Franklin / PSU | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Franklin / PSU

It’s amazing you can get 38m for being terrible at your job and getting fired (if it came to that)

Yup. I'm always surprised these contracts dont contain mitigation clauses (some actually may have them, which is how i assume guys like Butch Jones end up at Alabama as an analyst). They must also have clauses that prevent universities from "rubber-rooming" them. It's amazing how much leverage glorified PE teachers have. Like a half-dozen of them are actual difference makers.

Yup. I'm always surprised these contracts dont contain mitigation clauses (some actually may have them, which is how i assume guys like Butch Jones end up at Alabama as an analyst). They must also have clauses that prevent universities from "rubber-rooming" them. It's amazing how much leverage glorified PE teachers have. Like a half-dozen of them are actual difference makers.
It's the result of something (certain college athletics) being prioritized much more than they should be.

It's the result of something (certain college athletics) being prioritized much more than they should be.

It's *this*

While I get frustrated and PO'd like everyone else about the state of the program and sometimes get jealous of Clemson and Alabama - I'm mostly proud that we try to achieve balance. The truth is that the NFL should run it's own academy system - leaving college to educate. But the schools are high on their TV money and won't be able to break free.

It's *this*

While I get frustrated and PO'd like everyone else about the state of the program and sometimes get jealous of Clemson and Alabama - I'm mostly proud that we try to achieve balance. The truth is that the NFL should run it's own academy system - leaving college to educate. But the schools are high on their TV money and won't be able to break free.
If that's the case, why doesn't Syracuse go to the FCS. It's all about the money. Syracuse should get out of this level of sports if they don't like the business model involved in running a team. Win or go home is what all sports are about.

Well, they paid more than that for keeping the pedophiles around.
Actually they didn't, many of the sanctions and fines were repealed after the governor and attorneys got involved. They were supposed to pay 60 mil or something and paid only the victims families that came forward, which they would have had to pay anways if they got sued.

If that's the case, why doesn't Syracuse go to the FCS. It's all about the money. Syracuse should get out of this level of sports if they don't like the business model involved in running a team. Win or go home is what all sports are about.

Well, for one I'm not on the Board of Trustees. I don't want to give you too much credit, but one of the things the University cares about in addition to winning at the sports is to educate and equip students. It's a balance and it's probably right, fair, and important to question how it's going from time to time.

I do appreciate the classic hot take at the end. Oh, it's about winnnnning!?

Well, for one I'm not on the Board of Trustees. I don't want to give you too much credit, but one of the things the University cares about in addition to winning at the sports is to educate and equip students. It's a balance and it's probably right, fair, and important to question how it's going from time to time.

I do appreciate the classic hot take at the end. Oh, it's about winnnnning!?
That is a fine model and one that is the mission at the FCS level. This is the big leagues, that is not the focus at this level. Soon, there will be a new level formed and Syracuse either won't be invited or should turn down the invitation.

Who says they don't like the business model? They're middle of the pack with spending and always will be due to a number of factors. A couple of fans expressing that we don't like the spending in college sports doesn't mean the school is in line with us.

That is a fine model and one that is the mission at the FCS level. This is the big leagues, that is not the focus at this level. Soon, there will be a new level formed and Syracuse either won't be invited or should turn down the invitation.

You keep confusing me, an alum with the BoT.

1. A new level (whatever this means) will not be formed soon (like next month or in the next 10 years).
2. The University just spent a crapton of money on a new roof, so yeah, they seem to be focused on making sports a focus.
3. I'm good with this. I am glad we're not building slides and whiffle ball fields.

Don't they go home anyway? If you win, you don't just stay there. It doesn't make any sense.

I wouldn’t mind the Alabama’s and the Clemson’s and the OSU’s of the world going their own way and leave the mid level P5 and G5 to form a division similar to the FCS where parity is likely and college can go back to a more amatuer like state

Don't they go home anyway? If you win, you don't just stay there. It doesn't make any sense.
I believe you know what I'm asserting and want to play a word game. In the past Syracuse only cared about playing and winning at the highest level against the top competition. Now it seems people, here on this board, are saying just as long as the Orange compete's at this level, it's OK to be middle of the pack, just fine. Syracuse would not be in the echelon they are in now if the people in the past had that philosophy. You aim high and end up where you end up or aim at middling and end up worse most of the time.

I wouldn’t mind the Alabama’s and the Clemson’s and the OSU’s of the world going their own way and leave the mid level P5 and G5 to form a division similar to the FCS where parity is likely and college can go back to a more amatuer like state
Syracuse could just go in the AAC or the MAC now. Significantly reduced revenue at that level.

I believe you know what I'm asserting and want to play a word game. In the past Syracuse only cared about playing and winning at the highest level against the top competition. Now it seems people, here on this board, are saying just as long as the Orange compete's at this level, it's OK to be middle of the pack, just fine. Syracuse would not be in the echelon they are in now if the people in the past had that philosophy. You aim high and end up where you end up or aim at middling and end up worse most of the time.
I was just joking. I don't typically partake in fruitless conversations. So, next time bring fruit.

I was just joking. I don't typically partake in fruitless conversations. So, next time bring fruit.
This is the most important converthere is: What do the fans and supports of Syracuse football expect of the program.

Lol. No, that’s you putting words in people’s mouths.

Once again, just so you can hear me: I think what some schools do to compete at the very top in insane and counterproductive to the health of the universities. I’m for competing and for spending money on sports that bring in revenue and spending on some that don’t. It’s a fine line, but it’s good to see our BoT, Chancellor, and AD trying to. I am not any of those things, I’m just an alum of who values education and winning.

None of this is controversial.

It's *this*

I wonder if we won like those other programs if SU would be so concerned about the balance. Think that road may be due to necessity more so than University vision.

You'll just LOVE those basketball rivalry games against Tulsa and ECU on FS2 at 11 AM on Sunday.
Join the Big East in all sports and have a regional college football league. Back to the future OX.

I wonder if we won like those other programs if SU would be so concerned about the balance. Think that road may be due to necessity more so than University vision.

I think that’s true to an extent. But I’d rather have balance and try to figure out how to grow and compete than have an out of control boulder rolling down a hill.

And it’s not like we haven’t been successful in a top sport at the top level. Are we UNC? No - but we’re not fabricating classes either.

It’s a line worth walking, IMO.

Join the Big East in all sports and have a regional college football league. Back to the future OX.

In a whacked out worldview that includes UMASS as a competing power, your push for us to move backwards makes a twisted kind of logic lol

In a whacked out worldview that includes UMASS as a competing power, your push for us to move backwards makes a twisted kind of logic lol
If a supra P5 is created, they are going to take most of the TV revenue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom