Friday Night Ratings | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Friday Night Ratings

The population size included in this demographic is unbelievable so so each % point in market penetration is huge. Rutgers clearly is #1 in that market. It will be a reason we get picked up by someone eventually.

1.45. I'll concede that Rutgers is #1 in the NYC DMA, if you'll concede that all it means is you are a sliver less irrelevant to the market than college football in general.

You may get picked up eventually, but it won't be because you can deliver the NYC market. Not when you're bragging about 1.45.

Thanks. Try to explain that last point to Tom Luicci and a rutgers fan. SU has never said nor marketed being NJ's team.

So if I'm looking at that map the right way, is that saying that the NYC DMA includes the county that contains Rutgers University as well as all of its surrounding counties? (including a 2nd county even further south).

If that's correct, add me to the list of people that will never pay attention to NYC DMA #'s again. Which I assume puts me on a list with the fine people of the Big 10, the ACC, and several other distinguished guests.

Also that makes the Rutgers rating for an away game look even worse. At least if it were a well attended home game you could say well I know of 50k people that couldn't watch on TV.

Maybe i should get cable television because I streamed the cuse game to 42 inch television via espn3 and wasn't counted (Jersey City).

:)

NYC DMA

New_York_Metropolitan_Area_Counties_Illustration.PNG

Unless something has changed in the last eight years, the Connecticut part is not accurate. It used to be just Fairfield County as part of the NYC DMA. The other seven counties in CT were in the Hartford-New Haven DMA.

I would expect Rutgers to do better in the NYC DMA for football. They're a huge state flagship school. I have to believe their alumni (and family of alumni) are much more concentrated in the NYC DMA than Syracuse. Syracuse is a private school that draws students regionally and nationally. Syracuse's smaller alumni base is scattered all over the country. The Rutgers campus kind of sucks and doesn’t really draw outside of NJ. No one wants to pay the out-of-state rate for the Rutgers experience.

With Syracuse, the ACC is getting a small piece of NYC, plus additional exposure nationally, on the eastern seaboard (New England - Florida), and upstate NY.

Syracuse is a national brand and Rutgers is not. Meanwhile, Jersey Shore crushes Rutgers football in NYC DMA.

How are the numbers for upstate NY? Let's face it, arguing with some RU fans is like wrestling pigs; after a while you realize you are in the pig stye wrestling in the mud/muck and no one is going to win, then you come to the conclusion that the pig enjoys it.

Besides, Upstate NY has approximately the same population as NJ. Capturing anything in NYC is a bonus.

1.45. I'll concede that Rutgers is #1 in the NYC DMA, if you'll concede that all it means is you are a sliver less irrelevant to the market than college football in general.

You may get picked up eventually, but it won't be because you can deliver the NYC market. Not when you're bragging about 1.45.

No one owns the NYC market. That is clear. Rutgers does, however, garner the highest ratings in that DMA. A region that represents the highest population density in the country and is valued by the networks. Although no one dominates the market a small percentage here equals a large percentage almost anywhere else. I can only imagine what kind of numbers we would produce playing in the Big 10(for example).

You mean who had more people watching each game nationally? That would be SU-WVU, by nearly ~45% more than RU-UL.

That's about all I can share. If others want to work the Google to find numbers I'm happy to comment on whether they are accurate or not. :)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...us-sanctuary-boss-house-of-payne-more/108154/

Zap2It basically only gives viewers:

ESPN College Football - ESPN - 2.21 million viewers
ESPN College Football - ESPN2 - 1.472 million viewers

Cheers,
Neil

In addition to NYC and the boroughs the demogaphic includes Rockland, Westchester, and Putnam etc counties in New York state so it balances out the counties in NJ included anyway.
No - it doesn't balance it out. Rutgers is not located in Rockland, Westchester, or Putnam etc counties the last time I looked. Of course RU will get big numbers in NJ. I would like to see (and I don't know if there is anyway of seeing this or not) what the NYC numbers look like. Or the NYC and Rockland, Westchester, and Putnam etc. numbers. Saying you capture the NYC market when you are talking about numbers based on the NY DMA is apples/oranges when dealing with a NJ college. I bet we double the RU-LV ratings if we looked at Westchester county alone.

Easy Bees...no need to get personal. I included the counties bordering the city in NJ and those in NY state. There are many extended counties included in both NY state and NJ also. If SU is "New Yorks" team then shouldn't all of your viewers in the the NY state counties help balance out the ratings? Also NYC and the boroughs make up the majority of the viewers in the entire demographic.

The population size included in this demographic is unbelievable so so each % point in market penetration is huge. Rutgers clearly is #1 in that market. It will be a reason we get picked up by someone eventually.

I will bring it down to a different level. Lets say there are 10 TV's in NYC and 6 in NJ. Of the 10 in NY, 7 could care less about college football and 2 watched SU and 1 watched rutgers. In NJ, of the 6 TV's, 3 could care less about college football and the other 3 watched rutgers. So in total 4 TVs watched rutgers and 2 watched SU. This isn't that difficult. You are NJ's team, congrats.

And BTW, those counties in NJ are HEAVILY populated. It's not as big as NYC, but most in NYC don't care about any of them. So you can't just off handed say NYC makes up the majority of viewers. Make no mistake, when it comes to NYC and the burroughs, SU will trump rutgers.

What is the deal with Tom Lucci? He is an absolute ..
Actually, no he's not. He is a very, very good writer. He just dropped the ball on this one. Or, he pandered to his base.

No one owns the NYC market. That is clear. Rutgers does, however, garner the highest ratings in that DMA. A region that represents the highest population density in the country and is valued by the networks. Although no one dominates the market a small percentage here equals a large percentage almost anywhere else. I can only imagine what kind of numbers we would produce playing in the Big 10(for example).

The thing is, no one in the gold, purple, or blue areas in the DMA map above will EVER care about RU. Those areas don't give a crap about anything Jersey. In fact most people in those areas hate Jersey. That won't change. RU can dominate the green and red areas. But that alone won't move the needle, which is why the B1G likely doesn't invite RU unless it is packaged with ND.

So if I'm looking at that map the right way, is that saying that the NYC DMA includes the county that contains Rutgers University as well as all of its surrounding counties? (including a 2nd county even further south).

If that's correct, add me to the list of people that will never pay attention to NYC DMA #'s again. Which I assume puts me on a list with the fine people of the Big 10, the ACC, and several other distinguished guests.

Also that makes the Rutgers rating for an away game look even worse. At least if it were a well attended home game you could say well I know of 50k people that couldn't watch on TV.

You have it exactly. And every rutgers fan or writer that is now running with this on twitter and the papers looks stupid if they don't understand that. For anyone to just hold that up as some proof that rutgers is NYC's team is foolish. And many of them drop the DMA off the numbers and quote it as NYC numbers.

I will bring it down to a different level. Lets say there are 10 TV's in NYC and 6 in NJ. Of the 10 in NY, 7 could care less about college football and 2 watched SU and 1 watched rutgers. In NJ, of the 6 TV's, 3 could care less about college football and the other 3 watched rutgers. So in total 4 TVs watched rutgers and 2 watched SU. This isn't that difficult. You are NJ's team, congrats.

And BTW, those counties in NJ are HEAVILY populated. It's not as big as NYC, but most in NYC don't care about any of them. So you can't just off handed say NYC makes up the majority of viewers. Make no mistake, when it comes to NYC and the burroughs, SU will trump rutgers.

Excellent response.

imho, there is no denying that Rutgers' football has a stronger showing overall in the NYC DMA (the numbers don't lie) - but that showing is the direct result of their being NJ's team and northern NJ being a huge part of that DMA.

What SU has, that Rutgers doesn't, is a year-long presence in the NYC DMA. And that is more than enough to tip the balance in the Orange's favor when it comes to making the claim of being NY's college sports team.

And keep in mind that Rutgers now has 5 years of doing reasonably well in football (although all of their highly rated games per the article itself were games from 2006 and 2007 when the Scarlet Knights were a curiosity bad-to-good storyline). Since that time they have leveled off again and I don't think they have garnered numbers in the NYC DMA anywhere near those lofty ones.

We seemingly are on the way up (like Rutgers was in 2005). Will our numbers improve over the next few years as a result of the Giants Stadium games and a Top 25 team? Probably not as high as RU achieved in 2006, but probably not to the point of receiving only half the TV viewers that Rutgers receives now.

Time will tell.

Cheers,
Neil

You don't get the fact that if you could crush this TV stuff you'd already be in a conference because you would be in big demand. You'd have your choice of conferences. But you don't. So that is proof positive that if you get in a conference it is because of something else like being dragged along as filler or ND wanting more exposure in the area. Congrats on owning the TV sets around rutgers campus because I am sure nobody in the NY/NYC counties or burroughs gave a crap about your game.

This nonsense is the reason why after we leave for the ACC we never have anything else to do with Rutgers. I cannot wait until they fall even further into irrelevance.

As someone who spent 9 years in the west village and 6 in jersey city this is as true today as it was in 1976.

The World As Seen From New York's 9th Avenue

NewYorker1976-03-29cover.png

And another thing the rutgers yocals don't get. ESPN is not just a northern nj station. National numbers do matter, even more so.

Well, to be fair, the national numbers were helped by the fact we were facing a Top 20 WVU squad. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

How are the TV ratings metrics pulled? Had i not been a cuse fan, I would have switched over to the game that was more competitive.

Not that would have mattered ratings wise anyway. I'm OTA antenna and broadband connection.

While my responses have been more in terms of the ESPN ratings, let's try and keep this in focus with this article from September 2010:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...tml?mod=WSJ_NY_Sports_LEFT_LEADNewsCollection

Last September's Notre Dame-Michigan matchup, between teams that didn't go to a bowl game last season, was the highest-rated game in the area by far. It scored a 5.2 rating, according to Nielsen, ahead of USC and Ohio State's 3.7 rating. That's not to say locals can't make an impact, as the biggest-ever ESPN college-football rating in New York was Rutgers's 2006 game against Louisville.

One of the reasons why any discussion of NYC's college football team begins with Notre Dame - not Rutgers and not Syracuse.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom