For a team that can't shoot straight | Syracusefan.com

For a team that can't shoot straight

orange03

Starter
We seem to take a real high number of 3's. Either start making them or stop taking them--We give up enough extra possessions due to our inability to rebound, we can't make it easier against better teams to give away possessions on offense as well.

Yeah I know most of them are good looks, but at some point (probably March) it's going to cost us a game and most likely our season. Have to tinker the offense to make it less reliant on shooting the ball and more so getting the ball to the rim.

I agree. Against Cinci we drove the ball a ton. Against WVU we started the game driving and then started settling. If we had kept taking it to the rim instead of kicking out for threes I don't know that the game would have been as close as it was.

Welsh made the point several times during the game that Syracuse either had one pass or no passes and hoisted a 3 which isn't in the best interest of the team.

We seem to take a real high number of 3's. Either start making them or stop taking them--We give up enough extra possessions due to our inability to rebound, we can't make it easier against better teams to give away possessions on offense as well.

Yeah I know most of them are good looks, but at some point (probably March) it's going to cost us a game and most likely our season. Have to tinker the offense to make it less reliant on shooting the ball and more so getting the ball to the rim.

So your plan is to not shoot 3's?

What do you think opposing teams would do defensively if they were very confident that you had given up trying to shoot 3's?

Of course, if your recommendation is that we start making 3's .. that's a little hard to argue with as it doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm pretty sure we are trying to make them already.

the treys missed yesterday were for the most part wide open looks. no problem there. we gotta take those shots but we best start knocking them down again to be a truly dangerous team. sure hope they start falling soon cuz this game likely wouldda been over at halftime if our shooters get ever their aim back.

So your plan is to not shoot 3's?

What do you think opposing teams would do defensively if they were very confident that you had given up trying to shoot 3's?

Of course, if your recommendation is that we start making 3's .. that's a little hard to argue with as it doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm pretty sure we are trying to make them already.
No, but definitely limit them. Doesn't really make sense for a team that doesn't shoot well to hoist 20 or so a game. This team is winning games that last years would've lost, but going 4-20 from 3 is going to be the reason we'll be making a way too early exit from the tournament. We have 3 good sized guards--have to get them to attack the basket and get the mid range game working. Taking so many 3's is settling.

the treys missed yesterday were for the most part wide open looks. no problem there. we gotta take those shots but we best start knocking them down again to be a truly dangerous team. sure hope they start falling soon cuz this game likely wouldda been over at halftime if our shooters get ever their aim back.

Im not sure we do have to take them. I don't really get warm and fuzzies when Dion or Scoop line up from deep. They seem much more effective when they drive/dish/shoot rather than line up the deep ones. All three of our guards have an inconsistent release/form, resulting in wildly inconsistent shooting.

Between watching Syracuse and the Knicks I literally might lose my mind if I have to watch another game of a bazillion threes clangining off the rim like mortar shots.

Between watching Syracuse and the Knicks I literally might lose my mind if I have to watch another game of a bazillion threes clangining off the rim like mortar shots.

Yep...there is better offense out there to be run...clearly.

just limit the threes to kickouts... they hit a better % when they are already squared up and don't have time to think about it.

We never really drove to the low post it just looked that way with all the fast breaks. Dions first dunk was a exception.
I suspect a big part of it was Kevin Jones and Kilicis strength, weight, and rebounding abilities.

Not once all game did we penetrate pass and then pentrate again. How is that even possible?
When you have penetrators like Scoop, Dion, KJO, and Now Triche that doesn't make sense at all. You want them to get all the practice they can running a dribbling weave.

No swing passes around the perimeter inside and outside. No screens especially for KJO. I Don't think we went a possesion with more then 4 passes. On the plus side though we did get Triche running the baseline more earlier in the game and KJo posted up some. Would like to see us convert more earlier on Triches cuts away from the ball.

It wasn't so much that we were missing very good looks. It was the fact we didn't do anything to respond to missing jumpers. We just kept forcing. When something isn't working its good to change things up then go back to it. To Hard headed with confidence yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom