From a syracuse student | Syracusefan.com

From a syracuse student

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Spare me a lot of this "here comes the board meltdown" bs. It is well deserved.

First let me say- the su athletic dept is terrible. Why have students pay for season tickets when you are going to have games for free, which only attracts kids who don't consider themselves true fans anyway. There is no reason tickets should not be free, but that is another story.

To the game- people wonder why students don't go to the game?

I've been going to every home game since I've been 6 years old, and I just witnessed the most inexcusable loss (exception maybe of Iowa game) today.

An average team is at least up 28-3 in the second half of that game.

The defense played their hearts out- the offense and special teams should be ashamed.

Fitting the game ended the way it did-- fully on the offense.

Let's be real here, we could absolutely be 0-5. We are not a good team..at least not yet.

The way that game started, leading 7-0 in the first minute, I finally thought we were going to blow a team out. The amount of mistakes were unbelievable. I don't need to list them here, you all watched the same game I did. You go for it on 4th and a foot in overtime, given the way the game was played. On that 3rd down, you go to the back up RB? Inexcusable.

Bottom line- we don't capitalize when we should, and our special teams has big problems.

We lost to a very bad football team today. Rutgers can't even believe they won.

How was the student section today?
Even with free tickets, I'm sure a ton of kids left during half time

do we even have a special teams coordinator? isnt it done by committee?

Stop bitching about the students when 5 thousand of my fellow townies have left evey ot game at the end of regulation. Now back to your originally scheduled board meltdown.

Student section was definitely better this week, and a lot of students did stay until the end. Unfortunately many won't return because the game they watched today was pathetic.

student section was great today. see what happens when you give tickets away?

The majority of the students stayed, so don't give any bs that the student section at SU is bad because when they do give free tickets they're there in force and loud. We need to get better entertainment for half time because watching a girl twirl a baton while the band plays isn't pumping the crowd up at all.

The student section was awesome !!!!!

The university should do the right thing and refund the money that students paid for football season tickets and let them in for free the rest of this season and in the future. The atmosphere was great today with a packed student section.

The majority of the students stayed, so don't give any bs that the student section at SU is bad because when they do give free tickets they're there in force and loud. We need to get better entertainment for half time because watching a girl twirl a baton while the band plays isn't pumping the crowd up at all.

What would you suggest?

Bring in a band or I had the idea today that why not bring out a couple pop warner teams? The fans would definitely get a kick out of watching a bunch of 8-10 year olds out there. Also, why not get the lax team out there for a quick scrimmage, and promote them? If we need the room for kicks before the second half then have the lax team play on one side.

. Unfortunately many won't return because the game they watched today was pathetic.

That makes them pathetic. If people wouldn't come back because the game was pathetic then they don't know about sports and shouldn't pretend to be sports fans. Games like this happen no matter what sport you watch and no matter what team you follow. Fans follow their teams through thick and thin over many, many years. At some point as a fan you have to go through a game like this. To freakin bad if they don't come back - they shouldn't be watching sports.

That makes them pathetic. If people wouldn't come back because the game was pathetic then they don't know about sports and shouldn't pretend to be sports fans. Games like this happen no matter what sport you watch and no matter what team you follow. Fans follow their teams through thick and thin over many, many years. At some point as a fan you have to go through a game like this. To freakin bad if they don't come back - they shouldn't be watching sports.
Your expectations are too high.

Bring in a band or I had the idea today that why not bring out a couple pop warner teams? The fans would definitely get a kick out of watching a bunch of 8-10 year olds out there. Also, why not get the lax team out there for a quick scrimmage, and promote them? If we need the room for kicks before the second half then have the lax team play on one side.
I understand the LAX suggestion, but not sure I would be entertained watching guys toss the ball around. Pop Warner idea is fine but I'm not sure why one needs to be entertained at halftime. I find the long commercial breaks more boring than the half time break. Isn't half time when a lot of people go to the trough and to concessions. Either that or rehash the first half with their fellow fans.

Your expectations are too high.

I understand what your saying and I know that syracuse football isn't going to have 40K + diehards that watch the game regardless of how the team performs. But to imply that many of the students won't come back because the team was pathetic. If a "fan" wouldn't come back to a free game because of one performance then they don't know about sports and never played anything. If they're not really a big fan, so be it - in reality they probably cared less about the game and had no emotional investment, so why not come back again for free.

Also, why not get the lax team out there for a quick scrimmage, and promote them? If we need the room for kicks before the second half then have the lax team play on one side.

You're only allowed a limited number of fall LAX practices. If you stage a half-assed scrimmage during halftime, you lose the Alumni scrimmage next Saturday.

Here's an idea. Why not pump brain-blasting music through the PA system all half-time long? Why should the fans get any relief just because it's half-time? :)

It's ing half time. Stretch, take a leak, grab some concessions, chit chat a bit (this would be the opportune time to send those texts) and get ready for the second half. It's not the superbowl - it's 20 minutes for Christ's sake.

Worst Syracuse loss I have ever witnessed. Yes SU has gotten beat badly by superior teams and those loses were tough to take but totally understandable. This loss we be hard to forget. Yeah I'm addictesd to SU FB, but if there was ever a need for rehab...this was the game that made that need so evident. Offensive offensive play calling, roughing the punter on 4th and 22 when RO punting from inside their 5 yd. line, not having enough confidence in your team to move the ball one foot in OT but rather depend on a FG kicker than had three of his kicks blocked, so go up and make it look like you are going to go for it and maybe get an offside call or at very least kick the fg five yards deeper with a better angle. Throwing the same slant time and time again nearly having it picked off only to do it again to have it picked off. UGH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom