Frank Anselem portal to Louisville | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Anselem portal to Louisville

In my opinion, Frank leaving has as much to do about wanting more PT as it does with JB/his ways/system, etc. We all know, if Jesse wasn't a foul machine, and could keep his arse in the game, JB would play Jesse 35 minutes plus per game. JB has pretty much always played his starters excessive/heavy minutes, and there's no way JB is making an adjustment to his MO, certainly not at his ripe age of 78. Unless, he's absolutely forced to due to extenuating circumstances beyond his control, i.e., foul trouble, injury, etc.

Frank is well aware of this. Therefore, Frank in all likelihood, came to the realistic conclusion that if for some reason Jesse figures out a way to stay out of foul trouble, his minutes could very well go down from this season's. So, with players having far more flexibility nowadays in leaving/transferring, etc. without penalty, he's betting on himself for greener pastures.
I don't think he's going to be happy playing behind a starter who is significantly better than he is, wherever he goes. He may get a few more minutes, playing for a coach that substitutes more but probably not enough for it to be that much more fun or better for his future.

I don't agree with that.

It seems the only upside to this situation is that Carey is going to get some playing time a year earlier.
Presumably, that means he'll boost his game a year earlier.
And then perhaps leave a year earlier.

I think Carey can do well in the 5-10 mins per night role behind Jesse next year.

Like Frank I doubt JB plays him on the wing. He’ll be OK.

Center position will be good don’t sleep on Jesse. Last year was his first year as a major part of the team he was buried the year before until the tournament JB only played him when he had no other choice and he flourished.

I think Carey can do well in the 5-10 mins per night role behind Jesse next year.

Center position will be good don’t sleep on Jesse. Last year was his first year as a major part of the team he was buried the year before until the tournament JB only played him when he had no other choice and he flourished.
Derp.

Nobody's sleeping on Jesse. They are aware that he can get injured and that his career average in fouls per 40 minutes is 5.8, meaning that he can't be expected to play 40 minutes, so is back-up is vitally important. It could be Carey but it could also be Brown and, although he's shorter, he might be the better option right now.

Based on what? He hasn’t played and is almost as thin as Marek. I don’t see how he is remotely ready. The stuff we see in his highlight videos he won’t be able to do with his current strength and ability. I can’t imagine us not bringing a backup center in.

Based on what? He hasn’t played and is almost as thin as Marek. I don’t see how he is remotely ready. The stuff we see in his highlight videos he won’t be able to do with his current strength and ability. I can’t imagine us not bringing a backup center in.
Yeah, he has a lot of potential and could end up a steal, but between coming off an injury and being physically not ready, it would be a shock if he was even playing against ACC teams.

Based on him getting a scholarship to Syracuse?

I trust the staff that he can fill the backup roll. If he can’t why recruit him?

Based on him getting a scholarship to Syracuse?

I trust the staff that he can fill the backup roll. If he can’t why recruit him?
Who was the last freshman center came in ready? Let alone one who is ranked where Carey is, add in his not playing last season.

Same reason we recruited other centers, so they’re ready down the road.

Yeah, he has a lot of potential and could end up a steal, but between coming off an injury and being physically not ready, it would be a shock if he was even playing against ACC teams.
Based on the video I've seen, Carey has a lot of skills and could develop into a very good, mobile center.

In the meantime the Orange do need a reliable back-up for foul prone Jesse.
And that's a tough sell.
Portal players generally are looking to play more...not to sit again.
The pitch a guy you want as a backup hears is, "Hey, kid, you wanna come to Syracuse and sit 30 minutes a game?"

"kid you are looking at an incredible opportunity here! Frank is gone, Jesse is going to foul out every game especially if we play some M2M, and given the history of Syracuse's potato knee syndrome you might just find yourself one injury away from starting!!! It's a no brainer!!! Now, I just need you to jump from under the hoop here to this corner, then reverse bounce to that opposite corner, let's see it!!!"

Last edited:
would not be surprised if goes to ru but will play behind their current center.

Last edited:
The concern w carey is interesting seeing how hes our best recruit, agree though could take some weight

Taking the long term view, you could argue that he's right.

Maybe. We lack a lot of evidence to make that call. A lot of things we could apply that logic to.

Maybe. We lack a lot of evidence to make that call. A lot of things we could apply that logic to.

Not many 7 footers can dribble like that, or run that fluidly, or make cuts like that. He can make a shot in the low block, he can make a shot in the mid-range. And we certainly know he likes to dunk.

He could use 20 more pounds, but his ranking is much more a product of his lack of exposure, as opposed to a lack of talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom