Class of 2017 - Fishes and loaves--hoops style | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Fishes and loaves--hoops style

Talk about development and our staff, check out what SVG and players have to say about Silent G! Lots of praise being thrown around thus far.

Sure would be nice to get a commit or two before November. This is uncharted territory for SU. There are only six 25-50 ranked recruits uncommitted and SU is in one (Tucker). I guess two, if Brissett counts - which he should. There are 20 of the top-25 guys left. SU is on 6 of them.

I wouldn't be as anxious if the staff had some experience with reeling in a bunch of top-25 recruits at the last minute like Cal and K do. They'll get their recruits, they always do. But someone is going to be left without chairs when the music stops.

Sure would be nice to get a commit or two before November. This is uncharted territory for SU. There are only six 25-50 ranked recruits uncommitted and SU is in one (Tucker). I guess two, if Brissett counts - which he should. There are 20 of the top-25 guys left. SU is on 6 of them.

I wouldn't be as anxious if the staff had some experience with reeling in a bunch of top-25 recruits at the last minute like Cal and K do. They'll get their recruits, they always do. But someone is going to be left without chairs when the music stops.

How many of those 25-50 guys that have committed did we have offers out to? If we weren't recruiting them, what difference does it make whether they are no longer available? If we lose out on the top 25 guys that we are actually recruiting it isn't like we can just latch onto a bunch of the 25-50 guys that we haven't laid the ground work with. Rather than count the number of guys that remain available or that have committed, just focus on who we have been chasing and how many of them are off the board vs. still out there?

I'm not saying I know that that picture is prettier, just feel like a lot of the guys that we are heavily involved with at the top of the class remain available. So I don't think it pays to focus on all the 25-50 guys leaving the field, if they weren't really going to be likely targets anyway. Also, not sure how reasonable it is for us to think we can successfully recruit top 25 - 50 guys to come in behind and in the same class as a top 25 guy at the same position. Those guys probably aren't going somewhere intending to be apprentices. Presumably we have put some time in on guys that are lower ranked than that to fill out the class behind the Plan A guys and hopefully those guys remain available and aren't committed yet, and they might be willing to serve the apprenticeship role behind the top 25 guys. Those are probably the guys that become the primary focus of Plan B, if Plan A is a complete bust.

Last edited:
... If we weren't recruiting them, what difference does it make whether they are no longer available? ...
Because nearly all of the 50-100 guys have committed and there's not a lot of Plan B. The cupboard is getting thin except for the stud recruits, which is an arena the SU has not done a lot of work in and are competing against schools that have. And those 25-100 guys are the ones that SU has historically built a class out of (one top-25 guy and a couple of 40-100 guys). It can change, sure, and it could be a monster class, but this just isn't the typical class and it's new territory for both the school and the fanbase. It's those back half players that SU typically relies on to anchor teams once they become juniors and seniors.

I haven't followed much recruiting since before 2001, but I don't think there have been any classes where SU hasn't had at least one recruit by November (if I'm wrong, so be it). Plus there are a lot of 'ships available. Perfect for those 50-100 guys who are a bit of a development project.

So, in short: lots of scholarships available + no commits + not a lot of typical SU recruits remaining = anxiousness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom