For those of you obsessed with attendance | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

For those of you obsessed with attendance

Syracuse football is a bottom 10 program right now. Attendance won't change until we see 3-4 years of sustained consistency. That being 3-4 straight bowl games. Absent that, this is like seeing a bottom dwelling team. You won't get casual fans or people to travel 3 plus hours to see this product.

The empty calorie fixes aren't even available this year. When you switch a coach you get some curious casuals to show up.

The program needs a MASSIVE year to inflate people's interest. The attendance IMO will only rise with a good 8 plus win season coupled with a repeat in 2023/2024 at a minimum.

They did and it was a novelty to see SU w a ranking next to it for football. Prob the first time since 2001.

I’m talking about people taking that interest and going all in for following year.

The program stinks. Didn’t want to say it like that but when you can’t cobble 2 bowl seasons in a row in an era when a pulse gets it done people lose interest and rake leaves, apple pick and antique

This is spot on in my opinion. This has nothing to do with a Saturday night and Labor Day weekend. And, the only reason it doesn't matter who the opponent is, is simply because we have been SO bad (other than that outlier season with Dungy at the helm) for SO long that the general population in the area doesn't give a wink.

Winning (consistently) will bring the folks out as you mentioned, but that is a huge mountain to climb, and most townies, non-diehards, etc. I would bet have certainly given up on Dino being the one that can change that.

I think there's a better shot at convincing the local population that the carried interest loophole benefiting those extremely wealthy money & hedge fund managers, etc. is more justified than trying to convince them of spending/attending SU football games. ;)

Syracuse football is a bottom 10 program right now. Attendance won't change until we see 3-4 years of sustained consistency. That being 3-4 straight bowl games. Absent that, this is like seeing a bottom dwelling team. You won't get casual fans or people to travel 3 plus hours to see this product.

The empty calorie fixes aren't even available this year. When you switch a coach you get some curious casuals to show up.

The program needs a MASSIVE year to inflate people's interest. The attendance IMO will only rise with a good 8 plus win season coupled with a repeat in 2023/2024 at a minimum.
Empty calorie fix is better internet inside the JMA. I think if we beat Louisville and start hot - while Tucker puts a stamp on the Heisman race, the numbers jump *this year*

This is spot on in my opinion. This has nothing to do with a Saturday night and Labor Day weekend. And, the only reason it doesn't matter who the opponent is, is simply because we have been SO bad (other than that outlier season with Dungy at the helm) for SO long that the general population in the area doesn't give a wink.

Winning (consistently) will bring the folks out as you mentioned, but that is a huge mountain to climb, and most townies, non-diehards, etc. I would bet have certainly given up on Dino being the one that can change that.

I think there's a better shot at convincing the local population that the carried interest loophole benefiting those extremely wealthy money & hedge fund managers, etc. is more justified than trying to convince them of spending/attending SU football games. ;)
It wasn’t a bad team last year.

3 of those 5 came against the likes of Ohio U, Albany and Liberty, relatively no name brands. Ohio and Albany were very bad teams, and Liberty isn't going to rev up folks either.

What they do see, is our record against our conference peers, etc. And, that is a putrid 15-35 under Dino.

Last edited:

No it wasn't but It sits between crappy and mediocre. Mediocre is a 6 win team. It's literally a 500 squad.

last year was a 500 squad minus the atrocious coaching decisions. We have to come to grips with what SU football is, how we squandered a golden chance to bowl last year and where it sits now. Losing a bowl season resets casual fans interest in this team.

I think people are optimistic and that's awesome. We should be. We're tied with Clemson and Alabama right now at 0-0. However, the attendance will remain terrible until this thing turns around and remains turned around. Everyone has been hood winkled by this program since Pasqualoni's awful firing. It opeend a worm hole of incompetence/bad luck/bad decision making/bad karma that surrounds this program.

start 2-0 and the Purdue game has a small buzz. That what we have to hope for right now. Start 3-0 and we that Friday Virg game will have a good buzz. But 2-1 would still do that.

If they are 3-2 or better when NC st comes in who might be top 10 there will be energy in the building.

if you switched Wagner/UV 2-2 would create some small energy just with a chance to go over .500. Of course awful showings vs UL/Purdue could wipe out everything as well.

3 of those 5 came against the likes of Ohio U, Albany and Liberty, relatively no name brands. Ohio and Albany were very bad teams, and Liberty isn't going to rev up folks either.

What they do see, is our record against our conference peers, etc. And, that is a putrid 15-35 under Dino.
blah, blah, blah, we get it.

last years team was better than the two prior. it was a solid team in a lot of ways with a huge weakness that it couldn’t overcome for a better record.

Open bar, half price on some monster truck thing, and a drawing for 100 ND tickets.

It's the November injury plagued stumble that people remember the most.
Yeah, that was horrible. No argument, but the first nine games was by far the best stretch since 2018. That’s the starting point.

Almost the whole roster returning, is healthier, a year older through additional strength and conditioning, and with a much better staff on offense and specials.

Barring significant injury, why do people expect this team to be worse instead of making continued improvement? I get the schedule, but that doesn‘t have anything to do with the underlying capability of the roster.

If Shrader performs at a mid tier level and the ol can stay intact, this should be the best team since 2001.

Yeah, that was horrible. No argument, but the first nine games was by far the best stretch since 2018. That’s the starting point.

Almost the whole roster returning, is healthier, a year older through additional strength and conditioning, and with a much better staff on offense and specials.

Barring significant injury, why do people expect this team to be worse instead of making continued improvement? I get the schedule, but that doesn‘t have anything to do with the underlying capability of the roster.

If Shrader performs at a mid tier level and the ol can stay intact, this should be the best team since 2001.

I agree with you, just saying that's the perception we get. From our own fans.

The November games shouldn't be all that tough, but will we be too beat up from that October stretch.

Win the close ones early, and survive the middle with pretty good health. That's the formula.

Bottom line: Louisville, Purdue, and UVa are all very winnable games.

Purdue has a great QB but a bad running game and unproven WRs. Bad defense last season lost Karlaftis.
UVa has a great QB but a brand new coaching staff and breaking in lots of new starters.

Granted Lville will be small crowd but it's a snowball effect. If they can be 2-0 going into Purdue you'll get some buys. 3-0 on a Friday night vs UVA will be more.

Baby steps.

The November games shouldn't be all that tough, but will we be too beat up from that October stretch.

Win the close ones early, and survive the middle with pretty good health. That's the formula.
Yep

And make good decisions on the sidelines. That's my biggest concern outside of DL production.

Perception is hard to shift. It just is.

I think, coming off 2018 - they made a good effort with the la familia stuff and new uniforms and then we belly flopped.

We need to have a good season, and some will come back mid-way. Sustained success. No shortcuts.

(That’s why these threads are like “no one comes because of the perception” and then we talk about how bad we’ve been and we feel worse. That’s why I was down on the thread I was told to not partake in. “Everyone, the perception of the program sucks! Invite your neighbors!”)

We have literally thousands of people on this board who are active on social media. Just imagine if everyone here promoted the upcoming season on their social media platforms every day for the next ten days. That alone would probably be more effective than anything SU could do.

Or we could just stay on this site and bitch about how no one is doing anything to promote the team.

We will spend cumulative hours online filling out votes to raise a recruit to an easy victory in a player of the year contest. We will spend hours debating whether or not we have the right uniforms, or if player X had put on the requisite 10 pounds he needs for success.

Come on SU fans, we’re better than this.
5ACF6EA1-23A8-41E0-947E-274EE036DBB1.jpeg

We have literally thousands of people on this board who are active on social media. Just imagine if everyone here promoted the upcoming season on their social media platforms every day for the next ten days. That alone would probably be more effective than anything SU could do.

Or we could just stay on this site and bitch about how no one is doing anything to promote the team.

We will spend cumulative hours online filling out votes to raise a recruit to an easy victory in a player of the year contest. We will spend hours debating whether or not we have the right uniforms, or if player X had put on the requisite 10 pounds he needs for success.

Come on SU fans, we’re better than this. View attachment 219182

Agreed, but we as fans shouldn’t be spending all our effort doing it if the school isn't also going to put the effort forward

Perception is hard to shift. It just is.

I think, coming off 2018 - they made a good effort with the la familia stuff and new uniforms and then we belly flopped.

We need to have a good season, and some will come back mid-way. Sustained success. No shortcuts.

(That’s why these threads are like “no one comes because of the perception” and then we talk about how bad we’ve been and we feel worse. That’s why I was down on the thread I was told to not partake in. “Everyone, the perception of the program sucks! Invite your neighbors!”)

Because you made a comment that you didn’t want to participate in the thread because it was a downer and instead of just scrolling by you had to comment that you didn’t want to participate

But then you ended up participating anyway

Last edited:
Agreed, but we as fans shouldn’t be spending all our effort doing it if the school isn't also going to put the effort forward
5 minutes.

I was at a get together last Saturday and when I told everyone that we have two season tickets with parking for $350 everyone seemed impressed and kind of interested.. and I’m two hours away. It’s such a bargain I’m kind of surprised there aren’t more STH, even with the last two decades of underperforming.

350 divided by 7, that’s 50. So a three hour game plus a couple hours of tailgating, that’s $50 a games for 5-6 hours of solid fun.
Yup. People are always shocked in NYC area when I say what I spend for fourth row seats...could pay more for a movie. Beautiful college campus on a fall day. Make a day or weekend of it four or five times a year. No brainer for us, drive not withstanding. Syracuse doesn't even try to market to this crowd -- I get it, they focus on people within the two hour range but the value of a college football game at Syracuse is simply amazing.

Would free bus service from Rochester and Buffalo for games get any interest?

I agree that SU could do more to get the word out, put up billboards from Albany to Buffalo. “Season tickets starting at $99. Seven games, great value!”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom