Fran Brown | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree fundamentally. We have had enough talent to compete against peer institutions. People have said this is not a "blow it up" situation. Which means we have players. We should have won 8 games this year.

Do we have all of the players? No. But SU football has NEVER, in my 30 years of watching them, had enough players at all levels. Even during he glory years with McNabb, our OL and DL players weren't all that great. We had many holes.
I don't see how we can say we "have the players" when we played half the season without quarterbacks that could :checks notes: throw the ball.

So what? Babers had a lot of HC exp and was a terrible HC…

And that criteria isn’t what JW said…
So let me ask you in a different way...

Are you taking Fran Brown or Bob Chesney?

That’s the standard for hiring a coach? Usually, the better the player the worse the coach. He has no resume for coaching men’s lacrosse.
Results have been disappointing so far. I still have hope.

So what? Babers had a lot of HC exp and was a terrible HC…

And that criteria isn’t what JW said…
Pretty sure JW said HC experience of some kind and P5 coordinator experience. Could be misremembering.

So, I don’t want to go to bed and find out tomorrow morning that Fran Brown tweeted at 2 minutes to midnight that he isn’t going to be our coach. Maybe I should stay up to find out.
Nah, I better go to bed. If that happens I won’t sleep at all

I don't see how we can say we "have the players" when we played half the season without quarterbacks that could :checks notes: throw the ball.
Precisely my point. We went 6-6 with a chance to win 2 other games without a QB! We had and have talent on the roster.

Unreal. Wildhack totally contradicted himself, never been a head coach or P5 coordinator. I hope I’m wrong but this is not good

He didn’t. All he ever said was that position coach to head coach is a big leap..never ruled it out.

So, I don’t want to go to bed and find out tomorrow morning that Fran Brown tweeted at 2 minutes to midnight that he isn’t going to be our coach. Maybe I should stay up to find out.
Season 6 Episode 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

This move makes a ton of sense.

We need an injection of talent.

One could argue that there isn't a coach in the country better suited to mine the portal the next 3-4 years.
If he has at least on assistant on staff that is a former HC that can help mentor him on the CEO side of the role then that should help a lot. He’s going to have a learning curve but if he’s high aptitude he should be able to learn while he goes.

If he’s capable of that plus adding all the other positives he brings, he could turn out to be very successful for us.

Even him as HC - it’s a partial story. We haven’t seen the staff etc. I don’t see how a FCS or MAC HC is that much better of a candidate than a P5 guy with Brown’s profile coupled with one mentor assistant on staff. I really don’t.

To be one of the nations best recruiters, you have to be one heck of a speaker.
youthful energy and excitement, I suspect he will be an exceptional speech giver and know how to fire up the fan base and the players excited behind the scenes.

it will be nice to pull someone from an elite program that is currently winning and have him walk in the door and say “we are doing it this way, because I’ve watched it win National Championships”

that said he definitely needs to get his coordinators and AHC hires correct. He will need lots of support in those areas. Hopefully all the supposed money in the pot we were getting for Mullen will still be available for Brown’s staff. We need to help him build an elite support network while he learns on the job. Assuming of course he is tabbed to be the guy

Do we really need the next Ed O? He didn't last long at Ole Miss or even LSU because recruiting only takes you so far.

With Mullen I felt totally reinvested into SU FB. Brown is a wait and see type of hire.

Really hope Brown doesn't pull a Schiano and start talking National Championships.

Give me ya numba and I’ll text you

Syracuse is hiring the top recruiter in the nation who has seen a championship team built from the ground up. He has deep roots in the region and high level Power 5 experience.

And he will probably come in closer to 3 mill than 4, allowing us to spend on a top OC and DC

The more I read on this guy the more of a home run this feels like.

Georgia has been to 26 bowls in a row, and has only missed bowls 5 times in the last 50 years.
How old is this guy ???

I disagree fundamentally. We have had enough talent to compete against peer institutions. People have said this is not a "blow it up" situation. Which means we have players. We should have won 8 games this year.

Do we have all of the players? No. But SU football has NEVER, in my 30 years of watching them, had enough players at all levels. Even during he glory years with McNabb, our OL and DL players weren't all that great. We had many holes.

I'm torn. I'd be completely fine with 8-4, but we completely no-showed in three games. FSU is great, but UNC underwhelmed at the end and VT I guess figured it out the night we got there.

We had some big injuries but no real plan B (until the final three games which was sorta fun).

Maybe this is different, maybe it's flop. Its a major play for talent. Frankly I thought we'd end up with White or Golden so what do I know?

I disagree. I think it’s the other way around. What has JW said is the number 1 thing we have to do…? Recruit

I don’t think he mentioned recruiting in his presser, he talked about evaluating and developing.

Syracuse is hiring the top recruiter in the nation who has seen a championship team built from the ground up. He has deep roots in the region and high level Power 5 experience.

And he will probably come in closer to 3 mill than 4, allowing us to spend on a top OC and DC

And we can always get him enrolled in classes for the role he’s being hired for. Coaching.

What's the argument against Sean Lewis? HC experience, turned around maybe the most difficult D-1 program and was 18-10 in the conference there, exciting offense.
I believe I referenced rumored coaches. I do not see Lewis as currently being in the discussion. I have nothing against Lewis.

There sure are a lot of opinions, and you know what they say about opinions. Brown certainly knows winning on a first name basis...

He came after the first (of the recent two) national championship

Yeah, except they are different people? You’re like “position coach / good recruiter = auto failure” and I’m just saying like pump the brakes

No, it's more the "no prior head coaching experience" that concerns me. I don't see how we can take that risk after 6 out of 8 losing seasons under a "charismatic" offensive genius of a coach.

Like it or hate it ... this is the type of hire Syracuse would make. We aren't going to attract a big name so take a chance and save some money I suppose.

Could turn out to be brilliant or terrible. Not sure there's middle ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom