Frost update to UCF | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Frost update to UCF

Finwad32 said:
So what? Quality guys leave, that's the danger of hiring a quality guy. That's like marrying the safe bet, because she'll never leave you. Screw that, give me the 10 and lets go on a crazy ride.

I'm ok with being a stepping stone but I bet frost is gone in a year or two. That's to quick in my eyes. That's like taking a 10 out on a date and she's grinding on every meathead on the dance floor. At least give the appearance that your my date in front of me.

Alsacs said:
Tom Herman got 1.5 million this year and had to earn his raise. We aren't going to give Frost a gamble hire established HC money. 1.8 million was fine offer. Coyle didn't want to let Frost have an easy buyout when Nebraska comes calling. I don't blame him one bit. Frost isn't a sure thing. Why would give him everything and start this over in 3 years. Thank god we didn't hire Frost.

I don't think it's that cut and dry. But I do agree with the premise. Coyle drew a line in the sand that was smart.

I want the personality of Ed Orgeron back at Syracuse. I was at Syracuse when he was a Dline coach and knew the guys he coached. The guy is an animal. He is the type of guy who breathes life into a program. Our program right now is as down as it can be. We need a human defibrillator type personality to resurrect it.
I don't. He's a retread that hasn't gotten it done as a head coach for very long anywhere he's been. Great assistant but not a head coach. I also don't want the NCAA sanctions that would follow. Get an OC of a dynamic offense or a current head coach that has coached beyond expectations at a lesser school like Virginia Tech did.

Tom Herman got 1.5 million this year and had to earn his raise. We aren't going to give Frost a gamble hire established HC money.

1.8 million was fine offer. Coyle didn't want to let Frost have an easy buyout when Nebraska comes calling. I don't blame him one bit. Frost isn't a sure thing. Why would give him everything and start this over in 3 years.

Thank god we didn't hire Frost.
If the buyout was, in fact, the issue...then I completely agree with you. Time to move on.

I don't think it's that cut and dry. But I do agree with the premise. Coyle drew a line in the sand that was smart.
How can you say that if you don't know where the line was drawn?

I'm ok with being a stepping stone but I bet frost is gone in a year or two. That's to quick in my eyes. That's like taking a 10 out on a date and she's grinding on every meathead on the dance floor. At least give the appearance that your my date in front of me.

lol that is too specific to be a hypothetical clearly!

Tom Herman got 1.5 million this year and had to earn his raise. We aren't going to give Frost a gamble hire established HC money.

1.8 million was fine offer. Coyle didn't want to let Frost have an easy buyout when Nebraska comes calling. I don't blame him one bit. Frost isn't a sure thing. Why would give him everything and start this over in 3 years.

Thank god we didn't hire Frost.

Fantastic post.

texascpa said:
No, market value is what the position is worth. Is Syracuse's HC position worth $1.8M or $2.5M? Looking at HC salaries, $1.8M still puts us at the low end of the P5 schools. Again, I am not advocating for Frost, I'm saying if he (or anyone for that matter) is the No. 1, then you must pay to get that No. 1, unless you are stating the HC position at Syracuse is not worth market value.

That's backwards.

The money wasn't an issue. First time HC aren't getting 2.5 million that would be nuts.

Herman showed this year he earned his raise to 3 million.

1.8 for a coordinator is a good offer and leaves room for raises with performance.

This seems like a buyout case. Frost wanted a cheap one. Syracuse said no and UCF said yes.

I won't hammer Coyle for that. We aren't desperate for a guy who obviously wants one foot out the door. Frost likely wanted the Boise State job for that reason. Have one good year and bolt. Harsin makes more sense for them and Coyle got that right.

From what I hear it wasn't the money. It was how quickly Frost could get out of the contract. Coyle wouldn't budge on contract length.

People thinking this was about salary by itself are simpleminded. Dollars on the front of the check is the easy part, the buyout/guaranteed money/length of deal/base salary combined is where the hard dealing takes place.

If he think Nebraska is going to open up in the next two to four years he wants the ability to get out, he doesn't want to poison pill himself and make it too expensive for Nebraska to get him.

It's not the end of the world and it's not an indictment on Coyle.

R E L A X

Eddie O lost to Notre Dame and UCLA those games cooked his ability to keep that job.

He lost to USC's 2 biggest rivals. Just say not to Eddie O.

People thinking this was about salary by itself are simpleminded. Dollars on the front of the check is the easy part, the buyout/guaranteed money/length of deal/base salary combined is where the hard dealing takes place.

If he think Nebraska is going to open up in the next two to four years he wants the ability to get out, he doesn't want to poison pill himself and make it too expensive for Nebraska to get him.

R E L A X
part of the reason i want an offensive guy is because there are lots of them, it's easy.

so i'm not gonna freak out over one of them. (well maybe a little, it's fun)

stay the course, remember what the problem is, and recognize that there are many guys who can fix it

R E L A X
That is a bull post. Simpleminded? Is there not a less obnoxious way to make your point.

Besides, everybody understands your very trite point.

And what is a little odd about that is the current USC coach was an in season replacement like EO was and went 5-2 and was hired.
USC won the Pac-12 South and beat UCLA this time. Eddie O went 5-2 beat Stanford but lost to UCLA/Notre Dame their biggest 2 rivals.

Helton is being rewarded for winning the Pac-12 South.