Free throws will cost us another title | Syracusefan.com

Free throws will cost us another title

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
There's simply no way this team can survive 6 games in the tourny with the lack of clutch ft shooting. Cost us our 2 losses this year, even in ot triche can tie the game with 50 secs left and he makes 1/2. Got lucky it didn't cost us in lville game, triche missed front end of 1 and 1 up 2 with about 2 mins left, lville scores to tie it, 4 point swing. And didn't mcw miss a ft that would have tied it with 50 secs left? Of course he made up for it with steal and dunk. But dirty or not, we wont cut down the nets unless clutch fts improve big time, its ridiculous. I'm at the point where I hope we can just make 1 of 2.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

JB pointed out we're 1st or 2nd in FT% shooting since league play started.

For as bad as MCW has been from the line, he's better than Scoop was last year. Triche has been ok, but some uncharacteristic misses lately, if he finds his stroke from last year we'll be fine. Too bad CJ can't really handle the ball in a pressure situation.

For me, our lack of execution on both ends of the floor down the stretch in regulation was the main culprit for defeat yesterday. Yes, we missed an FT or two, but 'Nova missed a bunch as well and shot even a worse percentage. So, FT's cancel out as far as I'm concerned...

Somehow, I would be quite happy if we can get to the point of winning or losing a NC reduces to FTs. Regretfully, too many other problems right now.

There's simply no way this team can survive 6 games in the tourny with the lack of clutch ft shooting. Cost us our 2 losses this year, even in ot triche can tie the game with 50 secs left and he makes 1/2. Got lucky it didn't cost us in lville game, triche missed front end of 1 and 1 up 2 with about 2 mins left, lville scores to tie it, 4 point swing. And didn't mcw miss a ft that would have tied it with 50 secs left? Of course he made up for it with steal and dunk. But dirty or not, we wont cut down the nets unless clutch fts improve big time, its ridiculous. I'm at the point where I hope we can just make 1 of 2.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Hard to disagree with your argument, while the % might say this is a good FT shooting team, anyone who follows the team closely knows in late clutch situations its bad borderlining on abysmal. Yesterday it finally caught up to us. As this season goes on I miss Scoop more and more, I know he was a 50% shooter his senior year but man theres no doubt in my mind he nails those two ft's saturday if he was playing, zero doubt. I am interested to see what the team looks like Saturday, its far from a must win but we could really use a bounce back W

I'm more worried about rebounding and half court offense at the moment. All teams miss FT's and of course it would have been nice to hit just one more to seal the win but I'll take my chances with that over our defensive rebounding woes and our one shot wonder on offense, MCW.

For as bad as MCW has been from the line, he's better than Scoop was last year.

Why does this comparison matter? Why does being better than Scoop mean anything in the context of what this team needs to achieve?

I've never understood this.

44cuse

FWIW, in conference games SU is 2nd in the BE and Fair is at 86%, Triche at 81% and MCW at 67%.

JB pointed out we're 1st or 2nd in FT% shooting since league play started.

Depends on who is shooting them; if Cj and Grant are getting fouled, we are about 80%. Yesterday, it was the guards, and honestly they are both 50% shooters in close games.

Depends on who is shooting them; if Cj and Grant are getting fouled, we are about 80%. Yesterday, it was the guards, and honestly they are both 50% shooters in close games.

Grant is at 74% in BE games. Less than both Fair and Triche.

FWIW, in conference games SU is 2nd in the BE and Fair is at 86%, Triche at 81% and MCW at 67%.

Id put Triche and MCW at 50% or less in late game situations and thats probably being generous for Triche. We might need to start getting the ball in the hands of Fair or Grant in late game situations. Id say JS to but we all know that situation. Perhaps we can see if Cooney can handle Ft's late?

Id put Triche and MCW at 50% or less in late game situations and thats probably being generous for Triche. We might need to start getting the ball in the hands of Fair or Grant in late game situations. Id say JS to but we all know that situation. Perhaps we can see if Cooney can handle Ft's late?

In BE games in the last 2 mins and OT, Triche is 8-10. Even in OT yesterday, he was 3-4. We remember the misses but not the makes. 3-4 in OT is not perfect, but it's not choking either. Has Grant even taken a FT in the last 2 mins?

In BE games in the last 2 mins and OT, Triche is 8-10. Even in OT yesterday, he was 3-4. We remember the misses but not the makes. 3-4 in OT is not perfect, but it's not choking either. Has Grant even taken a FT in the last 2 mins?

Hmm seems worse then that but I will tak your word for it, maybe I am thinking of the Arkansas and Temple games. Either way I think it maybe beneficial to see if we can get a 3rd player some touches late to give him a go Fair has been shooting pretty dame well from the line this year, perhaps we should try to get him the ball.

Here you go throwing around stats. What the heck?

Hmm seems worse then that but I will tak your word for it, maybe I am thinking of the Arkansas and Temple games. Either way I think it maybe beneficial to see if we can get a 3rd player some touches late to give him a go Fair has been shooting pretty dame well from the line this year, perhaps we should try to get him the ball.

Fair has been our best and most consistent. But he's gonna handle the ball less than the other 2 in end games. The other Triche miss I think in the last 2 mins or OT was the one against Cicny with a couple seconds left that gave them the chance to toss that last second shot.

Grant is at 74% in BE games. Less than both Fair and Triche.

Situationally, in a close game I'd rather have Grant than Triche shooting ft's. Triche missed the front end that would have clinched Cincy game. Fair is the best ft shooter on the team...isn't debatable.

Situationally, in a close game I'd rather have Grant than Triche shooting ft's. Triche missed the front end that would have clinched Cincy game. Fair is the best ft shooter on the team...isn't debatable.

yesterday waas close right? Triche was 3-4. Not a choke job. I love how Grant has improved his FT shooting. But what evidence do you have that he will make them all in end game situations?

Fair has been our best and most consistent. But he's gonna handle the ball less than the other 2 in end games. The other Triche miss I think in the last 2 mins or OT was the one against Cicny with a couple seconds left that gave them the chance to toss that last second shot.
After the Temple game they seem to be hitting a good percentage. Much improved.

Maybe we should go small, how is Cooney from the line? Maybe thats where he could contribute. Agree about Fair I think he actually does the inbounding so unless he gets a board hes not going to handle the ball.

Maybe we should go small, how is Cooney from the line? Maybe thats where he could contribute. Agree about Fair I think he actually does the inbounding so unless he gets a board hes not going to handle the ball.
For all we know Cooney shots 95% from the line practice, but obviously when the game starts he loses confidence in his shot, so I would not want him at the line at the end of the game.

Also, it's hysterical that someone would rather have Grant take end of the game FT's than Triche.

the 1 he missed in ot yesterday would have tied the game with 50 seconds left, hes gotta make that. he could have iced the game against cincy and missed, jb said he knew before he shot he was missing it. he missed a HUGE front end of 1 and 1 against louisville, guess it wasnt inside 2 minutes but it was close.

What is particularly irksome to me is that there is virtually no excuse for a player to miss a FT to the left or right. It's like throwing a dart. Just follow through at the target (the back of the rim), and the ball will be on line. Then it just becomes a matter of proper distance, and there is some margin for error.

another reason why Triche should have touched the damn ball in the last 3 mins of regulation

Situationally, in a close game I'd rather have Grant than Triche shooting ft's.

Really? A freshman, who is shooting 53.5% from the line, and has rarely been in that situation, over Triche? If you polled every college basketball coach in America, what percentage do you think would choose Grant?

What is particularly irksome to me is that there is virtually no excuse for a player to miss a FT to the left or right. It's like throwing a dart. Just follow through at the target (the back of the rim), and the ball will be on line. Then it just becomes a matter of proper distance, and there is some margin for error.
Well, there's that whole human error thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom