Frank Anselem: Remember him? | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Anselem: Remember him?

Our small ball only goes back to Lydon, correct? Others with a better memory can confirm. I don't think it's what Boeheim prefers and there was clearly a good reason to have used Marek in the way that he did (although that should have been much less as Jesse could have been utilized more, in my opinion). I'm really tired with playing guys out of rotation and with Frank coming back (hopefully) should nix some of that.
Warrick played center a few times in emergency situations, but it was pretty rare.

Warrick played center a few times in emergency situations, but it was pretty rare.
Yep. I was going to add him along with Alexis, Damone Brown, JB Reafsnyder, Sean Kerins, DC, Otis, Blackwell, The Hawk, Trob, Rick Jackson...I could go on but more often than not it seems SU's #2 and even #3 center has been a player that plays mostly forward. DC was the best PF in college basketball and played a lot at the 5 even when he started at the 4.

Yep. I was going to add him along with Alexis, Damone Brown, JB Reafsnyder, Sean Kerins, DC, Otis, Blackwell, The Hawk, Trob, Rick Jackson...I could go on but more often than not it seems SU's #2 and even #3 center has been a player that plays mostly forward. DC was the best PF in college basketball and played a lot at the 5 even when he started at the 4.
Weren't Reafsnyder and Otis Hill always centers? I know Hill was a little short for the position but I think that's the only place he ever played.

Weren't Reafsnyder and Otis Hill always centers? I know Hill was a little short for the position but I think that's the only place he ever played.
Hill played foward when Ovcina played center in 96-97

Lydon at center was extremely productive. Could be why JB has added it to his arsenal since.

Next year the lineup of JG3, Buddy, Benny, Cole, and JimJr seems like a potential offensive juggernaut. Seemed to me JimJr could play center, said wanted to help out in a Marek type role. And General's writeup of covid watching Cole, said he played center for Villanova 50% of the time. Both Cole and JimJr seem like better center options than Marek.

So yes, Frank may be waiting on the QG decision.
extremely??? nah.

He was thrown around like a ragdoll defensively...inadequate down there..often overmatched. wasn't good.

He was a good player...and a really good 3 point shooter though...deserved 1st round pick.

The narrative that these string bean forwards should player center needs to be squashed asap.

extremely??? nah.

He was thrown around like a ragdoll defensively...inadequate down there..often overmatched. wasn't good.

He was a good player...and a really good 3 point shooter though...deserved 1st round pick.

The narrative that these string bean forwards should player center needs to be squashed asap.
This, mixed in with a bunch of blocks.

I'm sorry to say, and I really am, that in 7-8 years, I'll forget largely who Marek was as a player. As I'm getting older in my days, players come and go. I appreciate them all, at least all who stay. However, years go by and I don't remember them all that well anymore. Hell, the question was asked the other day about best 3 pt shooting in cuse history and for me, Moten came to mind. I know, kick some dirt on me.

At any rate, Marek is a player that if in his normal position, maybe, could have been a player I (and others) remembered for years. For that skinny dude to be able to play center was crazy. He was a special player for cuse to play out of position all these years and to do it really well. Hopefully, that didn't hurt his pro prospects because it's not like he was really set up for success. I really love me some Marek. Good dude.
I don't think anyone will forget Marek taking charges, especially against Zion.

Hill played foward when Ovcina played center in 96-97
But Ovcina came off the bench most of the time and played 16 min per game. Hill was a three year starter at center.

But Ovcina came off the bench most of the time and played 16 min per game. Hill was a three year starter at center.
Right, you stated it was the only place he played. He started games at forward.

Right, you stated it was the only place he played. He started games at forward.
Ok. Seems like nitpicking to me. I guess I would list him as a center who sometimes shifted to forward, since the majority of his starts and playing time were spent at center.

6 OT game Karis Joseph, Center.

Kharis Joseph?

1619801338483.png

Kharis - Wikipedia

Hill and Reafsnyder still shouldn’t have been listed with that group of forwards who sometimes played center. They were centers who sometimes played forward...as we might see with FA next season.

Centers who played forward are not forwards playing center.

Our small ball only goes back to Lydon, correct? Others with a better memory can confirm. I don't think it's what Boeheim prefers and there was clearly a good reason to have used Marek in the way that he did (although that should have been much less as Jesse could have been utilized more, in my opinion). I'm really tired with playing guys out of rotation and with Frank coming back (hopefully) should nix some of that.
Chris McCullough played some center during his brief tenure here. But he wasn't exactly small.

I think we need Frank on next years team to provide an athletic jumbo power forward. Our other forwards Swider and Jimmy Jr are excellent shooters but not very athletic. We could have an athletic frontcourt of Williams, Anselem and Edwards. Could be a dynamic wing/post zone defense if Edwards can add some muscle during the offseason

Ok. Seems like nitpicking to me. I guess I would list him as a center who sometimes shifted to forward, since the majority of his starts and playing time were spent at center.
Nah, i just missed the context of the first post and was directly responding to your post that he “only” played center. I get what you were saying now

I think we need Frank on next years team to provide an athletic jumbo power forward. Our other forwards Swider and Jimmy Jr are excellent shooters but not very athletic. We could have an athletic frontcourt of Williams, Anselem and Edwards. Could be a dynamic wing/post zone defense if Edwards can add some muscle during the offseason

You’re stereotyping Jimmy a lot. He’s not a great shooter and he is a better athlete than people give him credit for.

That’s a long athletic frontline, and both JB2 and Swider are not exactly stiffs out there. We’re gonna be a lot more athletic than people think.

Absolutely, if we are getting crushed on the boards, I want to see Anselem alongside Edwards to improve the situation. We can't rely on out scoring a team we just can't stop on the boards.

Absolutely, if we are getting crushed on the boards, I want to see Anselem alongside Edwards to improve the situation. We can't rely on out scoring a team we just can't stop on the boards.
Prediction: Frank plays zero minutes at either forward positions. (Unless injury or the two other guys foul out.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom