Friday night lights recruit report | Syracusefan.com

Friday night lights recruit report

SouthernCuse

Starter
I took the 40 mile drive up to Denton Tx this friday night to watch Guyer high take on crosstown rival Braswell.
Guyer is the home of Syracuse OL recruit Willie Goodacre, so I thought I would have a see for myself.
Trying to link a couple small videos of some of his better blocks, one where you can see his tendency to hook with his arms, does this when someone tries to get around him on pass rush, hooks high, cause his arms are strong enough to hold up the rusher, but could easily get called. The other is a nice TD where they move him from LT all the way over in motion to Right TE, he finds a block on the second level, and pushes the smaller player as far as he wants to push him.
2 short blocks

Frankly, for most of the first half I was wondering why we recruited this guy. Oh he was big enough, low center of gravity, but he ran slow, wasn't sure about his first step tended to hook and hold if anyone beat him. He didn't have to do much as Braswell played a 3 man line and didn't send the LBs much in the first half. The Left Guard who was as tall as willie and seemed more athletic could pretty much handle the DL on his own. Later in the first half the DL figured out he might be able to get around wide of Willie and did once where Willie hooked and held him but not enough, QB got hit, but made a nice thrown just before. The second wide rush the DL was trying to get by again, and Wille hooked and held him right down to the ground, I would have flagged him, but he got away with it, and a nice Guyer TD was the result.

Before the next series one of the coaches got in his face for a good long 30 second face to face. Willie seemed to get it, had a nice pancake crashing left on a run play, and picked up the LB when they tried him a couple times outside with no trouble jumping out and being ready.

Still he has gotten away with pushing, or enveloping the (usually) smaller opponent a bit too much and probably needs technique development. Because of his lower body strength, but lack of speed, my amateur eye seems him more at guard at SU, but I will let the coaches decide that.

Saw a woman with a 66 - Goodacre jersey, so I said hello. Turned out to be stepmom, Amaris (?) perhaps (band was loud at halftime. Told her SU was happy to get him, hope he was excited. She was not sure about the cold and the snow ( hey, Texas lifer I suppose), but said he was excited.

Hoping I can attached a couple of pics, including the Braswell band, wherein I present evidence of 12 tubas in a high school band, sorry Tomcat. Says files are too big, I will put the tuba pic at the link.

Last edited:
I took the 40 mile drive up to Denton Tx this friday night to watch Guyer high take on crosstown rival Braswell.
Guyer is the home of Syracuse OL recruit Willie Goodacre, so I thought I would have a see for myself.
Trying to link a couple small videos of some of his better blocks, one where you can see his tendency to hook with his arms, does this when someone tries to get around him on pass rush, hooks high, cause his arms are strong enough to hold up the rusher, but could easily get called. The other is a nice TD where they move him from LT all the way over in motion to Right TE, he finds a block on the second level, and pushes the smaller player as far as he wants to push him.
2 short blocks

Frankly, for most of the first half I was wondering why we recruited this guy. Oh he was big enough, low center of gravity, but he ran slow, wasn't sure about his first step tended to hook and hold if anyone beat him. He didn't have to do much as Braswell played a 3 man line and didn't send the LBs much in the first half. The Left Guard who was as tall as willie and seemed more athletic could pretty much handle the DL on his own. Later in the first half the DL figured out he might be able to get around wide of Willie and did once where Willie hooked and held him but not enough, QB got hit, but made a nice thrown just before. The second wide rush the DL was trying to get by again, and Wille hooked and held him right down to the ground, I would have flagged him, but he got away with it, and a nice Guyer TD was the result.

Before the next series one of the coaches got in his face for a good long 30 second face to face. Willie seemed to get it, had a nice pancake crashing left on a run play, and picked up the LB when they tried him a couple times outside with no trouble jumping out and being ready.

Still he has gotten away with pushing, or enveloping the (usually) smaller opponent a bit too much and probably needs technique development. Because of his lower body strength, but lack of speed, my amateur eye seems him more at guard at SU, but I will let the coaches decide that.

Saw a woman with a 66 - Goodacre jersey, so I said hello. Turned out to be stepmom, Amaris (?) perhaps (band was loud at halftime. Told her SU was happy to get him, hope he was excited. She was not sure about the cold and the snow ( hey, Texas lifer I suppose), but said he was excited.

Hoping I can attached a couple of pics, including the Braswell band, wherein I present evidence of 12 tubas in a high school band, sorry Tomcat. Says files are too big, I will put the tuba pic at the link.
Thanks so much for this. It’s the type of personable, next-level content that can only be found on this board.

2 short blocks

Heading to Denton, Texas on Veteran’s Day weekend for a wedding. Any tidbits I should be aware of?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom