 2-0 and everyone acting like 0-2 and just lost both games by 30 and complaining like I didn’t even think was possible. ITS BEEN 2 GAMES. Good lord
Not close.

Bill Self just signed for 10 mil plus. Wright has to be 7 million plus in that arena.

So it's impatience at its core be it specific to Red or not. It makes him the object of that impatience in being the coach and the guy the criticism is directed at. I don't see Wrights salary being within the means you state. There is an inaccurate perception of the money available not to mention the money and resources such a coach would demand. You better believe anyone like Wright or Pitino is going to expect a lot more assurance in NIL to take this job not to mention a big check.

Then you have to work the politics of going to a temporary hired gun. That's easier said than done and this was litigated in the coaching discussions prior to JB announcing his retirement.

There's a lot of us who put money towards the school- we watched how that has worked out with football.. not good.

Also it's not like there isn't precedent for going the non experienced route at big programs. I'm looking at this as to give it time for Red to build the team and program as he sees it. We should see a vision this year (maybe some success), major improvement and some success( tournament minimum) the next year and then the return to that standard coming by year 3. That's a fair shot to give a coach.

So when I talk patience I'm saying its the program but there is no way around it being patient with Red and letting his vision come together. Remember that a large portion of this team knows him as their assistant coach and confidant and that has now just changed but in reality that doesn't flip a switch. As he has guys who only know him as HC- that helps build upon what he can do this year and the kids that buy in.

I don't think there is an aura of impatience among the fanbase right now. Absent that, I can't get onboard with any argument that Red is or will be treated unfairly by fans.

The point about Wright is moot, but if Villanova could afford Wright, Syracuse could afford Wright. He didn't give Nova much/any of a discount for his services. If it did come down to boosters, Syracuse's alumni dwarfs Nova's and Nova isn't exactly a prestigious school with a high proportion of very wealthy alums. Again, this point is moot and not at the crux of the point to be made, but Syracuse has the pockets to get a high-level coach if it wanted to. The NIL stuff would all have to be under the table because the schools are not supposed to be involved in the funding of that. My understanding is that they couldn't put a line a contract that says anything like, 'we're going to guarantee X dollars per year for recruit NIL deals.'

Nah the large majority is on board and supportive and gets this takes time and nothing is guaranteed. Some just can't get their expectations not being met immediately. It's far from an SU fan thing or sports in general. Those certain folks tend to be the most vocal and persistent demanding their point be heard.

Also not always but sometimes those most critical and impatient support the program the least too. Entitlement etc etc or whatever we want to call it.

Respectfully I don't think so. The bidding for him would be around 7 million. That would NEVER happen here or most anywhere.

I realize it's not the point but Wright has had no interest to come back into coaching that I've seen anyway. There have been some serious job opportunities out there... the fact he said no - it would take a big check even if he wanted back. Unless I missed him stating he did.

Respectfully I don't think so. The bidding for him would be around 7 million. That would NEVER happen here or most anywhere.

You are underestimating how much Syracuse makes, imo. With inflation factored in, that Villanova salary his last year would be approaching $5.5 million. So it's a $1.5 million jump you're talking about. I think that's comfortably in Syracuse's range.

There's usually the perception that public universities can outspend private universities in these instances but that tends not be to the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom