Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
international-programmer-day.jpg

Welcome to The Day of the Programmer!

The Day of the Programmer is an international professional day that is celebrated on the 256th (hexadecimal 100th, or the 28th) day of each year (September 13 during common years and on September 12 in leap years). It is officially recognized in Russia.[1][2]

The number 256 (28) was chosen because it is the number of distinct values that can be represented with a byte, a value well-known to programmers. 256 is also the highest power of two that is less than 365, the number of days in a common year.

SU News

Syracuse men's basketball releases full schedule (DO; McCleary)

Syracuse released its full men’s basketball schedule Thursday night. Atlantic Coast Conference games were announced on an ACC Network conference-wide schedule release.

The Orange take road trips to Miami, Florida State and Virginia in the conference slate and play home games against Duke and North Carolina at the beginning and end of February, respectively.

Here is SU’s full season schedule.

Oct. 26 – Daemen College (Carrier Dome, exhibition)
Oct. 29 – Carleton College (Carrier Dome, exhibition)
Nov. 6 – Virginia (Carrier Dome)
Nov. 13 – Colgate (Carrier Dome)
Nov. 16 — Seattle (Carrier Dome)
Nov. 20 – Cornell (Carrier Dome)
Nov. 23 — Bucknell (Carrier Dome)
Nov. 27 – NIT Season Tipoff vs. Ole Miss/Oklahoma State/Penn State (Barclays Center)
Nov. 29 – NIT Season Tipoff (Barclays Center)
Dec. 3 – Iowa (ACC/Big Ten Challenge, Carrier Dome)
Dec. 8 — Georgia Tech (McCamish Pavillion)
Dec. 14 – Georgetown (Capital One Arena)
Dec. 18 – Oakland (Carrier Dome)
Dec. 21 — North Florida (Carrier Dome)
Dec. 28 — Niagara (Carrier Dome)
Jan. 4 — Notre Dame (Carrier Dome)
Jan. 7 — Virginia Tech (Carrier Dome)

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article234970907.html (newsobserver.com; Wiseman)

ACC basketball’s new world, with its own television network now a prime outlet to watch more league games than ever, begins earlier than ever for everyone but Duke.

The Blue Devils 2019-20 basketball schedule, announced Thursday night, doesn’t include the season opening with an ACC game. Due to its Champions Classic obligation, Duke is exempt from opening the season with a league game. The other 14 league teams play each other and four of those seven games are designed to provide premium content for the new ACC Network Nov. 5-6.

Duke makes up for that by opening its now 20-game ACC season on Dec. 6 at Virginia Tech. The Blue Devils second league game, on Dec. 31, is at home against Boston College.

Full ACC Men’s Basketball schedule released (streakingthelawn.com; Darney)

The Virginia Cavaliers will have their work cut out for them right out the gate as the full ACC Men’s Basketball schedule was released Thursday night. The release didn’t go quite as planned as the women’s soccer game between No. 6 Florida State and No. 24 Colorado went to overtime on the ACC Network.

We already knew that the reigning National Champions would hit the road for Syracuse to open the season on November 6, but things don’t get easier (as is normally the case in the ACC) as Virginia will follow up the game with the Orange with games against North Carolina and Virginia Tech.

If the Virginia Football season progresses as fans hope, that North Carolina game could take place in Charlottesville the same day the ACC Championship Game in Charlotte as it’s a flex game on either December 6th or 7th. That game also comes three days after Virginia hits the road for Purdue in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge, a game that will tip off at either 7:15 or 7:30 pm and be broadcast on ESPN or ESPN2.

The Hoos only have one Saturday-Monday turnaround — Georgia Tech on January 18 and NC State on January 20 — but also plays in a Sunday-Tuesday turnaround (Wake Forest and Florida State, January 26 and 28, respectively).

Virginia hosts Duke on February 29th (leap year!), and closes the regular season against Louisville on March 7.

Here’s the full schedule:

2019-20 Virginia Men’s Basketball Schedule

Noie: Notre Dame might ask for do-over on ACC men's basketball schedule (ndinsider.com; Noie)

Imagine the fire breathed over the phone to the league office from a certain Hall of Fame basketball coach down Tobacco Road way whose name is hard to spell had his team been handed a similar conference gauntlet.

Think of all the whine from another Hall of Famer in Central New York had his team, coming off a losing league season, been given that conference challenge.

Had some teams been asked to do what the Atlantic Coast Conference asks of Notre Dame following Thursday’s national release of the 2019-20 league schedule (one too few around town saw, thanks ACC Network), their coaches might howl for hours about how the league did their programs dirty.

Inside Rolfs Hall, all was quiet. Publicly, Notre Dame coach Mike Brey will grin and bear it. Well, grin and play it. He’ll put on his happy interview face and talk of the great challenges of league play, of how so many NCAA tournament resume wins are there for the possible taking.

Privately, Brey likely will stew over one stretch of the ACC schedule. For a program that hasn’t been to the NCAA tournament since 2017, this league schedule might as well be dubbed “Mission Impossible.”

Yet Brey remains the good ACC solider; he’ll carry on with his conference marching orders. He won’t speak out, even though he might want to. Might have to.

It’s almost as if Brey’s too nice of a guy when it comes to complaining about the conference schedule. As in, he won’t. Ever. You know what they say about said nice guys. They finish last, something Brey and the Irish did last season when they beat only two league teams before bottoming out with a 3-15 conference record.

Other

S73IFJ3P5NFAPDZYUXCN3TOEPQ.jpg

The Mortadella sandwich from The Fair Deli Mart in Lakeland.

Secret Sandwiches of CNY, Part 2: 12 great spots you shared (pass it on) (PS; Miller)

Last month we told you about 12 spots to get a great sandwich in Central New York that you probably didn’t know about.

Those were just a handful of the lesser-known spots, and I knew we had so many more in the area. So I asked readers for their suggestions. Hundreds of you responded, many on our “Where Syracuse Eats” Facebook page.

I compiled a list of the places mentioned most and hit the road. I bought one or two sandwiches at each of them, and I met some fun people along the way who joined me in testing the food.

Here is your list of 12 places that make a good sandwich. They’re listed in the order of my visit.

This just proves that Central New York knows how to make a killer sandwich.

Fair Deli Mart
Address: 757 State Fair Blvd., Lakeland

From the traffic outside, you’d think the New York State Fair was still going on. Of course, that’s a slight exaggeration, but the lot at this beer and sandwich shop was full, and the line at the counter was seven deep.

This was the day after the Fair ended, and the regulars were coming back.

“They know where to get a good sandwich,” a customer says from the back of the line.

Murad Marji, who has owned the store with his wife Annie since 2000, cracks a smile and proceeds to tell the front of the line about the day’s specialty sandwich: the Mortadella.

The Mortadella is thinly-sliced Italian bologna, mixed greens, thick-sliced tomatoes and mayonnaise on a soft white sub roll. A few of the customers asked Murad what the meat was like. He handed a slice to each one asking. It didn’t taste or look like Oscar Mayer.

Kosta’s Pizza House
Address: 225 E. Manlius St., East Syracuse

Kosta Kousmanidis serves up a gyro at his East Syracuse restaurant. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Kosta Kousmanidis serves up a gyro at his East Syracuse restaurant. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Kosta’s has been at the corner of East Manlius Street and McCool Avenue for 32 years. It’s the kind of friendly neighborhood restaurant where you come for the food and stay for the show.

Go ahead and ask Kosta Kousmanidis what his best sandwich is.

“Everything here is the best,” he says. “They’re the best because I make everything on the menu with a lot of love. You want a sandwich? I make it with love. You want a pizza? I make it with love. Spaghetti? Made with true love."

Just then, the phone rings.

“If it’s my wife, tell her I’m not here. If it’s my girlfriend, tell her I love her and take a message,” he says to no one in particular.

After that, he gets serious. He recommends a gyro and the Kosta’s Delight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom