Francis new podcast | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Francis new podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a MacBook Pro Retina and just listened to the whole pod through on Chrome with no problems, so it looks like the re-upload worked. Thanks Francis03

I was finally able to listen Francis. Great stuff. Glad you were able to make it through the hurricane without major issues. I agree with what you are saying regarding BG. He could be the kind of kid that 6 months from now really rises up the charts like MCW did. It's funny that is the first thing I thought of when I was looking into him. I knew his name but not much else when he committed. I thought it was interesting your take on Moyer playing some 5. I hadn't really thought about that but it makes sense if a team is small against us. Moyer is a good rebounder and really tenacious. He also has 1 year in our system already. I like your take on Tyus, Thorpe, Moyer and OB needing to bring their A game for us. I would add Sidibe to that though. We really need his defense and rebounding in the middle and for him not to have foul issues. I think that is just as important. I would also say if we had Tyus and Thorpe play well with Sidibe doing his thing that we could handle an off day from Moyer as long as we get production from OB for example. Kind of splitting hairs here. I'm really excited about Sidibe this year and loved hearing all the stuff he is doing. Thanks for all the info it's much appreciated for someone on the west coast with no internal ties to the program.

I'm in!!!

th.jpe

I was finally able to listen Francis. Great stuff. Glad you were able to make it through the hurricane without major issues. I agree with what you are saying regarding BG. He could be the kind of kid that 6 months from now really rises up the charts like MCW did. It's funny that is the first thing I thought of when I was looking into him. I knew his name but not much else when he committed. I thought it was interesting your take on Moyer playing some 5. I hadn't really thought about that but it makes sense if a team is small against us. Moyer is a good rebounder and really tenacious. He also has 1 year in our system already. I like your take on Tyus, Thorpe, Moyer and OB needing to bring their A game for us. I would add Sidibe to that though. We really need his defense and rebounding in the middle and for him not to have foul issues. I think that is just as important. I would also say if we had Tyus and Thorpe play well with Sidibe doing his thing that we could handle an off day from Moyer as long as we get production from OB for example. Kind of splitting hairs here. I'm really excited about Sidibe this year and loved hearing all the stuff he is doing. Thanks for all the info it's much appreciated for someone on the west coast with no internal ties to the program.

Just my opinion but I try not to repeat specifics things Francis says in the pods. Want to keep it pay side.

I think you should go watch Hughes play at Melo, your analysis based on watching tape , tape that's from him playing with Moyer in High School and a few games last season? Have you seen him play in person?

When I was at SU I spent a lot of time watching not only team practices and but also watching players on the team play in pickup games in Arhibald and Flanagan. One thing I can say with 100% certainty is that it is really, really hard to draw correlations between pickup ball and structured team play (and furthermore REAL game play).

If I made my judgments based on pickup ball, Ryan Blackwell would have been one of the top 5 SU players of all time. That kid was absolutely dominant in unstructured pickup games. Likewise, James Thues was an absolute terror in pickup games. Other guys, like Shumpert and Jason Hart looked mediocre at best in unstructured play.

There is also a difference between practice players and game players. Again, Blackwell routinely looked like a dominant player in practice but was never able to turn it up to a higher gear in games (god that must have been frustrating to JB). Ethan Cole looked fluid and athletic in practice but looked like he was playing in quicksand when he got into games. Kueth Duany was a much better practice player than game player. Other guys were able to rise to the occasion and improve their level of play in games relative to practice (Allen Griffin comes to mind here. Josh Pace/Hakim Warrick also).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I'm encouraged by the reports on Hughes, there is tangible data out there that shows he was a mediocre player in his previous college life at ECU. Just because he is playing great in pickup ball doesn't mean it will translate to games. I certainly hope it does, but I'll reserve judgment on him until I see him playing well against ACC level competition.

When I was at SU I spent a lot of time watching not only team practices and but also watching players on the team play in pickup games in Arhibald and Flanagan. One thing I can say with 100% certainty is that it is really, really hard to draw correlations between pickup ball and structured team play (and furthermore REAL game play).

If I made my judgments based on pickup ball, Ryan Blackwell would have been one of the top 5 SU players of all time. That kid was absolutely dominant in unstructured pickup games. Likewise, James Thues was an absolute terror in pickup games. Other guys, like Shumpert and Jason Hart looked mediocre at best in unstructured play.

There is also a difference between practice players and game players. Again, Blackwell routinely looked like a dominant player in practice but was never able to turn it up to a higher gear in games (god that must have been frustrating to JB). Ethan Cole looked fluid and athletic in practice but looked like he was playing in quicksand when he got into games. Kueth Duany was a much better practice player than game player. Other guys were able to rise to the occasion and improve their level of play in games relative to practice (Allen Griffin comes to mind here. Josh Pace/Hakim Warrick also).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I'm encouraged by the reports on Hughes, there is tangible data out there that shows he was a mediocre player in his previous college life at ECU. Just because he is playing great in pickup ball doesn't mean it will translate to games. I certainly hope it does, but I'll reserve judgment on him until I see him playing well against ACC level competition.
I agree with all of that. the thing about Hughes is that I got reports praising him before he arrived at Syracuse. The high school coaches that played against him thought he was special. He did play head to head against Diallo and outscored him 24 -4. He was a year older but still. I don't know but I really like what I am hearing.

Agree 100% about drawing conclusions from pick up games, or unstructured / non-organized games that aren't being officiated. That's where some of the misinformation about Howard proliferated last year -- somebody watched him play in an unstructured game, and reported that he was "killing" Gillon, without accounting for it being a pick up game where fouls weren't called, where FH was free to bull the much smaller player physically. In a real game, playing that way would lead to him fouling out in a timeframe that even Etan would shake his head about. The board took that pickup game report and accepted the information literally.

I know you pretty much got run out of town after some similar 'look-at-me' shenanigans during the Quade dumpster fire. Maybe don't make the same mistake twice?

Not the same person.

Thanks again to Francis for providing info that is straightforward, never vague. Always reliable. Always reputable. And thanks to everyone else who provides value too, regardless of post count.

Francis - I signed up for your podcasts, listen to them, but i think you should do a little more research on Brycen, as you said you were focused on Swider, while we were watching BG for over 18 months.

I think you should go watch Hughes play at Melo, your analysis based on watching tape , tape that's from him playing with Moyer in High School and a few games last season? Have you seen him play in person?

Double check your source about Tucker, that's not what we saw and you are 100% incorrect about what you said about Ayala.
The mods sure can't get enough of this 013 character here I see smh. So I'll lower my standard for a bit and give this fool some knowledge in response.

On Brycen, like I said on the same pod that you claimed to listen that I'll go back and watch more film to study him some more. You say we recruiting him for over 18 months, but he was only offered by staff just a few weeks ago and wasn't on anybody's radar as an SU target until recently. Plus he was quoted in an article saying that he didn't even know that SU was checking for him until this past July. I guess you knew they were on him forever though while telling everybody that Quade was picking out classes and tutors at SU last year before your disappearance right?

Elijah Hughes was NEPSAC honorable mention. Only had offers from Rider and ECU. Averaged 7 PPG, shooting 34% FG and 27% from 3 in the AAC and for a crappy team. Excuse me if I'm taking a wait and see approach with him and not setting my expectations too high just because he's apparently practicing well against a bunch of guys who have little to no experience in D1 ball. I didn't know hoping that he could become a productive role player like James Southerland and Josh Pace would be such a sin. If he exceeds that then great, but to expect him to suddenly become a go to guy and future 1st round pick when his history suggest the opposite is quite unrealistic imo.

The Tucker situation is hardly a secret for those that knew what was up and the reasoning behind why the staff had backed off originally before getting desperate and recruiting him again in the spring.

You talk about me charging a fee, like $1 at a minimum is robbing people when other team sites charge $10 or more a month. Plus if you have all the answers, then why the are you listening to my pods. You can unsubscribe and carry on doing whatever you please.✌
C1G8F7lXAAUZEOy.gif

The mods sure can't get enough of this 013 character here I see smh. So I'll lower my standard for a bit and give this fool some knowledge in response.

On Brycen, like I said on the same pod that you claimed to listen that I'll go back and watch more film to study him some more. You say we recruiting him for over 18 months, but he was only offered by staff just a few weeks ago and wasn't on anybody's radar as an SU target until recently. Plus he was quoted in an article saying that he didn't even know that SU was checking for him until this past July. I guess you knew they were on him forever though while telling everybody that Quade was picking out classes and tutors at SU last year before your disappearance right?

Elijah Hughes was NEPSAC honorable mention. Only had offers from Rider and ECU. Averaged 7 PPG, shooting 34% FG and 27% from 3 in the AAC and for a crappy team. Excuse me if I'm taking a wait and see approach with him and not setting my expectations too high just because he's apparently practicing well against a bunch of guys who have little to no experience in D1 ball. I didn't know hoping that he could become a productive role player like James Southerland and Josh Pace would be such a sin. If he exceeds that then great, but to expect him to suddenly become a go to guy and future 1st round pick when his history suggest the opposite is quite unrealistic imo.

The Tucker situation is hardly a secret for those that knew what was up and the reasoning behind why the staff had backed off originally before getting desperate and recruiting him again in the spring.

You talk about me charging a fee, like $1 at a minimum is robbing people when other team sites charge $10 or more a month. Plus if you have all the answers, then why the are you listening to my pods. You can unsubscribe and carry on doing whatever you please.✌
View attachment 110474

Just to clarify, SU Dreaming is not O13. I won't delete this post Francis because you have some info in it, but it quotes a post that was deleted. Must be the timing of that deletion while you were already responding.

I remember Devo constantly glowing about how good Ron Patterson was in pickup ball and such a few years ago. The positive Ethan Cole practice stories still feel like it was yesterday when I first started posting here. On one hand it's good to hear that the players are playing well, but on the other hand you have to take it with a grain of salt until the actual games go down.

OTOH, he does use this site to garner some business. And that's fine. But a nugget now and then is fine, too. ;)

To be fair, this site uses Francis to drum up pageviews and hits as well though. I know when I first started visiting the board it was specifically to get Francis's posts and updates on recruiting. The basketball recruiting board feels it quite a bit when he takes some time away.

Brycen Goodine told me this:

"During Peach Jam this summer, I noticed Syracuse at my game and I was kind of hyped. I just played without thinking about it because I didn't think they were there for me. I was playing against Darius Bazley, so I figured there were there for him but after Peach Jam we had another tournament down in Florida and Coach G-Mac was in the stands. So I was like, 'Oh, wow, that's weird.' I still didn't think he was there for me but he ended up texting me after one of the games. I was like, 'No way.' After that, for the next few weeks, he was there for every one of my games."

So we're recruiting him for 18 months but the recruit didn't know it? I could be wrong, but that doesn't add up.

"During Peach Jam this summer, I noticed Syracuse at my game and I was kind of hyped. I just played without thinking about it because I didn't think they were there for me. I was playing against Darius Bazley, so I figured there were there for him but after Peach Jam we had another tournament down in Florida and Coach G-Mac was in the stands. So I was like, 'Oh, wow, that's weird.' I still didn't think he was there for me but he ended up texting me after one of the games. I was like, 'No way.' After that, for the next few weeks, he was there for every one of my games."

So we're recruiting him for 18 months but the recruit didn't know it? I could be wrong, but that doesn't add up.
You sure your information is right ;)

DHKUf49U0AAsddD.gif

He's doing it to himself.

I have mentioned this before and this is a repeat.

Dean Francis provides a mechanism for his subscribers to reply to/ask questions/offer comments to his patrons regarding his information.

I agree with iommi above. There is no reason to discuss the information he provides in that domain in this forum.

Seems like those (no offense to cuseattle because I enjoy his posts) who do want to share their new found information with people on this board.

Dean Francis' information is so inexpensive and yet so valuable. Why would one share it with others?

The only thing I would share is the information is good and how to subscribe.

I have mentioned this before and this is a repeat.

Dean Francis provides a mechanism for his subscribers to reply to/ask questions/offer comments to his patrons regarding his information.

I agree with iommi above. There is no reason to discuss the information he provides in that domain in this forum.

Seems like those (no offense to cuseinseattle because I enjoy his posts) who do want to share their new found information with people on this board.

Dean Francis' information is so inexpensive and yet so valuable. Why would one share it with others?

The only thing I would share is the information is good and how to subscribe.

I was not calling out cuseinseattle AT ALL. It was just a very friendly reminder. It is tricky because this is a Syracuse hoops forum and his info would make for great discussion fodder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.