For those of you obsessed with attendance | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

For those of you obsessed with attendance

You would think they would be marketing the hell out of this...primetime night game, 1st game, 1st "normal" game with no covid rules or masks, heisman candidate RB. But no...all I've seen is 1 short video on Twitter and a few posts. What are they doing???

Syracuse has long needed to outsource *this* piece of the marketing department

We apparently have all these millions of Syracuse Football fans (which... LOL) but have no sense of marketing or outreach.

Syracuse is terrified of the "leave raking, apple picking' group. You know what's a great thing to promote before your 8pm game? All the wonderful things to do in Upstate NY before tailgate time.

Do we know what level seasons sold as compared to previous years? My world is small but i know more who dropped than added.

Syracuse has long needed to outsource *this* piece of the marketing department

We apparently have all these millions of Syracuse Football fans (which... LOL) but have no sense of marketing or outreach.

Syracuse is terrified of the "leave raking, apple picking' group. You know what's a great thing to promote before your 8pm game? All the wonderful things to do in Upstate NY before tailgate time.

The leaf raking thing was a joke that someone made that wont die but the apple picking/fall weekend crowd is definitely a real thing SU battles against. I am not sure anything but winning will draw a good size portion of that crowd back in but its clearly an issue for the Sept and early October home games. Again winning is probably the only thing that will move a bunch of people but even by SU standards the marketing attempts this year have been laughably bad.

The leaf raking thing was a joke that someone made that wont die but the apple picking/fall weekend crowd is definitely a real thing SU battles against. I am not sure anything but winning will draw a good size portion of that crowd back in but its clearly an issue for the Sept and early October home games. Again winning is probably the only thing that will move a bunch of people but even by SU standards the marketing attempts this year have been laughably bad.

Haha it can't die on this board

But exactly. Winning 98% solves these issues ... but you have to do something different before I just start assuming you want to collect a check from the ACC

Probably best to lower your expectations now, ticketmaster map looks bleak and theres almost no buzz locally. Likely struggle to hit 30K
30K is MAC number, not even AAC number.

Syracuse football is a bottom 10 program right now. Attendance won't change until we see 3-4 years of sustained consistency. That being 3-4 straight bowl games. Absent that, this is like seeing a bottom dwelling team. You won't get casual fans or people to travel 3 plus hours to see this product.

The empty calorie fixes aren't even available this year. When you switch a coach you get some curious casuals to show up.

The program needs a MASSIVE year to inflate people's interest. The attendance IMO will only rise with a good 8 plus win season coupled with a repeat in 2023/2024 at a minimum.

People showed up on the back end of 2018, and started to in 2019. This isn't an MLB rebuild as far as fans go.

People showed up on the back end of 2018, and started to in 2019. This isn't an MLB rebuild as far as fans go.

They did and it was a novelty to see SU w a ranking next to it for football. Prob the first time since 2001.

I’m talking about people taking that interest and going all in for following year.

The program stinks. Didn’t want to say it like that but when you can’t cobble 2 bowl seasons in a row in an era when a pulse gets it done people lose interest and rake leaves, apple pick and antique

the ability to resell tickets so easily still cuts into the ticket counts the last 20-30 yrs. in the 90s to get rid of a ticket you had to know someone or show up at the dome.. now people just buy expecting to sell and then people pick up cheap tickets easily where in the past they would have bought tickets for the most part at the dome. Who knows how much resell or stubhub cuts in but its got to be 10-25% in some game cases.

I do think we end up with 32-34k sold for the game just because thats what history shows is the bottom for a decent game and at night.
Almost seems like you have a little experience here!

What I would be curious about is what is the magnitude of tickets put up for resale on spec - higher than season ticket per game cost - that don’t sell on the marketplace but are ultimately used by the season ticket holder or given away.

I was at a get together last Saturday and when I told everyone that we have two season tickets with parking for $350 everyone seemed impressed and kind of interested.. and I’m two hours away. It’s such a bargain I’m kind of surprised there aren’t more STH, even with the last two decades of underperforming.

350 divided by 7, that’s 50. So a three hour game plus a couple hours of tailgating, that’s $50 a games for 5-6 hours of solid fun.

I was at a get together last Saturday and when I told everyone that we have two season tickets with parking for $350 everyone seemed impressed and kind of interested.. and I’m two hours away. It’s such a bargain I’m kind of surprised there aren’t more STH, even with the last two decades of underperforming.

350 divided by 7, that’s 50. So a three hour game plus a couple hours of tailgating, that’s $50 a games for 5-6 hours of solid fun.
I think amongst the very casual SU fan it is widely unknown how cheap tickets are. I told some guys you could get in the Louisville game for 11.00 and they didn’t believe me. I don’t think people are aware of the sliding scale for tickets.

I don’t disagree, and I know sometimes the math says you’ll make more money with a $40 empty seat than a $15 taken seat, but sign me up for making the corners and end zones 15 bucks (or 20 for parents and 10 for anyone college aged and under or something like that). At least for non-marquee games (basically anything not ND this year).

If a $99 season ticket holder gets upset that people got $15 tickets to sit in the corner against Louisville Labor Day weekend, they need to reevaluate their outlook on attending games. I’ve had season tickets for football and mbb, and accepted that a huge chunk of my annual price went to Clemson and Duke games.

I also think football games should be free for students (with a cap on total # obviously)

As a $99 season ticket holder (and I love my seats in the last row), I sure as heck won't get mad if they let everyone in for free. And $15x7 = $105...so I'm definitely not getting mad at that price point.

I think amongst the very casual SU fan it is widely unknown how cheap tickets are. I told some guys you could get in the Louisville game for 11.00 and they didn’t believe me. I don’t think people are aware of the sliding scale for tickets.
Not that long ago people read the paper, watched the news, and listened to the radio.. Lots of interesting things were discussed in the mediums and advertising was done for events on them.. Now so many people dont do any of those things and its much harder to get messages out to people in any consistent way. SU has an oline presence but I wonder how many people in the casual ticket market actually follow them on FaceBook or Twitter.

the State fair is a chance to push some message out..But even then they tend to be in one place on the grounds and people have to stumble across them to even know the message exists. To do it right they would need to be in multiple locations and I dont know as they really have the people to do it right.

Allow me to help you all break this down:

About 2500-3000 season tickets are shown as available online (as we know, there's more than that)
3 game plans and 2 game plans are also still available. Still unknown as how many remain, but I would wager about 500 of those plans are spread out amongst the sections

Call it 3500 open seats thus far

Group tickets will be withheld from any maps (typically higher up in sections) as seen below, I highly doubt these are all sold (section 303-302)
View attachment 219176

I would wager for the Louisville game there are still about 5k group-coded seats still hidden

Up to 8500 seats.

Now looking further at the ticketmaster map (without resell tix) and it's obviously ugly. I am not going to sit and count all those seats, but this number could be anywhere from 9 to 12k.

Let's call it 10,500.

19,000 seats are open in my estimates.

roughly 30,262 seats are "taken" (Game 1 Attendance)

But now you have to hope all those people reselling either sell or come, all the students show up, and the walk up tickets pick up a bit (doubtful there)

All in all - I am going to wager that ACTUAL attendance = 28,500 and the announced attendance is 34,195
sad

As a $99 season ticket holder (and I love my seats in the last row), I sure as heck won't get mad if they let everyone in for free. And $15x7 = $105...so I'm definitely not getting mad at that price point.
additionally ST prices are actually less because some of the cost goes to a different internal bucket than the one off ticket buys do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom