Free pass? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Free pass?

It's fun being able to weed out the Shafer loyalist's. There are only a handful or 2, but it's pretty obvious. I just don't get what everyone is all upset about? Because he didn't get year 4 in what was becoming a complete disaster? There was nothing that we saw in years 1-3 that would give any glimmer of hope that the man could handle being an ACC HC, let alone a HC at any level. All year 4 would have done was extend the inevitable.

Just because you brought it up in the other thread, Shafer's recruiting was atrocious. Part of the problem with this years team is there is no quality depth with the upperclassmen. There is no offensive line and 1 offensive playmaker. Once you got past the top 5 recruits in each class we were basically looking at FCS level talent. Dino's 2017 recruiting class was exceptional and his 2018 class is shaping up to be the best class since the early 2000's.

When it came to game planning there wasn't 1 game he coached the team to a win over a better opponent. In fact, most of the time we got brought out behind the woodshed for a beat down. Everyone gets on Marrone, but there were several times he schemed a win, and he very rarely got blown out with piss poor talent. In 14 games at least Dino has already proven he came win a game he isn't expected to.

Moving on. When it comes to style Shafer never had a defined identity. You tell me what those teams were? HardNosed? Hell no. Those teams were soft as charmin. At first they were supposed to be the Baylor of the north with this up tempo offense. I don't need to mention that was an utter failure. The defense had the identity of a kamikaze blitzing that would get beat over te top with any sort of play action or pump fake. But basically his whole tenure there was no identity. With Babers you know what you are getting, or at least you know what he ultimately wants to do once he gets his guys in here. He's going to spread you out, speed you up, and eventually run the ball right down your throat. Defensively it's Tampa 2 and that's what they are recruiting too. The defense needed to be over hauled more than anything. Wwith the collection of peewee sized db's, that was the exact opposite of what was needed. They got hammered defensively last year, but you can already see massive improvements once he has the type of player in that better fits that style. I truly beloeve the same will eventually happen with the offense. There is no changing of strategy from recruiting class to recruiting class like with Shafer. He is targeting the type of recruit that will excel in his style and it will eventually show on the field.

Now am I happy with Saturday's result? Absolutely not. Losing to MTSU under any circumstance is unacceptable and Babers should be held responsible. The only difference I feel with this loss is that I believe things are going in the right direction. I saw enough adjustments that were made that I was satisfied, but ultimately the kids need to make the plays.

Adjustments? In game? Seriously? The only offensive adjustment was making ED THE feature running threat in the option game. That got him hit 20 times. We continued to play offense and NOT challenge the middle. People don't get how serious this is. It's over 60% of the field that we refused to challenge. We ran the same 3-4 plays all game. The players were not put in a position to win. All on DINO and Lewis ! Anyone hear from Lewis? Oh wait, we only know he likes drake in Twitter. Great.

So I just need to get confirmation on something. You are saying you are feeling a disaster with Dino. Just curious did you feel the same way with Scott?
I'm feeling a problem with Dino's defense. Tampa 2 requires NFL talent to be good. The tempo hangs the defense out to dry when the offense can't execute. Down 21 to UL in less than 8 minutes last year? Wasn't it about that? I see red, red flags that is

Adjustments? In game? Seriously? The only offensive adjustment was making ED THE feature running threat in the option game. That got him hit 20 times. We continued to play offense and NOT challenge the middle. People don't get how serious this is. It's over 60% of the field that we refused to challenge. We ran the same 3-4 plays all game. The players were not put in a position to win. All on DINO and Lewis ! Anyone hear from Lewis? Oh wait, we only know he likes drake in Twitter. Great.

Well you must have missed the adjustment where after the first 3 drives they were -26 yards and the offensive line was giving free runs at Dungey. That's when they went with Pierce and Elmore for max protection. They were able to at least get a little something going then. The offensive line was so putrid they literally couldn't block anyone. At least with the 2 extra blockers it helped take some of the heat off of Dungey.

What do you think you're going to hear from Lewis other than coach speak? Who cares he doesn't speak to the media.

I'm feeling a problem with Dino's defense. Tampa 2 requires NFL talent to be good. The tempo hangs the defense out to dry when the offense can't execute. Down 21 to UL in less than 8 minutes last year? Wasn't it about that? I see red, red flags that is

Of course its an obvious problem. The T2 is unproven at the college level. It's premised on pro level corners and Defensive ends. Good luck with that, unless you are Alabama.

This years defense is light years better than last years defense when they were forced to play with Shafer's peewee db's. The defense wasn't the issue they lost Saturday. That was the OL. The Tampa 2 doesn't require NFL talent. They were just fine until they ran out of gas in the 4th quarter thanks to the offense.

Free advice .....
Re building a program takes 4-5 years
Babers is on his way to doing just that .
When you play a certain style you need your style players . While I can certainly understand the disappointment with losing to a mid major and everyone's right to vent and offer there opinions but I'm blown away by the total meltdown on this board .
Fact time ...
Nothing I mean nothing happens offensively without a functional O line , injury forces us to go young , these guys need time to emerge, can't run with no holes or keep your eyes down field knowing most plays you're under duress, it's a domino effect .
Things you think you see live , or assume you know couldn't be further from the truth .
I'm a football guy tried and true yet many many times when my son was playing I would ? Him on plays only to hear
The WR ran the route to deep , to short , it wasn't even in the progression it was a clear out , than I would stand corrected . All the stuff I swore I saw or knew only to say oh I didn't know that . Film shows us what we missed however few are privy to the truth .
People complain about coach and his answers . Coach can't say things he would like to for many reasons . He must hide injuries , protect game plans , take the heat to protect his players ( which are kids by the way ) and always be policticaly correct . If you are a real fan be patient and give the staff the time it needs . 2 RS O lineman are starting . But with 2 4* commits and frommy whom I'm high on as well . The freshman skill players and 2018 skill commits really have speed and fit Babers scheme and don't forget Tommy D ! Cuse in a few years will win and be bowling ! Than we will be sweating keeping Babers and staff .
There's nothing in sports sweeter than winning after long suffering it was part of the reason we chose cuse for the opportunity to be part of just that . Hopefully we can have some moments this season but the pieces aren't there just yet but it's coming just not as fast as we would like .

Reasons why I don't think Dino should be given a free pass and needs to be held accountable now. Not fired, accountable, as in using Scott Shafer as an excuse won't cut it.

He doesn't need 3 years to bring his guys in. That's a BS blanket statement and Dino hasn't coached anywhere for 3 years yet. He's won with other coaches recruits both times. He's never even had his own guys so that statement is garbage.

People said they could feel the Gerg disaster starting as early as year 1. I'm feeling it with Dino. We gave up 50 or more points 5 times last year. That is the equivalent of Gerg's offenses failing to crack 20. On Sat we couldn't get stops when we really needed them.

Blatantly getting outcoached. We got outcoached in every aspect of the game on Sat. It wasn't Jimmy's and Joe's. It was not having the team prepared, not able to adjust, and not able to take advantage of lesser talent.

We wanted a HC with D1 experience so we didn't have to do this shiat again. We still are.
The person who thinks Shafer should still be our coach is comparing Babers to Greg Robinson? Thank god you're not in charge of hiring and/or firing coaches.

Shoot me. It was 1 game and while I truly believe that this was the worse loss since the GERG era, It was one game. Lets get through it and hope for a better game versus CMU.

CMU dominated Kansas at Kansas this week, now Kansas may not be very good, but then neither are we. I am sorry to say I think we go two in a row saturday. We simply can not play that way and win against anyone.

Fun fact

GRob had 1 win vs the final Sagarin Top 50 with an average score of SU 14.2 Opp 34.2 which is a difference of 20 ppg

Shafer had 0.0 wins vs the final Sagarin Top 50 with an average score of SU 15.1 Opp 36 which is a difference of 20.9 ppg

They had a better fb team? Lol. Seriously? Sorry, not how much fb you know or watch, but that statement is laughable.

Their defense didn't knock is into max protection by running a genius defensive scheme nobody has ever seen before, they did by being faster and stronger. Their QB will and WR both have a good shot at getting drafted. Had they challenged our secondary deep more often I think it could have gotten ugly.

A month ago everyone was worried that Dino would bolt for a new job.

Now people can't wait to fire him.

And it's still September.

Classic. Vintage Syracusefan

I don't think 'we didn't have the firepower' is correct. We basically have the same team that beat VTech in the Dome, less Clark and AET plus we added on a few hand-picked grad transfers.

We've been lucky to avoid pre-season upsets the last 6 or so years, we were due for one, but that doesn't mean that the coach is exempt from blame.

He'll be fine in the long run and is the right coach for Cuse, I just think he had an awful week.

Less AET is the key. We can't run (other than ED scrambling) consistently and our OL is making the passing game even harder with the WRs we do have left. I think this MTSU team beats us 6 out 10 times.

Free advice ...
Re building a program takes 4-5 years
Babers is on his way to doing just that .
When you play a certain style you need your style players . While I can certainly understand the disappointment with losing to a mid major and everyone's right to vent and offer there opinions but I'm blown away by the total meltdown on this board .
Fact time ...
Nothing I mean nothing happens offensively without a functional O line , injury forces us to go young , these guys need time to emerge, can't run with no holes or keep your eyes down field knowing most plays you're under duress, it's a domino effect .
Things you think you see live , or assume you know couldn't be further from the truth .
I'm a football guy tried and true yet many many times when my son was playing I would ? Him on plays only to hear
The WR ran the route to deep , to short , it wasn't even in the progression it was a clear out , than I would stand corrected . All the stuff I swore I saw or knew only to say oh I didn't know that . Film shows us what we missed however few are privy to the truth .
People complain about coach and his answers . Coach can't say things he would like to for many reasons . He must hide injuries , protect game plans , take the heat to protect his players ( which are kids by the way ) and always be policticaly correct . If you are a real fan be patient and give the staff the time it needs . 2 RS O lineman are starting . But with 2 4* commits and frommy whom I'm high on as well . The freshman skill players and 2018 skill commits really have speed and fit Babers scheme and don't forget Tommy D ! Cuse in a few years will win and be bowling ! Than we will be sweating keeping Babers and staff .
There's nothing in sports sweeter than winning after long suffering it was part of the reason we chose cuse for the opportunity to be part of just that . Hopefully we can have some moments this season but the pieces aren't there just yet but it's coming just not as fast as we would like .
this is a fantastic post, and a few people in this thread would do well to read it four or five times.

You need to rewatch the game. We moved the ball in the 2nd half just fine, thanks to adjustments. And we almost won the game if not for key drops.

Also - drop the assistants don't talk with the media thing. I bet a lot of them are cool with it.

Their defense didn't knock is into max protection by running a genius defensive scheme nobody has ever seen before, they did by being faster and stronger. Their QB will and WR both have a good shot at getting drafted. Had they challenged our secondary deep more often I think it could have gotten ugly.

They didn't have time to throw deep. Our DL was eating them alive.

Less AET is the key. We can't run (other than ED scrambling) consistently and our OL is making the passing game even harder with the WRs we do have left. I think this MTSU team beats us 6 out 10 times.

I don't. 2-3 out of 10. Especially if the team were over the emotional and mental haze of playing vs Shafer for the first time.

Just so you know Scott Shafer is the greatest 14-23 coach of alltime and Syracuse made a mistake not giving him more time.

Anyone comparing Shafer and babers should be given a minimum 3 week ban from the board, if nothing other than 1. Track record and 2. Number of games coached so far.

There are some legitimate things to be upset about. For me, it's running right into the line on running plays repeatedly, not working the middle of the field, and lack of "creativity" last game.

But even insinuating babers isn't the guy based on this game and comparing to shafer? Lol.

Anyone comparing Shafer and babers should be given a minimum 3 week ban from the board, if nothing other than 1. Track record and 2. Number of games coached so far.

There are some legitimate things to be upset about. For me, it's running right into the line on running plays repeatedly, not working the middle of the field, and lack of "creativity" last game.

But even insinuating babers isn't the guy based on this game and comparing to shafer? Lol.

Thank you

You need to rewatch the game. We moved the ball in the 2nd half just fine, thanks to adjustments. And we almost won the game if not for key drops.

Also - drop the assistants don't talk with the media thing. I bet a lot of them are cool with it.

Lol,,if you think the assistants are ok with the strength coach being the only one to address the team along with DINO, you are delirious. Dino is a control freak, beyond the level Saban is, as saban lets his assistants talk. We moved the ball in the 2nd half only bc we got desperate, not smart. We started using ED as the primary runner. Pathetic.

Just so you know Scott Shafer is the greatest 14-23 coach of alltime and Syracuse made a mistake not giving him more time.

Dumb post, this thread isn't about THAT.

This years defense is light years better than last years defense when they were forced to play with Shafer's peewee db's. The defense wasn't the issue they lost Saturday. That was the OL. The Tampa 2 doesn't require NFL talent. They were just fine until they ran out of gas in the 4th quarter thanks to the offense.

Lol, most of this year's secondary IS Shafer talent.

Lol,,if you think the assistants are ok with the strength coach being the only one to address the team along with DINO, you are delirious. Dino is a control freak, beyond the level Saban is, as saban lets his assistants talk. We moved the ball in the 2nd half only bc we got desperate, not smart. We started using ED as the primary runner. Pathetic.

Wrong again. He ran just as much in the first half. I ran the numbers this morning.

I think you're nuts if you think they didn't make adjustments that worked. Proof is in the yards. We had -26 yards in the first Q! We had 300 yards in the game. Had the first been like the other 3, the yardage would have been in the 400 range with another 7 points (30).

Dungey ran for a 30 yard score to tie the game in the 4th. He's pretty good, man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom