Frost update to UCF | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Frost update to UCF

From what I hear it wasn't the money. It was how quickly Frost could get out of the contract. Coyle wouldn't budge on contract length.

This was my immediate thought. If Frost's ultimate landing place is Nebraska, he probably went with whichever contract is easier to get out of. Makes sense to me.

From what I hear it wasn't the money. It was how quickly Frost could get out of the contract. Coyle wouldn't budge on contract length.

Then I am 100% fine with this. It's fairly clear he's trying to get a stepping stone rebuilding job for the short term. We can do better than that, and it means Coyle is serious about a long term plan.

Frost to UCF makes sense and doesn't mean we were outbid.

He recruits FL for Oregon. He can quickly turn around a winless team that probably wasn't as bad as the record (wheels fell off that bus quickly). He has recruiting advantages over every team in the league except maybe Houston.

More than any other candidate, he has a known goal and needs a resume building stepping stone job to get there. UCF is perfect. His dream job already knows his name well so they're already paying attention

When I first heard it I was surprised. The more I think about it, it makes perfect sense. It's not a Kansas level winless rebuild. I doubt we were outbid and it doesn't make sense for us to overpay.
i'm not crazed for coaching stability but I think this shows that frost has his eyes on a monster job in 2017 or 2018. there are lots of guys who can fix an offense who'd stay 3 or 4 years, not too much to ask.

hopefully coyle doesn't freak out and say omg we need stability I know i'll hire my no name friend, he'll never leave

Good move by Frost. He wants to be Nebraska's head coach, and it looks like that job could be available as early as next year. UCF is easier to win 6+ games in a one-year audition than Syracuse. Makes a ton of sense.

It doesn't mean we were not either. Based on history that is the probable answer.

Overpay? OVERPAY? Just pay the market value, which we never seem to do - we are always impressed with ourselves for offering 80-90% of market value.

If they will pay 2.5, should we pay 3? He's never been a head coach.

Nate Mink said in a comment to a story was that SU'S top dollar amount WAS $1.8 MILLION
Honestly 1.8 for a first time HC isn't bad. I would give 2.5 to more established HC prospect.

I am not going to say 1.8 is cheap. Jekelish is saying it was a buyout decision. SU probably wanted a higher buyout and Frost didn't want to commit to that. Which means Frost was only going to use for 2-3 years and bolt after the first good year.

jekelish said:

That would make sense. I think he wants the Nebraska job and couldn't get it without HC experience.

Coyle knows this - because everyone in Nebraska and Frost has been pretty transparent.

They wanted to fire Riley after one year for Frost.

If that's true, then I have been vindicated. That is simply too low in today's market.

I have no clue to that being true other than he posted tht as a comment to a question in one of his artcles,saw it last night and it was buried at at the bottom of one

i'm not crazed for coaching stability but I think this shows that frost has his eyes on a monster job in 2017 or 2018. there are lots of guys who can fix an offense who'd stay 3 or 4 years, not too much to ask.

hopefully coyle doesn't freak out and say omg we need stability I know i'll hire my no name friend, he'll never leave

I don't mind being a stepping stone but I'm looking at this one from the stepping stoner's eyes. If you're Frost, it's a quicker fix at UCF and a better story because it's starting at zero wins.

Guys, remember, everyone and I mean everyone during the season wanted a guy who has been a HC before, can recruit and gets Syracuse. The amnesia towards these requirements chasing Scott Frost is out of control.

Go get Orgeron and be done with this. He satisfies all the boxes and actually puts the southerners on notice that SU has a good ole boy recruiting in the big leagues. Why is this obvious to me and no one else. Is Orgeron that damaged? I mean Clay Helton was just hired at USC. He's the Orgeron decision if Haden was smart before hiring Sark.

He does not check all the boxes. The team takes on the personality of the coach. The strategies are based on the HC's vision.

Give me Babers. Offense that is fun and he's been an HC.

stupid question but if Frost was our number one get, didn't we kinda know the buyout issue was going to be there regardless? I'm not loving how Coyle got publically played here on something that back channels could have resolved early on. Frost used us to get to somewhere that worked for his Nebraska dream. Bush league if you ask me.

I don't mind being a stepping stone but I'm looking at this one from the stepping stoner's eyes. If you're Frost, it's a quicker fix at UCF and a better story because it's starting at zero wins.
I agree. Plenty of other offensive coaches. I NEVER LIKED OREGON'S OFFENSE ANYWAY.

Now go get a Baylor assistant. If you're not named Briles, you're not getting that job for the next 20 years, Coyle doesn't have to worry about contracts.

If they will pay 2.5, should we pay 3? He's never been a head coach.
Unless you have a close second, yes! Look what VT did. They went after their guy and put their money on the table.

The big time football world is passing us by. We need to wake up and smell the money.

If it came down to terms and when frost could bail, I am happy our AD played hardball with a guy with his eye clearly on bigger and better things. I may be disappointed in the end but at least the AD did not get played.
We need stability right now,not stepping stones

I agree. Plenty of other offensive coaches. I NEVER LIKED OREGON'S OFFENSE ANYWAY.

Now go get a Baylor assistant. If you're not named Briles, you're not getting that job for the next 20 years, Coyle doesn't have to worry about contracts.

Yep. More guys out there than there are UCF stepping stone opportunities. Actually UCF is one of a kind.

Well, we should see soon. If he got less than $2/yr and 5 years, I will flip my lid. It will certainly mean we are not serious.
Maybe he wasn't enamored with the idea of playing his entire first season on the road.

He does not check all the boxes. The team takes on the personality of the coach. The strategies are based on the HC's vision.

Give me Babers. Offense that is fun and he's been an HC.

I want the personality of Ed Orgeron back at Syracuse. I was at Syracuse when he was a Dline coach and knew the guys he coached. The guy is an animal. He is the type of guy who breathes life into a program. Our program right now is as down as it can be. We need a human defibrillator type personality to resurrect it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom