From Where I Sat | Syracusefan.com

From Where I Sat

OrangeTarheel

It’s time to kick names and take ass
I was at the game yesterday, two rows off the nosebleed section. What an awesome game day atmosphere. So many jerseys and Hokie colors, great pregame events (marching band playing to the stadium, greeting the player buses, the entrance of the skydivers/flaming parachuters) in addition to the massive number of tailgates. I’ve never been to Tech before and that showed me what a great college football culture looks like. On a Thursday afternoon there were fans everywhere as early as we arrived (2pm-ish) and it just kept steadily building until by game time it looked like the stadium was near full.

It was a good day to get our @ss kicked. Not even surprised by it, tried hard to convince myself pre game we would do better but I didn’t believe it.

I’ve followed the ‘cuse since 1992. To me this game really felt different, maybe because Virginia Tech is an old Big East rival and I had those games going through my head during the day. So maybe I had our glory days too much on my mind but … I can’t recall a sorrier performance by our players and coaching staff. And at an inflection point where we could be looking at a great record and better bowl bid at the end of the season.

It was a complete Dinoball performance out there. Kicking a field goal when we are getting our butts handed to us all over the field. Taking a time out for one last possession before the end of the first half … and then running the ball. Problems at every position on the field. Players and coaches completely confused in the post game pressers about what went wrong (well, no one pointed to the coaches that’s for sure).

Seeing that loss in such an amazing college football environment felt almost like a funeral. I was able to see better where we needed to be and also where we are now. The gap seems neigh insurmountable. The Tech fans were great by the way, their pity for our predicament was as real as their excitement about where their season might head. Well, except for that one man with “‘cuse deuce” written on his back above a picture of a steaming turd, but at least it was factually correct.

I look forward to a new coach for 2024. Theres no other option. I hope it happens soon, we need some distance from Dinoball. I’ve read the discussion about Wildhack giving Dino time to prove whether he can make a bowl but anyone who saw that game yesterday knows that’s not even what’s important anymore - it’s not about making a bowl this year it’s about the future of our football program.

Thanks for reading this, if I can reduce the file size on my cuse deuce photo I’ll share that for some grim amusement

Great post.

VaTech’s game day environment strikes me as what’s possible to build when you have a long run of sustained success.

That program won 10 or more games THIRTEEN times in 17 years, from 1995-2011.

I was also at the game. Thursday night in Blacksburg has been a bucket list game for a while. Va Tech is not a great football team, and hasn’t been in a while, but wow. Everything was just on a completely different level from Syracuse. It sad to have to accept that we aren’t even trying to keep pace with the middle of the pack in the ACC. If basketball doesn’t come back to form quickly things could get very ugly with this once proud athletic department.

i think the first 2 comments are off base.. the field goal was for the team more than it was an attempt to win the game.. and the TOs were so they could attempt to get a run back not so that they could run plays after getting the ball.

did the hokie fans stick around to the finish ? this game was over at halftime.

i think the first 2 comments are off base.. the field goal was for the team more than it was an attempt to win the game.. and the TOs were so they could attempt to get a run back not so that they could run plays after getting the ball.
If I were on offense I would want Dino to go all out trying to win, leave everything on the table. We’ll have to agree to disagree about the best way to view that. And understood about the run back … but why not also roll out Shrader and lob one into the end zone? Other teams do it, it’s an accepted practice …

Maybe so, but even the announcers were calling him dumb. What would have happened if Allen got hurt. Stupid idea by a coach with zero feel for football.

I do believe you are correct in your assessments. The 2nd point is why he needs to go. Far greater chance to block the kick and even if you cream the punter it doesn’t matter. Setting up for the return and a run back defies logic imo.

If I were on offense I would want Dino to go all out trying to win, leave everything on the table. We’ll have to agree to disagree about the best way to view that. And understood about the run back … but why not also roll out Shrader and lob one into the end zone? Other teams do it, it’s an accepted practice …
the qb that cant throw 30 yds is gonna heave one 65?

I agree with the OP

Just typical Dino ball where he looks like he’s quitting on the team

Having the team laughing and “jolly” on the sidelines while getting beat with a stick into oblivion is also not acceptable to me.

A HC coach who looks like he doesn’t care that he got crushed bothers me.

Dino has checked out for Syracuse and personally I’ve felt that way the whole season

I get why they’re not firing him, yet. JW needs to keep his word for other coach candidates but we aren’t making a bowl

I was at the game yesterday, two rows off the nosebleed section. What an awesome game day atmosphere. So many jerseys and Hokie colors, great pregame events (marching band playing to the stadium, greeting the player buses, the entrance of the skydivers/flaming parachuters) in addition to the massive number of tailgates. I’ve never been to Tech before and that showed me what a great college football culture looks like. On a Thursday afternoon there were fans everywhere as early as we arrived (2pm-ish) and it just kept steadily building until by game time it looked like the stadium was near full.

It was a good day to get our @ss kicked. Not even surprised by it, tried hard to convince myself pre game we would do better but I didn’t believe it.

I’ve followed the ‘cuse since 1992. To me this game really felt different, maybe because Virginia Tech is an old Big East rival and I had those games going through my head during the day. So maybe I had our glory days too much on my mind but … I can’t recall a sorrier performance by our players and coaching staff. And at an inflection point where we could be looking at a great record and better bowl bid at the end of the season.

It was a complete Dinoball performance out there. Kicking a field goal when we are getting our butts handed to us all over the field. Taking a time out for one last possession before the end of the first half … and then running the ball. Problems at every position on the field. Players and coaches completely confused in the post game pressers about what went wrong (well, no one pointed to the coaches that’s for sure).

Seeing that loss in such an amazing college football environment felt almost like a funeral. I was able to see better where we needed to be and also where we are now. The gap seems neigh insurmountable. The Tech fans were great by the way, their pity for our predicament was as real as their excitement about where their season might head. Well, except for that one man with “‘cuse deuce” written on his back above a picture of a steaming turd, but at least it was factually correct.

I look forward to a new coach for 2024. Theres no other option. I hope it happens soon, we need some distance from Dinoball. I’ve read the discussion about Wildhack giving Dino time to prove whether he can make a bowl but anyone who saw that game yesterday knows that’s not even what’s important anymore - it’s not about making a bowl this year it’s about the future of our football program.

Thanks for reading this, if I can reduce the file size on my cuse deuce photo I’ll share that for some grim amusement

I had some VT friends going down there and they fully were expecting to lose, but, they actually enjoy the experience of going to games.

Guess they got the bonus plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom