Frank Anselem portal to Louisville | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Anselem portal to Louisville

Your assumption is that G, R, B and N would have put up those same numbers if they had stayed at SU. That’s a pretty poor data comparison.

They were on four different teams. What prevented them from being more productive? Or are you saying they would have bene more productive under JB than their new coaches?

They were on four different teams. What prevented them from being more productive? Or are you saying they would have bene more productive under JB than their new coaches?
It’s not an apples to apples comparison.

Eh, that's maybe a perfect world for fans, not him.

Frankie's gotta look out for himself.

Being an important piece of a good team gets you drafted.

Being a good player on a crap team gets you nowhere, other than giving you stories to tell your kids when you're old.

Developing a guy like this for another program sucks.

JB should have given him some minutes at the 4 this year before Jesse went down. Could have been the difference in him staying or leaving.

Being a good player on a crap team gets you nowhere, other than giving you stories to tell your kids when you're old.
It's not clear how good we're going to be.

But I doubt we're going to be "put your backup center" in the draft good.

But he’d get it as a senior.

I guess, all things being equal, two years of it is better than one….but, we’ll see where he lands. Seems like he was on a nice path here.

I hear you but putting my orange tinted glasses aside, he should go get time now.

Frank’s not getting drafted playing 8-10 min per game here next year.

He’s got the Chet holgren frame. But not the same game.
Holmgren is a catastrophic injury waiting to happen. When I watched him play this season, I was half-looking away to avoid seeing a collision under the basket, him land awkwardly, and end up with a gruesome compound fracture.

Developing a guy like this for another program sucks.

JB should have given him some minutes at the 4 this year before Jesse went down. Could have been the difference in him staying or leaving.

This is what concerns me about next year. We'll have 11 or 12 scholarship players and will probably only play 7 or 8 of them again, even though few of them are ready for such a big role, alienating guys who could be developing who are left to rot on the bench.

I hear you but putting my orange tinted glasses aside, he should go get time now.

No but he might the year afterwards, is the whole point. And Jesse is not going to last more than 30 minutes a game on the whole season with the way he gets whistled for a couple phantom fouls each game. I would guess more like 25/15, the team does very well, and then Frank would be the starter the next year.

No but he might the year afterwards, is the whole point. And Jesse is not going to last more than 30 minutes a game on the whole season with the way he gets whistled for a couple phantom fouls each game. I would guess more like 25/15, the team does very well, and then Frank would be the starter the next year.

Frank got about 14 mins / game avg this season, and that was ONLY due to Jesse getting injured.

Clearly he’s looking for more than that, or he wouldn’t have entered the portal.

I’m pretty sure “give us another season as a backup, and then you’ll finally get to start next year” is NOT a very compelling sales pitch to Frank.

Because, again - he’s in the portal.

Frank got about 14 mins / game avg this season, and that was ONLY due to Jesse getting injured.

Clearly he’s looking for more than that, or he wouldn’t have entered the portal.

I’m pretty sure “give us another season as a backup, and then you’ll finally get to start next year” is NOT a very compelling sales pitch to Frank.

Because, again - he’s in the portal.
He wasn't going to start next year if he stayed, there will be high class centers available in the portal. That is why he left.

Guerrier and Frank leaving in consecutive years hurts big time.

Im not going to participate in the mental gymnastic to justify how Frank leaving isn’t on the HC. I mean come on. Had he stayed another year maybe we’d start ridiculously accusing him of mental weakness like Roberson. Sometimes JB can be just wrong.

I wish Frank the absolute best.

He’s not getting drafted without an offensive game that includes more than dunks and putbacks.

He’s not getting drafted without an offensive game that includes more than dunks and putbacks.
And his offensive game won't develop fast enough, if it ever does, for him to be the starting center for SU or any other major program next year.

Guerrier and Frank leaving in consecutive years hurts big time.

Im not going to participate in the mental gymnastic to justify how Frank leaving isn’t on the HC. I mean come on. Had he stayed another year maybe we’d start ridiculously accusing him of mental weakness like Roberson. Sometimes JB can be just wrong.

I wish Frank the absolute best.
The only way Frank was staying is if he got 25 minutes a game. And no intelligent HC is playing him over Edwards. It’s as simple as that. Frankly, this season we have less transfers than most schools.

Guys are going to transfer more often with the ability to play right away. I’d rather keep Frank, but we are going to likely lose guys every year. It’s hard to keep 10-12 scholarship players happy. They will agree to sit one year, not two.

No. He loves Syracuse. It's about minutes
My prediction, of which I have no evidence to support it (LOL), is that Frank spends some time talking to other coaches and schools and assessing his options and potential for playing time at other P6 programs, does a real analysis of the minutes available at these places, and ends up deciding to return to Syracuse. I think he’ll realize that backing up Jesse for one more year isn’t so bad, and he’d likely be the starter as a Junior and senior. At a new program, there will be a big learning curve, he’ll have to get comfortable with new coaches and a new system. There are downsides to transferring. The grass isn’t always greener. And as others have said, I think Frank likes it at Syracuse and likes our coaches and his teammates.

This is what concerns me about next year. We'll have 11 or 12 scholarship players and will probably only play 7 or 8 of them again, even though few of them are ready for such a big role, alienating guys who could be developing who are left to rot on the bench.

I don't think JB will do that. I also don't think we'll have a set in stone top 5.

Benny Williams was so bad that on any other team he would have been DNP'd every night but he managed 15 mins per game. There is no way hes playing 40 mins per night and burying the freshmen. Cole is also ridiculously streaky. The guys behind them will get minutes. That said I don't think we'll be good next year if we don't add a proven wing Swider and Williams don't give me much confidence. Guard and Center we look to be set.

I think Edwards is good enough that this isn't that big of a loss and Anselem isn't a fit at the 4. But it would still be nice to have given him some minutes there and kept him in the program.

Peter Carey is a better backup anyway
I don't agree with that.

It seems the only upside to this situation is that Carey is going to get some playing time a year earlier.
Presumably, that means he'll boost his game a year earlier.
And then perhaps leave a year earlier.

In my opinion, Frank leaving has as much to do about wanting more PT as it does with JB/his ways/system, etc. We all know, if Jesse wasn't a foul machine, and could keep his arse in the game, JB would play Jesse 35 minutes plus per game. JB has pretty much always played his starters excessive/heavy minutes, and there's no way JB is making an adjustment to his MO, certainly not at his ripe age of 78. Unless, he's absolutely forced to due to extenuating circumstances beyond his control, i.e., foul trouble, injury, etc.

Frank is well aware of this. Therefore, Frank in all likelihood, came to the realistic conclusion that if for some reason Jesse figures out a way to stay out of foul trouble, his minutes could very well go down from this season's. So, with players having far more flexibility nowadays in leaving/transferring, etc. without penalty, he's betting on himself for greener pastures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom