Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
army-black-knights-at-michie-stadium.jpg
Welcome to Army Day!

Army Day honors those in the United States Army. It was created as a nationwide observance to draw attention to national defense, to acquaint the public with the Army's activities, and to highlight the need for military preparedness. Defense Test Day was held in 1924 and 1925. Congress did away with it and the Military Order of the World War under the direction of Colonel Thatcher Luquer established Army Day, which was first held on May 1, 1928. That date was chosen to try to overshadow the celebration of International Workers' Day by Communists. But, the following year it began being celebrated on April 6, on the anniversary of the United States' entry into World War I. On April 4, 1936, Franklin Roosevelt issued a proclamation for the day saying it should be acknowledged by Congress and be observed nationwide on April 6. Accordingly, Congress passed Resolution 5-75 on March 1, 1937, officially establishing Army Day. The day was last observed nationally on April 6, 1949. It was then replaced by Armed Forces Day. That new holiday did away with officially celebrating days dedicated to the Army, Navy, and Air Force, although Army Day continued to be observed unofficially.

SU News

Screen-Shot-2022-01-15-at-11.42.43-PM.png

Sean Tucker joined Syracuse's track team for the indoor season this winter.

Sean Tucker, while inexperienced, joined track in high school to help football career (DO; Philipkosky)

In the championship heat of the season’s final race, Sean Tucker, then a high school sophomore, lined up against his biggest rival, DeJuan Ellis. Tucker’s chain — one he had never worn in a race before — touched the rubber track as he leaned into the starting blocks.

After the starting gun was fired, Tucker flew through the race, defeating Ellis. It was one of Tucker’s biggest wins of his track and field career, former teammate Kaelin Wade said, and came in one of the biggest meets of the season.

“He finally beat the kid, and hit the wall screaming with pride and happiness,” Wade said.

Tucker and a few other football players had been asked to join the Calvert Hall College track and field team, Wade said, and Tucker’s journey in the sport began in ninth grade at Calvert Hall College High School (Md.) and ultimately led to two 55-meter dash indoor titles and eventually, a dual-sport career at Syracuse. Head coach Dino Babers said Friday that Tucker has gotten significantly faster since last season, something Babers attributed to Tucker joining the Syracuse track team this offseason.

At the start of his first-ever track season, though, former Calvert Hall coach Daniel Harper didn’t think much of Tucker. Harper said Tucker was fast, but nothing about him “stood out” during the first few weeks.

But after those first few weeks, Tucker began to show why he was special, Harper said. Unlike some runners, Tucker was just learning how to run track. This, though, allowed Harper to mold Tucker into the right style of runner. Tucker didn’t have any bad habits — he had no habits — and it was easy for Tucker to learn the right technique from the start, Harper said.

KY2EFCIK3FBY7MVHKQJTY6VDSA.jpg

Riley Dixon (9) of the New York Giants punts during the second half the NFL football game between the New York Giants and the Los Angeles Rams at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on 10/17/21. The Rams won 38-11. Chris Faytok | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Former Syracuse and CBA star Riley Dixon signs with Super Bowl champs (PS; Carlson)

Former Syracuse and Christian Brothers Academy star Riley Dixon has signed with the Los Angeles Rams, the team announced on Tuesday.

Dixon was released by the New York Giants after last season in a move made largely to improve the team’s salary cap position. Dixon, 28, has been in the NFL for six seasons, the last four with the Giants.

He punted 74 times last year, averaging 44.4 yards per kick and 39.5 in net yards. Both numbers ranked 21st in the league. Dixon’s numbers in previous seasons were better. The previous season, for instance, Dixon had more than 43 percent of his kicks downed inside the opponent’s 20-yard-line.

The move takes Dixon from one of the worst teams in the NFL to one of the league’s best.

In Los Angeles he will replace the franchise’s long-time punter Johnny Hekker, who averaged 44.2 yards per kick and 42.6 net yards last season. Hekker, a four-time Pro Bowler, was also released for salary cap reasons and went on to sign with the Carolina Panthers.

Local college football: Roscoe, others aim to be NFL draft hopefuls thanks to Syracuse’s Pro Day (nny360.com; St Croix)

Cody Roscoe became an unlikely star for the Syracuse University football team and took the next step Thursday toward trying to defy the odds again as an NFL draft selection.

Roscoe was one of six former Orange standouts to take part in SU’s NFL Pro Day at the Ensley Athletic Center, performing on-field drills and workouts for league personnel in hopes of entering the draft mix or garnering a future training camp invitation.

Roscoe produced 33 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press — a higher total than any recorded at the recent NFL Scouting Combine — to highlight the performance that drew positive feedback from scouts on hand representing roughly a dozen NFL teams.

The 6-foot-1 and 275-pound defensive lineman was a First Team All-ACC selection and Midseason AP All-American in his second season at SU after transferring from FCS McNeese State.

“I’m always having to prove it, always have a chip on my shoulder,” Roscoe said. “I feel like all throughout life I carry myself that way, I always have to prove that I’m supposed to be here and that I can play this game with the best of them.”

He added: “I’m one of the better pass rushers in this draft class, that’s just my honest opinion, and stats and numbers, win rates on pass rushes can show that, but I’m just here to prove myself one day at a time. I just need to get into a camp and get an opportunity to show people that I can still play this game.”

Roscoe also ran the 40-yard dash in 4.8 seconds, clocked a 4.32-second mark in the short shuttle drill, 7 seconds in the three-cone drill, and went 9-feet, 8-inches on the broad jump, according to figures provided by an SU official.

He drew a round of applause from scouts and current SU players and coaches scattered around the practice field following a set through the cones.

The native of Houston posted 8½ sacks to rank third in the ACC and 26th nationally this past season. His 12½ tackles-for-loss ranked 12th in the ACC and he led SU defensive linemen with 46 tackles.

Roscoe appeared in all 23 games for his SU tenure and finished with 10 sacks and 17 TFLs, and he registered 16 sacks and 26 TFLs in 30 games at McNeese State prior to transferring.

Roscoe said that he was aiming to display versatility on Pro Day, proving he has the athleticism to drop in coverage and rush passers in the pros.

Obituaries in Athens, GA | Athens Banner-Herald (ontheathens.com)

Obituary

Send Flowers

Edward Louis Reardon

Athens - Edward Louis Reardon, 75, of Athens, passed away Thursday, March 31, 2022.

Born in Dorchester, MA, Ed was a son of the late Paul Daniel Reardon and Margaret Jacobsen Reardon.

Ed played football, basketball and baseball at Holbrook High School in Massachusetts. His best sport was football. He was the Holbrook Bulldogs starting quarterback both his junior and senior years. Offensively, he was an exceptional passer as well as a deceptive runner. He also played linebacker on defense. During the South Shore Jamboree game, in bad weather, Ed kicked an outstanding 50-yard punt.

The 1963 May-Shore title game versus Hull was a memorable one. At quarterback Ed directed a formidable back-field consisting of Holbrook Hall of Famer, Joe Nugent, Bill Hess and Paul Hogan to a 38-15 romp over Hull. In the victory, Ed passed for a touchdown, ran for a touchdown, ran and passed for two two-point conversions and to complete his exceptional performance, Ed intercepted a pass to stifle a Hull drive.

Ed was selected to the 1963 Brockton Enterprise All-Scholastic Football Team. Ed received a full scholarship to play football at Syracuse University. At Syracuse, Ed saw limited playing time, although teammates thought he should have played more. Ed received the nickname "South Salina Quarterback" when he played quarterback for the alumni team. The story goes, at the beginning of his senior year, the alumni team wanted Ed to play quarterback for them versus the starting varsity team. Ed led the alumni team to a resounding win! "South Salina" represents the tough resilient community around Syracuse. He graduated with a degree in sociology. He signed a free-agent contract with the San Diego Chargers.

In 1969, Ed went into the Army and served with honors in Vietnam. He received the Bronze Star, Army Commendation Medal, and the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry.

After the service, Ed worked for Shell Oil, lived in Stoughton, MA, and eventually moved his family to the South, and lived in many great places like Marietta, GA, Birmingham, AL, Bay St. Louis, MS, Pensacola, FL, Gainesville, FL, and Vero Beach, FL, then leaving the hurricanes behind, moving back to Snellville, GA, and finally Athens, GA. Through the years, while he and his wife, Robyn ran hotels, retirement centers, and self-storage facilities, Ed was known for mentoring staff; they loved "Mr. Ed" or "Mr. R" and he was very involved with many charities that were especially for battered and abused women and children.

Survivors, in addition to his wife, Robyn Windsor Reardon, are his twins: Amy and Chad; "favorite" son-in-law, Joe; and five grandchildren: Sage, Kelly, Kelsey, Solei, and Zaelan.

ACC football: Projecting preseason win totals for every team (247sports.com; Crawford)

After taking one on the chin last season from a College Football Playoff standpoint following an end to Clemson's reign, the ACC hopes to return to national title contention with a point to prove in 2022 with several teams capable of being in the mix according to our preseason projected win totals.

Depending on your preferred way-too-early top 25, the ACC boasts as many as five programs perceived to be contenders nationally, including N.C. State, Miami and Wake Forest, three teams who welcome back a load of returning starters — including their star-level quarterbacks.

Partnering with fellow 247Sports national analyst Bud Elliott for this project, we're projecting every ACC team's win total this season and giving you a lean — over or under — for each program based on various factors include schedule favorability, roster expectations and coaching edge.

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Bud's win total projection: 7
Brad's best bet: Even; This one feels right on the number for Boston College, a program that should feel pretty good about its 2022 season with quarterback Phil Jurkovec returning and a schedule — in terms of favorability — that the Eagles could be catching at the right time. They'll open against Rutgers from the Big Ten, then travel to Virginia Tech to try and spoil Brent Pry's first home game as coach of the Hokies. From there, the Eagles take on Maine, at Florida State and Louisville before an all-important matchup with Clemson. Road games against NC State and Notre Dame are losses in November, so racking up the wins early is key.

PITTSBURGH PANTHERS

Bud's win total projection: 9
Brad's best bet: Even; Buy low and sell high on the defending ACC Coastal champions. Unfortunately at this preseason price, this will make me stay away. Replacing Kenny Pickett and play-caller Mark Whipple leads me to believe the Panthers' offense will not be as potent as it was during the 2021 campaign, but that's just a guess. Since Miami is my preseason pick to win the division, projecting the Panthers to take a step back back is, by default, a necessity. However, the schedule is soft enough in parts that even with a loss to the Hurricanes and Tennessee in Week 2, Pittsburgh should be able to finish, at worst, 9-3, unless trips to Virginia and North Carolina are tricky.

SYRACUSE ORANGE

Bud's win total projection: 6
Brad's best bet: Over; Given the lack of national spotlight on Syracuse, you're not going to hear about this nationally during the preseason ACC build-up, but Dino Babers needs to win this season. His only winning campaign with the Orange came in 2018 when the program managed 10 victories. Since that season, Babers is 11-24 overall. Syracuse is hoping the return of Mississippi State transfer quarterback Garrett Shrader and 1,500-yard tailback Sean Tucker benefits an offense that led the conference on the ground last fall. Those two should be better and could improve the Orange's win total as a result. The first five games of the year are winnable prior to a midseason open week before a showdown against N.C. State. That's more than enough to eventually hit the over.

Where College Football is Now and Where it Goes in the Future: ACC (gobblercountry.com; Fahvaag)

This is funny coming from a fan of a school in the middle of nowhere...

We’re back at it, and this time it’s a good hard look at our home conference the Atlantic Coast Conference (aka – Tobacco Road, plus some guys). The first reality of the Conference that we see hit people is a sort of geographic “nonsense” that places Pittsburg, Syracuse and Louisville remotely close to the Atlantic Coast. Maybe with Eastern New York being the northern most mid-Atlantic state… but Western New York has almost nothing to do with the city, and is actually closer to the Rust Belt Great Lakes region. Pittsburgh has always been “eastern” but it’s past most of the mountains and really is an industrial Ohio River city (origin of that river, for the geography challenged) city and that goes for Louisville as well. AND THEN there is the very industrial city on the southern shores of lake Michigan (South Bend, Indiana) that provides teams to the conference in every sport BUT football, Notre Dame.

The Irishman in the Sitting Room

As they say, therein lays the rub. Notre Dame football operates as its own conference. It’s a national football phenom with its own big-name contract with NBC Sports and a national following that often has absolutely nothing to do with any sort of alumni status with the university. To many folks in college football fandom, Notre Dame is “the core” of college football. That gives the program a monster level of negotiating power, and a serious individual revenue flow that it neither share nor part with. No rational fiduciary would, either. We’ll talk about that later, but for now let’s leave Notre Dame on the edge of the basic football analysis – it’ll come in as a hypothetical and a poll question. (Yes, we are going to make up for the lack of a Big XII poll by hitting you up twice in this article.)

The Current Situation is Unbalanced and Chaotic

On the surface the ACC seems to be fairly stable. The conference has been through three expansion/departure periods over the last generation, most notably the 2004/5 (Miami, Tech, BC) and 2013/4 (Pitt, Cuse, Louisville) pulses. The conference lost Maryland (an original member) to the B1G back in 2013/14 and the Cardinals were the replacement balance. Of course, Notre Dame joined in 2013 for everything but football.

The following is the current grid for the football conference:

The ACC for 2022 - 2025

TeamGradeComment
Atlantic Division
Boston College EaglesC+Once a real threat and big winner in the Big East, now a middling player
Clemson TigersAAs of now - until the Nictator leaves Alabama and Dabo hangs in SC - this is the only playoff viable team in the ACC
North Carolina State WolfpackB+We saw a slight resurgence last season. They can routinely challenge for the Atlantic if Clemson is down
Florida State SeminolesC+Once great - now struggling - lots of money - lots of NIL potential - will improve or be a mess permanently
Louisville CardinalsC+Another Basketball program with an occasional good football season
Syracuse OrangeCMost people do not even know where it is - old - worn - outdated - like most of New York State
Wake Forest Demon DeaconsB+This season was a surprise - ceiling is still a B in general but there is no telling how long it will last
Coastal Division
Duke Blue DevilsCGreat coach fired, new coach unknown, rarely above their B ceiling
Georgia Tech Yellow JacketsC-Georgia Tech's floor is where it is - the ceiling isn't better than a B - though
Miami (FL) HurricanesB-New coach - lots of hype - little return on that investment - with the money and NIL potential still a high ceiling
North Carolina Tar HeelsBA basketball school with a football team that can win the Costal but not beat a healthy Clemson
Pittsburgh PanthersB+Nardo is a drama queen on the sideline but challenges for the Coastal often and win in a down Clemson season.
Virginia CavaliersCA basketball school that doesn't really give a rip about football - at all
Virginia Tech HokiesC+New coach - lots of history - failed next guy - hoping this is the floor - the ceiling is at least an A-

Notre Dame makes historic football game vs Tennessee State (localsyr.com)

Notre Dame will make history in its 2023 home opener by hosting Tennessee State on Sept. 2, marking the first time the Fighting Irish have faced a Historically Black College or University.

School officials made the announcement Tuesday and credited second-year Tigers coach Eddie George, the 1995 Heisman Trophy winner, and Tennessee State athletic director Mikki Allen with creating the vision to schedule the game that will be televised nationally on NBC.

“We’re excited to bring a pair of great academic institutions that are steeped in tradition together in 2023,” Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said in a statement. “I’m thrilled we’re able to bring the Tigers and the Irish together for a weekend that will feature programs with over 20 combined national titles, the Aristocrat of Bands and the Band of the Fighting Irish.”

Other

VMIJJ237F5BN5O2WXRGSXEI7UI.JPEG

Shutout loss doesn’t steal from Syracuse Mets’ Opening Day excitement (photos) (PS; Zulkofske)

New York Mets legend Mookie Wilson made up for lost time at NBT Bank Stadium on Tuesday night.

Wilson, who famously hit a groundball through Bill Buckner’s legs in the 1986 World Series, threw out the first pitch before the Syracuse Mets opened their 2022 season.

Years ago, Wilson was supposed to throw out a first pitch in Syracuse, but he remembers getting jammed up at the airport and missing the game.

“Man, my arm is killing me. I haven’t thrown a baseball in so many years. But I think I’ll get it to home plate,” Wilson said smiling before tossing a ball high to his catcher. “I was expecting it to be windy, a little snow, sleet maybe. But to see the sun shining, it’s beautiful. I’m really surprised this time of year.”

The Mets later lost to the New York Yankees affiliate in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre 5-0. But Wilson, a gray goatee on his chin and a trucker hat on his head, said there’s nothing like the excitement of Opening Day.

“There’s no better place to be on a nice sunny day,” Wilson said.

I remember Ed Reardon from college days. I was at a few parties with him. R.I.P.