For those of you obsessed with attendance | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

For those of you obsessed with attendance

Would free bus service from Rochester and Buffalo for games get any interest?
Good idea, and don’t forget about the Capital Region to the East. Same distance, and probably same sized population.

One of the coolest things I saw when I went on my cross country road trip this summer was that when we got near a college town they would have usually 7-8 billboards right in a row advertising tickets, season tickets etc for their football team.

No excuse that Syracuse doesn’t do this kinda stuff

If want to be a p5 program we need to act like it.

Spend money to make money baby

If they do the marketing and it creates X new STHs they would probably do it.. How to quantify the X is the hard part. They pretty much know how many people are coming from outside the radius they think our market its.. would spending 5-10K on a billboard in Albany bring in more than 10-20 people? it would require following up on what made people make a decision to buy.

Given the quality of the last few questionaires we can pretty much tell they are going after bigger fish.

If they do the marketing and it creates X new STHs they would probably do it.. How to quantify the X is the hard part. They pretty much know how many people are coming from outside the radius they think our market its.. would spending 5-10K on a billboard in Albany bring in more than 10-20 people? it would require following up on what made people make a decision to buy.

Given the quality of the last few questionaires we can pretty much tell they are going after bigger fish.

A billboard in Albany isn't giogn to move the needle much. At this point its like putting a billboard in Plattsburgh. What SU could do is trying putting a few up around town or at least into the suburbs or major roads ie West Genesee Street, Fayetteville, Camillus etc. The other ting SU could is actually sell season tickets at the Fair or even the 2 or 3 game packages. Why they don't do that is mindboggling.

One of the coolest things I saw when I went on my cross country road trip this summer was that when we got near a college town they would have usually 7-8 billboards right in a row advertising tickets, season tickets etc for their football team.

No excuse that Syracuse doesn’t do this kinda stuff

If want to be a p5 program we need to act like it.

Spend money to make money baby

We're building a 150 million dollar sports complex...we're spending money.

Way to much of a liability beyond the actual cost
If you contract with a bus/limo service to provide however many buses needed based upon reservations, how is that liability to the University?

If you contract with a bus/limo service to provide however many buses needed based upon reservations, how is that liability to the University?

Because in any agreement the bus/limo service is going to demand SU indemnify them in case of accident or any potential litigation. It would only take one accident or some drunk idiot for SU to be stuck in a lawsuit for years. There's a reason no D1 football school does something like this. Secondly even if SU hypothetically wanted to do this it would cost SU way more in chartering any type of bus then they would make for said people attending the game. Its a terrible idea.

Because in any agreement the bus/limo service is going to demand SU indemnify them in case of accident or any potential litigation. It would only take one accident or some drunk idiot for SU to be stuck in a lawsuit for years. There's a reason no D1 football school does something like this. Secondly even if SU hypothetically wanted to do this it would cost SU way more in chartering any type of bus then they would make for said people attending the game. Its a terrible idea.
I haven't run the numbers obviously. A transportation company demanding SU indemnify, is ludicrous. Maybe there isn't the economic infrastructure in CNY/WNY do even do this. But, if SU just breaks even, they at least build fan base, might get some concession sales, and just plain butts in seats. It's a lot to ask for 5-10% of your population to come to a sporting event. SU might want to look further afield, and at least give it a try. Also, stimulate the economy as well. Bus company gets a contract service for certain weekends out of the year, that they normally wouldn't get.

I haven't run the numbers obviously. A transportation company demanding SU indemnify, is ludicrous. Maybe there isn't the economic infrastructure in CNY/WNY do even do this. But, if SU just breaks even, they at least build fan base, might get some concession sales, and just plain butts in seats. It's a lot to ask for 5-10% of your population to come to a sporting event. SU might want to look further afield, and at least give it a try. Also, stimulate the economy as well. Bus company gets a contract service for certain weekends out of the year, that they normally wouldn't get.

You think a bus company is going to sign off on transporting 40-50-60 people to an SU game 7 times a year without some sort of an agreement on accidents and litigation?

No offense but with all that SU is dealing with right now building a miniscule fanbase from the capital region via a chartered bus is so far down the list you'd need an act of congress to find it. Your looking for SU to spend tens of thousands for like 80 people to attend a game from the Albany area if that, it's nonsensical to be honest.

blah, blah, blah, we get it.

last years team was better than the two prior. it was a solid team in a lot of ways with a huge weakness that it couldn’t overcome for a better record.

I know, facts are difficult to face...as they say, the truth hurts.

But go ahead, carry on with your childish utterances along with your ensuing subjective opinions when it comes to what we were last year. Moreover, what we are and have been for some two decades now. Which, is the crux of this thread and, overwhelmingly, the most significant factor in why attendance is what it is.

You think a bus company is going to sign off on transporting 40-50-60 people to an SU game 7 times a year without some sort of an agreement on accidents and litigation?

No offense but with all that SU is dealing with right now building a miniscule fanbase from the capital region via a chartered bus is so far down the list you'd need an act of congress to find it. Your looking for SU to spend tens of thousands for like 80 people to attend a game from the Albany area if that, it's nonsensical to be honest.
So you think a transportation company says to SU -
Yes, we pay thousands of dollars a month in commercial liability insurance; but, we want you to be liable in case someone gets hurts in one of our busses, driven by one of our drivers.

So you think a transportation company says to SU -
Yes, we pay thousands of dollars a month in commercial liability insurance; but, we want you to be liable in case someone gets hurts in one of our busses, driven by one of our drivers.

Absolutely, or SU will be asked to be indemnified as the minute there was an accident SU would be the first institution sued. Again there's a reason why no school does this.

Even if the transportation company didn’t ask SU to indemnify, the lawyers would still go after SU because of their deep pockets. It is after all SU who arranged for the transportation and contracted with the negligent company.

Even if the transportation company didn’t ask SU to indemnify, the lawyers would still go after SU because of their deep pockets. It is after all SU who arranged for the transportation and contracted with the negligent company.
Fine, that's when indemnification actually comes into effect -
SU to transportation Co's commercial insurers.
Why even allow people onto your campus? SU might get sued.

Fine, that's when indemnification actually comes into effect -
SU to transportation Co's commercial insurers.
Why even allow people onto your campus? SU might get sued.
A bus accident is potentially a mass casualty event.

A bus accident is potentially a mass casualty event.
I would pull a Vanessa Bryant, and sue a government entity over SU, in this hypothetical anyway.

I would pull a Vanessa Bryant, and sue a government entity over SU, in this hypothetical anyway.
The bus driver falling asleep and hitting an embankment?

The bus driver falling asleep and hitting an embankment?
If the embankment was placed there by a government entity. Road design is conducive to producing sleep induced auto accidents.

Maybe cuse would charter this if it was PAID

But they are absolutely never going to do something free like that.

It’s absolutely insane to think anyone would do that.

If the embankment was placed there by a government entity. Road design is conducive to producing sleep induced auto accidents.
The state would claim sovereign immunity. The state paid 0$ for the Scoharie limo crash.