Frost update to UCF | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Frost update to UCF

Frost to UCF makes sense and doesn't mean we were outbid.

He recruits FL for Oregon. He can quickly turn around a winless team that probably wasn't as bad as the record (wheels fell off that bus quickly). He has recruiting advantages over every team in the league except maybe Houston.

More than any other candidate, he has a known goal and needs a resume building stepping stone job to get there. UCF is perfect. His dream job already knows his name well so they're already paying attention

When I first heard it I was surprised. The more I think about it, it makes perfect sense. It's not a Kansas level winless rebuild. I doubt we were outbid and it doesn't make sense for us to overpay.

Absolutely this -- Frost has an end-game in mind. It will be a lot easier turning UCF into a 9/10 win team to reach his ultimate goal of Nebraska than it will be turning Syracuse into a 9/10 win team to reach that same goal.

it sounds like Frost is going to UCF, but just a few days ago, weren't there reports that Babers to UCF was a done deal?

If so, then Coyle is a fool.

Why, do you know what the issues were?

It's easy to cut deals with other peoples money and not having any risk.

Awfully presumptuous of you.

1407444283-dawson-crying.gif

Absolutely this -- Frost has an end-game in mind. It will be a lot easier turning UCF into a 9/10 win team to reach his ultimate goal of Nebraska than it will be turning Syracuse into a 9/10 win team to reach that same goal.
he doesnt' even need to do that. all he needs to show at UCF is that he's not a total disaster. nebraska just hired an old outsider who went 5-7.

I agree. Plenty of other offensive coaches. I NEVER LIKED OREGON'S OFFENSE ANYWAY.

Now go get a Baylor assistant. If you're not named Briles, you're not getting that job for the next 20 years, Coyle doesn't have to worry about contracts.

There's a guy out there with a year of HC under his belt making $700K.

Why, do you know what the issues were?

It's easy to cut deals with other peoples money and not having any risk.

Awfully presumptuous of you.
I said "if so".

How can you say that if you don't know where the line was drawn?

Going on the rumor that it has to do with the buyout or contract terms. He drew a line that made it harder for him to leave than USF did.

Unless you have a close second, yes! Look what VT did. They went after their guy and put their money on the table.

The big time football world is passing us by. We need to wake up and smell the money.

They paid a premium for a known quantity.

You willing to underwrite overpaying?

Te bar is pretty low at Syracuse as well. Turning around a P5 team is a better accomplishment.

You may not be. We had the inside track and negotiations fell apart on contract rems. Agreements get done because they meet both pares interests. If Frost had a hang up on buyout we should have been able to resolve it even if it meant less than our ideal.

We left the barn door open.

What if he wanted 12 for 5 guaranteed and a $500K buyout starting in year two, you going to sign up for that?

What if he wanted 12 for 5 guaranteed and a $500K buyout starting in year two, you going to sign up for that?
Now, you are making silly hypothetical questions. Look, let's just agree to disagree. We rarely, if ever, agree on anything anyway.

Crusty said:
How so?

You don't pay a HC what you think the position is worth at SU. You pay the HC what they are worth. So we should have given Shafer $2.5m - $3m? What we think the position is worth at SU and what we can afford opens the aperture for candidates. But it doesn't set the pay for a specific coach.

Good move by Frost. I'd have done the same thing, unless maybe if Syracuse was offering a lot more $$$, which seems unlikely.

Go to a program in a talent rich state, in a very winnable conference, with strong recent success. There's talent there and it will be a lot easier to bring talent in. If he's the real deal, UCF will be a good team next year and a potential top 15 over the next 2-3. It's probably a lot easier to bring in the athletes needed for an Oregon type offense in Florida than it is to pull them out of Florida and bring to Syracuse.

Exactly why we needed to step up to the plate and hire him. We need an ACC level coach, who can pull off ACC level recruiting. That is not going to come cheap.

Understanding that the process is not done, I'm already concerned that if we're going to settle for someone who might "develop" on the fly (like 90% of our players), what's the point?

I'm purposely staying on the outside of this process ... because I think we should have kept the current staff and spent $1M on an ace recruiter. I just hope our record on the coaching carousel doesn't wind up looking like our conference record.

Last edited:
That's backwards.

I hire people and am given a budget per position. The budget is based on what the company believes the position is worth. I have room to negotiate within the budget. I've had to pass on what I believe were very good people because they demanded more than the position is worth. It's not backwards, it's business.

If the SU administration deems the HC position to be worth only $1.8M as has been indicated by Bailey, then the school is not willing to play big boy ball.

i feel better today. not hiring frost because he's going to bolt in a year is very different from not hiring frost because you want a meathead instead. now don't panic coyle

Concur. Hopefully Ash rumor was just to put some pressure on Frost. (I'm sure they like Ash fine - but I still think Coyle has the problem diagnosed correctly. Offense)

Makes no sense at all, whatsoever, that UCF would take him if is just going to bail in a year or two. I mean think about it.

Oh well, if that's all he wanted in the first place was a stepping stone, good riddance.

Let's shut this thread down.

Personalities don't win games. Orgeron has never been a coordinator and has failed as a head coach twice at power conference schools. He got his chance. If he can't win with the resources of USC and Ole Miss then he's not going to turn around a program that hasn't sniffed the Top 25 in a decade and a half.

He didn't fail at USC he went 7-2.

He didn't get the job because Haden didn't think he was "LA" enough for the job.

Makes no sense at all, whatsoever, that UCF would take him if is just going to bail in a year or two. I mean think about it.

Oh well, if that's all he wanted in the first place was a stepping stone, good riddance.

Let's shut this thread down.

UCF can afford to gamble a bit. Stakes are a bit lower, I think.