Friday Night Ratings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Friday Night Ratings

Local market data is a lot harder to come by, and won't be found in an article. Someone would have to get a list of television homes by county to even know what the breakdown is in the NYC dma. I used to do custom runs for NBC for stuff like this, but a long time ago. Not sure how the technology has evolved.

The numbers also represent all of NYC and the boroughs...you asked the question and those are the Nielsen ratings.

I was wondering if you would drag your sorry ass back here after your team's last puke job. Can't wait to enjoy the beatdown WVU is going to put on the snookies this weekend.

Maybe i should get cable television because I streamed the cuse game to 42 inch television via espn3 and wasn't counted (Jersey City).

:)

NYC DMA

New_York_Metropolitan_Area_Counties_Illustration.PNG

The point is, if you separate the NJ and NYC ratings, you might get a totally different result.

Agreed, that is all that mattters, who knew Rutgers was viewed better in NJ. In addition, who cares? we are where we want to be and RU is left holding a 10 pound pag of worm laden dog sheet

Is a Rutgers fan seriously trying to argue anything regarding TV and Media with a bunch of Syracuse grads?

Maybe i should get cable television because I streamed the cuse game to 42 inch television via espn3 and wasn't counted (Jersey City).

:)

NYC DMA

New_York_Metropolitan_Area_Counties_Illustration.PNG

In addition to NYC and the boroughs the demogaphic includes Rockland, Westchester, and Putnam etc counties in New York state so it balances out the counties in NJ included anyway.

Just in, Rutgers/Ville DOUBLED SU/WV for the NYC TV ratings on Fri night. Even being on ESPN 2 and with you playing a ranked WV team the numbers are pretty clear here...

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/10/rutgers-louisville_tv_rating_i.html

This JUST IN, rutgers fans and Tom Luicci don't know what a DMA is and continue to use it as some rutgers selling point. Those numbers he quotes includes the following heavily populated NJ counties. The ACC and B10 know what they are and I am sure have gotten NYC data.

Bergen, NJ ~ Essex, NJ ~ Hudson, NJ ~ Hunterdon, NJ ~ Middlesex, NJ ~ Monmouth, NJ ~ Morris, NJ ~ Ocean, NJ ~ Passaic, NJ ~ Somerset, NJ ~ Sussex, NJ ~ Union, NJ ~ Warren, NJ

Just in, Rutgers/Ville DOUBLED SU/WV for the NYC TV ratings on Fri night. Even being on ESPN 2 and with you playing a ranked WV team the numbers are pretty clear here...

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/10/rutgers-louisville_tv_rating_i.html

-----------------------

Interesting that SU vs a well ranked WVU team got such comparatively poor numbers.
One would doubt UL is a comparable draw vs WVU.
Further the question is were the viewers attracted to watching WVU vs interest in SU?

Seems to reflect the impact of years of poor, uncompetitive football has taken a serious toll on the SU brand.

What the ratings tell me is that it is pointless to go after NYC. Seriously a 1.45 is the 4th best rating EVER on ESPN2 in NYC? Why even bother going after NYC for numbers that low?

This JUST IN, rutgers fans and Tom Luicci don't know what a DMA is and continue to use it as some rutgers selling point. Those numbers he quotes includes the following heavily populated NJ counties. The ACC and B10 know what they are and I am sure have gotten NYC data.

Bergen, NJ ~ Essex, NJ ~ Hudson, NJ ~ Hunterdon, NJ ~ Middlesex, NJ ~ Monmouth, NJ ~ Morris, NJ ~ Ocean, NJ ~ Passaic, NJ ~ Somerset, NJ ~ Sussex, NJ ~ Union, NJ ~ Warren, NJ
exactly bees, who gives a F, my god... We dont need to worry about this anymore...

the three counties in NJ included anyway.

3? Don't know geography either.Here's the deal that will be hard for you to understand because it has been for quite awhile. NYC ALONE, is a pro town right now. If there is any college fav it isn't rutgers or SU but is beginning to get some SU flavor with our recruiting down there. I also have no doubt more NYC ALONE viewers watched SU than they did rutgers. But you KILL SU in viewers in NJ so of course a DMA number is going to be in your favor. Just because 100x more people in NJ watched rutgers than SU doesn't mean that more viewers in NYC watched rutgers. It's why you have NOT been invited by any conference yet. They do the REAL math while you guys just spin data that isn't applicable/

The terminology in that article was incorrect, those weren't shares, those were ratings. But they were more or less accurate.

SU-WVU did have roughly 50% more audience nationally than RU-UL, but RU definitely did much better in the NY DMA.

And for the record, a DMA is the entire market. Nielsen does not publish specific "city" ratings.

What the ratings tell me is that it is pointless to go after NYC. Seriously a 1.45 is the 4th best rating EVER on ESPN2 in NYC? Why even bother going after NYC for numbers that low?

Volume vs. percentages?

The terminology in that article was incorrect, those weren't shares, those were ratings. But they were more or less accurate.

SU-WVU did have roughly 50% more audience nationally than RU-UL, but RU definitely did much better in the NY DMA.

And for the record, a DMA is the entire market. Nielsen does not publish specific "city" ratings.
So in terms of actual numbers watching who had more overall and what would that number be guesstimated.

So in terms of actual numbers watching who had more overall and what would that number be guesstimated.

rutgers had 26,527 TV's in NJ tuned to their game and 4 in NYC.

You mean who had more people watching each game nationally? That would be SU-WVU, by nearly ~45% more than RU-UL.

That's about all I can share. If others want to work the Google to find numbers I'm happy to comment on whether they are accurate or not. :)

Thanks. Try to explain that last point to Tom Luicci and a rutgers fan. SU has never said nor marketed being NJ's team.

Volume vs. percentages?

RU beat out SU in the NY DMA by a 2 to 1 margin, but even their number was low. So it was like RU's crap rating beat out SU's crappier rating. It wasn't a win but a lessor crap showing, just like their win on the FB field this year. Meanwhile nationally SU crushed RU by a 2 to 1 margin. So what good is it to "win" NYC if it doesn't move the national needle?

RU beat out SU in the NY DMA by a 2 to 1 margin, but even their number was low. So it was like RU's crap rating beat out SU's crappier rating. It wasn't a win but a lessor crap showing, just like their win on the FB field this year. Meanwhile nationally SU crushed RU by a 2 to 1 margin. So what good is it to "win" NYC if it doesn't move the national needle?

Not knowing what these number of shares or ratings relates to real TV's, my point was 2% of a really big number of TV's is better than 5% of not that many TV's. A 2 share in NYCDMA would be better than a 5 share in Omaha I would think, but maybe not. As to the national needle, I wouldn't expect any DMA to make a noticeable impact on a national number. Too much base in the fraction.

3? Don't know geography either.Here's the deal that will be hard for you to understand because it has been for quite awhile. NYC ALONE, is a pro town right now. If there is any college fav it isn't rutgers or SU but is beginning to get some SU flavor with our recruiting down there. I also have no doubt more NYC ALONE viewers watched SU than they did rutgers. But you KILL SU in viewers in NJ so of course a DMA number is going to be in your favor. Just because 100x more people in NJ watched rutgers than SU doesn't mean that more viewers in NYC watched rutgers. It's why you have NOT been invited by any conference yet. They do the REAL math while you guys just spin data that isn't applicable/

Easy Bees...no need to get personal. I included the counties bordering the city in NJ and those in NY state. There are many extended counties included in both NY state and NJ also. If SU is "New Yorks" team then shouldn't all of your viewers in the the NY state counties help balance out the ratings? Also NYC and the boroughs make up the majority of the viewers in the entire demographic.

The population size included in this demographic is unbelievable so so each % point in market penetration is huge. Rutgers clearly is #1 in that market. It will be a reason we get picked up by someone eventually.

Easy Bees...no need to get personal. I included the counties bordering the city in NJ and those in NY state. There are many extended counties included in both NY state and NJ also. If SU is "New Yorks" team then shouldn't all of your viewers in the the NY state counties help balance out the ratings? Also NYC and the boroughs make up the majority of the viewers in the entire demographic.

The population size included in this demographic is unbelievable so so each % point in market penetration is huge. Rutgers clearly is #1 in that market. It will be a reason we get picked up by someone eventually.

why is it so difficult for you to admit that the numbers are skewed, if they include NJ viewers?

No one is disputing that RU was #1 in the NYC DMA on Friday. But to say that you own NYC because a bunch of people in Jersey watched a football game is nonsense.

Enjoy the MAC.

Let's be honest. SU and RU Football are marginal sports in NYC. Barely register. SU hoops on the other hand is huge. Huge in NYC and a popular brand around the country. Other than in NJ, Rutgers is nothing, a nobody from nowhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom