Friday Night Ratings | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Friday Night Ratings

Honestly, I'm surprise that Rutgers did as good as they did in jersey to begin with. However, as has be stated clearly enough for anyone but a Rutgers fan - they didn't do nearly as well as they think they did in nyc.

Now this is funny

Saturday, Nov 5th
The TV execs at ESPN do this:

Cuse at UConn Noon on ESPNU

USF at Rutgers Time: TBD on ESPN3

Honestly, I'm surprise that Rutgers did as good as they did in jersey to begin with. However, as has be stated clearly enough for anyone but a Rutgers fan - they didn't do nearly as well as they think they did in nyc.

If you're a Rutgers fan, you're in a bad situation. so bad that you can look at the NYC DMA from Friday and think you're seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. sad, really.

The thing is, no one in the gold, purple, or blue areas in the DMA map above will EVER care about RU. Those areas don't give a crap about anything Jersey. In fact most people in those areas hate Jersey. That won't change. RU can dominate the green and red areas. But that alone won't move the needle, which is why the B1G likely doesn't invite RU unless it is packaged with ND.

You've nailed this. The NYC DMA includes Northern and Central Jerz, Westchester, LI, and the City proper. Rutgers obviously won NJ handily and trumps our smaller victories in the remainder of the DMA.

Most Westchester and LI folks wouldn't be caught dead rooting for a Jersey team. That's just reality. I'm sure there is no way to prove it but its safe to say we would be higher rated in those areas. The actual city of NYC, nobody cares and both ratings are probably miniscule.

Seeing that NY State as a whole cares much, much more about Syracuse (upstate, Westchester, and LI), why can't we call ourselves NY's College Team? Rutgers tries to refute this because they stick Jersey into the NYC DMA and pass it off as though Manhattan loves Rutgers. Anybody who lives around here knows better.

Now this is funny

Saturday, Nov 5th

Would you like to take a shot at explaining this RRUUUU? Your powerful Rutgers ratings got you an internet game.

Now this is funny

Saturday, Nov 5th

That's because the family of ESPN stations are national channels. And SU crushes rutgers on a national basis. It's why Friday night SU had their premier channel.

Maybe i should get cable television because I streamed the cuse game to 42 inch television via espn3 and wasn't counted (Jersey City).

:)

NYC DMA

New_York_Metropolitan_Area_Counties_Illustration.PNG

Just in, Rutgers/Ville DOUBLED SU/WV for the NYC TV ratings on Fri night. Even being on ESPN 2 and with you playing a ranked WV team the numbers are pretty clear here...

tp://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/10/rutgers-louisville_tv_rating_i.html

I'm pretty sure there are zip codes in eastern PA that also fall in the NY DMA.

That's because the family of ESPN stations are national channels. And SU crushes rutgers on a national basis. It's why Friday night SU had their premier channel.

BRAND, BRAND, BRAND -- Rutgers fans still refuse to get it. We are Nike, they are LA Gear.

BRAND, BRAND, BRAND -- Rutgers fans still refuse to get it. We are Nike, they are LA Gear.

What is LA Gear?

You've nailed this. The NYC DMA includes Northern and Central Jerz, Westchester, LI, and the City proper. Rutgers obviously won NJ handily and trumps our smaller victories in the remainder of the DMA.

Most Westchester and LI folks wouldn't be caught dead rooting for a Jersey team. That's just reality. I'm sure there is no way to prove it but its safe to say we would be higher rated in those areas. The actual city of NYC, nobody cares and both ratings are probably miniscule.

Seeing that NY State as a whole cares much, much more about Syracuse (upstate, Westchester, and LI), why can't we call ourselves NY's College Team? Rutgers tries to refute this because they stick Jersey into the NYC DMA and pass it off as though Manhattan loves Rutgers. Anybody who lives around here knows better.

I don't know that it's fair to say that "nobody cares" in New York. I think in NY, more than other cities, the people who care the most (youngish sports fans) are out at bars at 8pm on Friday. I guarantee that more bars in Manhattan were showing the SU/WVU game than the RU/UL game. I have no idea if the ratings account for this though.

Exactly

Haha, that was going to be my exact response. I'm glad I used them as the "Rutgers" in the example. That someone fits the description of their national relevance

Ratings have become much more sophisticated, but I'm pretty the competitive nature of the RU-Lville game would have attracted SU-WVU viewers once the SU- WVU game was out of reach...and that would have skewed the numbers. So in essence, its a big Apple to oranges comparison between the two games.

As someone who spent 9 years in the west village and 6 in jersey city this is as true today as it was in 1976.

The World As Seen From New York's 9th Avenue

NewYorker1976-03-29cover.png

This picture is funny because it's partially true. Thanks for posting it because I recently searched online for it without success.

Rutgers played a road game, so naturally a lot of TVs in Jersey were tuned into the Rutgers game. And by the way, Rutgers lost in a boring game. It might have been better for Rutgers that the national numbers for SU v. WVU are so much higher...except SU blew out WVU and the SU story dominated ESPN news and Sportscenter all night.

Here's the thing about this whole 'Who is NYC's team?' thing. It was only relevant with regards to realignment.

As far as SU is concerned, realignment is over and we won. At this point, these ratings numbers are meaningless. We're in a stable BCS conference. Rutgers is not. Period. End of story.

Ratings have become much more sophisticated, but I'm pretty the competitive nature of the RU-Lville game would have attracted SU-WVU viewers once the SU- WVU game was out of reach...and that would have skewed the numbers. So in essence, its a big Apple to oranges comparison between the two games.

Eh, not really. Ratings simply measure the number of people who are watching a show on average in any given minute. Sports are viewed almost entirely live, so DVR playback isn't much of a factor. Sure there may have been some folks who turned from our game to Rutgers as it got more lopsided, but that wouldn't account for the bulk of the RU-UL advantage in the NY DMA.

I'm not sure why people feel so compelled to argue this. Rutgers is a big state school located in the market, of course they'll have more audience than a private school 250 miles away.

Only on message boards do people argue about colleges "delivering" the NY DMA. No one does, nor ever will.

I'm pretty sure there are zip codes in eastern PA that also fall in the NY DMA.

Yes, Pike is a county in Pennsylvania. As stated before, the NYC DMA also includes Fairfield County, Connecticut. There's a lot more than the five boroughs in the NYC DMA.

FYI, from the Twitter:

espnmikes Mike Soltys

ESPN/ESPN2’s ratings since Friday impacted by an encoding error. We expect revised #s for last few days when sorted out.

FYI, from the Twitter:

espnmikes Mike Soltys

ESPN/ESPN2’s ratings since Friday impacted by an encoding error. We expect revised #s for last few days when sorted out.
You could read that either including or excluding Friday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom