Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

B9316458378Z.1_20150303103256_000_GDHA45FTS.1-0.jpg

Kentucky, Aging Rupp Arena Beaten Again

Syracuse Claims Attendance Crown Over UK, UL (courier-journal.com; Lintner)

Syracuse's basketball team isn't eligible to compete in college basketball's postseason, but the Orange still claimed a championship of sorts.

For the second year in a row, the Orange clinched the home attendance crown with 25,388 fans at Monday night's loss to Virginia at the Carrier Dome. In both of Syracuse's seasons as an Atlantic Coast Conference member, coach Jim Boeheim's teams have drawn largest crowds in college hoops.

Last season, Syracuse averaged 25,253, again boosted by the first ACC season that included a visit from Duke. This season, the final number is 23,525.

The Carrier Dome's capacity for basketball is listed at 35,446.

UK, which was No. 1 in attendance from 2005-2013, is expected to finished second and, as it has since opening the KFC Yum! Center, Louisville third. The NCAA's official numbers are released each summer.

As Syracuse.com's Mike Waters pointed out, UK would have to draw a crowd far over capacity — about 29,000 — for Saturday's final home game against Florida to surpass the Orange. Though games at Rupp Arena are regularly announced at more than 23,500, an extra 6,000-plus is impossible.

Assuming a sold-out crowd Saturday for UK, the Cats will average over capacity. Syracuse filled 66 percent of the Carrier Dome's seats.

ACC News

17167509-mmmain.jpg

GT Coach Brian Gregory Had a Tough Year, Going 3-15 in League Play

ACC Basketball Night in Review; NC State Upends Clemson, Improve Chance for NCAA Bid (PS; Stevens)

N.C. State bounced back from an ugly loss to win at Clemson.

Georgia Tech lost its best player less than four minutes into what became a lopsided loss to North Carolina.

Clemson's Gabe DeVoe more than doubled his season scoring output for the Tigers.

That, plus a look at Wednesday's three games, in the ACC basketball night in review.

NIGHT TO REMEMBER

N.C. State

All that really matters for N.C. State (18-12, 9-8 ACC) at this stage is winning games, which is exactly what the Wolfpack did with a 66-61 triumph at Clemson.

It wasn't particularly easy, and it definitely wasn't picturesque (N.C. State trailed 21-20 at halftime). But after a lamentably poor performance at Boston College on Saturday, the Wolfpack managed recover and not cause itself too much aggravation as it chases an NCAA tournament berth. A victory over Syracuse on Saturday should be enough to safely place N.C. State into the field.

NIGHT TO FORGET

Marcus Georges-Hunt, Georgia Tech

The Yellow Jackets' best player suffered a right foot injury before the first media timeout, a loss that effectively doomed Georgia Tech to the wrong end of a name-your-score scenario with North Carolina. The Tar Heels (21-9, 11-6) ultimately cruised to an 81-49 victory.

Other

SRCArena.jpg

Should Section 3 Basketball Playoff Games Be Played at OCC or at the Carrier Dome? (PS; Webb)

SRC Arena at Onondaga Community College wrapped up a successful weekend hosting the Section III basketball tournament semifinals. And it will turn around and serve as host for the tournament championship games Saturday and Sunday.

Syracuse University's Carrier Dome had hosted championship games the last few years, but the high school crowd got the boot this year because of a conflict with a Monster Jam Truck Show.

Some high school players and coaches are disappointed. They say it's a huge thrill for them to play on Jim Boeheim Court, use the same locker rooms as the Orange and play inside Central New York's most famous landmark.

Others, especially parents and students, say the set-up at OCC is more accessible, costs less and offers a better basketball environment for high school games. There are no $15 parking fees, concession stand prices don't rival those at movie theaters, and the crowd isn't lost in the sea of empty seats.

Last edited:
So how did the Syracuse Orange win 18 games this season? Here's how (PS: Waters)

So how did SU win 18 games? The answer is simple. It involves no statistical analysis and no advanced metrics. It's as simple as looking at the win-loss column.

Syracuse beat 16 weaker opponents and pulled off two upsets. That's it.

That's not a knock. In fact, it's to the Orange's credit that it's gone 18-12. This is a team that unexpectedly lost two starters early to the NBA in Tyler Ennis and Jerami Grant. It's a team that never had Dajuan Coleman (knee surgery) and lost Chris McCullough (ACL injury) just three games into the ACC portion of the schedule.

A lot of teams might have bottomed out. The Orange found their level.

chris carlson ‏@ccarlsononSU
Boeheim: Clearing up the 18-win statement. ... "I'm as proud of this team as I was of the previous year's team."

Boeheim: "Iowa will be an NCAA team. Notre Dame and Louisville were tremendous wins."

Boeheim: "Villanova will be a tournament team, probably a No. 1 seed. We were seconds away from winning that game."

Boeheim: "I don't think we'd ever say we're satisfied with 18 wins or 9 in conference. That's not something normally we'd be happy with.

Boeheim: When we lost Chris McCullough we lost a guy who was a key factor on both ends of the court. He would have gotten to be a much better player. That was a devastating loss. This group has done everything we could ask it to do."

Boeheim: Rakeem has had to go from a role player to the best on our team and best in the conference, which I believe he is.

Boeheim: You have to look at numbers. He had 10 points in his final game. He was double-teamed every play by the best d-team in the country.

Boeheim: If you get 19 or 20 open 3s, you have to be able to make 6 or 7.

Boeheim: This team has accomplished what it could. With the circumstances this team has faced (McCullough, Coleman) this team has accomplished a lot

Boeheim: There's not a statistic for drawing double-teams. There's not a question for what he accomplished.

Boeheim on NBA and XMas; I believe they need big guys. I believe he can guard both positions, can rebound well enough to play at NBA level.

Boeheim on NBA: They feel they have enough scorers. Point guards are scoring 25 or 30. These guys are 25, 30 a game scorers.

Boeheim: Leadership is what you do on and off the court. I've seen vocal guys who don't do what they should do on the court.

Boeheim: I believe we've competed every game. Duke and Virginia are just better than we are. They're better than most anyone.

Boeheim: Sherman Douglass, Adrian Autry, Jason Hart they all struggled as freshmen. MCW, it would have been a struggle.

Boeheim: I think it's normal. Losing Chris hurt because he helps our defense.

Boeheim: If we shot it a little better we would have been an NCAA team. Two more wins. That would have been a good year.

Boeheim: Kaleb may start on Saturday. He'll play.

Boeheim: When NC State is ready they beat UNC on the road, they beat Louisville and they beat Duke. They'll be ready to play.

Boeheim: I have no idea who will be here next year. I never do. I thought Jerami Grant, Tyler Ennis were gonna be here this year

Boeheim on Kaleb: I've seen such change in players from freshman to sophomore years. Sherman is the biggest surprise. We had no idea. He was first-team all-conference. There was nothing that would indicate that.

Boeheim: Kaleb Joseph has payed some good minutes. He's had good stretches in other games.

Boeheim: We don't know (about next year) we'll see what next year brings.

Last edited:
Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim sees 'tremendous changes' for Orange this off-season (PS: Waters)

There is just one senior on the Syracuse basketball team this year, but Jim Boeheim isn't sure who will be the Orange's roster next year.

On Wednesday, though, the Syracuse coach hinted at some major personnel changes before the start of the 2015-16 season.

"I'm not sure what next year is going to bring,'' Boeheim said Wednesday. "I think we're going to go through some tremendous changes in this off-season.''

Rakeem Christmas, Syracuse's starting center and the only senior on the team, will graduate this spring. And there are no candidates to enter the NBA draft. So Boeheim's comments would seem to indicate that one or more players could decide to transfer.

"You never know who's going to be here,'' Boeheim said. "Recruiting's still going on. I have no idea who's going to be here next year. I never do. I thought Jerami Grant and Tyler Ennis were going to be here this year. They aren't.''