Frost update to UCF | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Frost update to UCF

Good move by Frost. I'd have done the same thing, unless maybe if Syracuse was offering a lot more $$$, which seems unlikely.

Go to a program in a talent rich state, in a very winnable conference, with strong recent success. There's talent there and it will be a lot easier to bring talent in. If he's the real deal, UCF will be a good team next year and a potential top 15 over the next 2-3. It's probably a lot easier to bring in the athletes needed for an Oregon type offense in Florida than it is to pull them out of Florida and bring to Syracuse.

I'm sure that Frost was legitimately interested, and the pre-existing relationship with Coyle was a plus in our favor. Then, he visited and saw that our facilities were significantly less than the state of the art stuff he's accustomed to at Oregon, learned that we might be playing a future season away from home due to Dome rennovations, and looked at our schedule and realized that we are on the same side of the division as FSU and Clemson, which are basically two guaranteed losses.

Factor in that he probably has aspirations to get to Nebraska as soon as possible, I'm not surprised that he decided to go elsewhere as opposed to committing to a 5-6 year rebuild here.

You don't pay a HC what you think the position is worth at SU. You pay the HC what they are worth. So we should have given Shafer $2.5m - $3m? What we think the position is worth at SU and what we can afford opens the aperture for candidates. But it doesn't set the pay for a specific coach.

The problem has been "What we think the position is worth at SU..." The question is what do we have to pay at SU to get a coach that can win in the ACC. What we think doesn't matter if it is below the market. Of course, if winning is not that important, it does nt matter. That may be the problem.

Frost and his worth aren't this issue imo. The issue is, and has been for the past 3 weeks that if you're going to make the decision Coyle made, you better be able to handle your business. Every day that goes by is a day that Syracuse is in a worse position for finding their next HC.

In the background you've got players talking mass exodus, you've got recruits blowing in the wind, a former staff that can't get an email back from the AD all while nobody knows anything. I understand that can be a strength in negotiation, but, Coyle should have had his guy and then went and got him.

I'm not going to say strike 1 yet because it can't be said without a shadow of a doubt that Frost was the #1. Although I've got absolutely no reason to believe otherwise. I started hearing his name in mid-October. But, that doesn't matter, he gone.

Be decisive, go get your guy, and get him now.

well if it is true, which it seems to be so, the rest of the chips should fall today right? Coyle will announce that they hired Ash which would send the board into meltdown or he will pull a rabbit out of his hat that no one expected.

Its fairly clear thats peoples expectations are way off on this. Let it play out.

He didn't fail at USC he went 7-2.

He didn't get the job because Haden didn't think he was "LA" enough for the job.
haden is terrible and the situation makes it impossible to really fail

sarkisian, who wasn't that good at UW, was on the sideline of a game where they slaughtered ASU.

i can't believe we hired the assistant to the regional manager of a school so blessed that everything turns out fine no matter how stupid they are

of course, that also reduces how much i care about orgeron's decent record there.

Last edited:
I never liked this guy. Not even a little as far as im concerned he is like the rb or QB from a system powerhouse that throws for a ton of yards or runs for a slew and gets to the NFL and is a bust. Yes he has done well and yes he has been under some great coaches but he has had talent both in players and in other assistant and head coaches that i believe have made him what he is. I never saw him being able to put together the right staff at SU. I was never sold on him and if he was in fact our first choice i would be a little concerned. Either way i would support him if he was our pick but im glad it looks like we are moving on without him.

I'm sure that Frost was legitimately interested, and the pre-existing relationship with Coyle was a plus in our favor. Then, he visited and saw that our facilities were significantly less than the state of the art stuff he's accustomed to at Oregon, learned that we might be playing a future season away from home due to Dome rennovations, and looked at our schedule and realized that we are on the same side of the division as FSU and Clemson, which are basically two guaranteed losses.

Factor in that he probably has aspirations to get to Nebraska as soon as possible, I'm not surprised that he decided to go elsewhere as opposed to committing to a 5-6 year rebuild here.
Our facilities worse than Oregon? Yes, as are most of the other teams' in the country.

Are our facilities that much behind our peers? Not anymore. There's been alot of upgrade over the past 5 years with huge renovations coming to the crown jewel in short order.

texascpa said:
I hire people and am given a budget per position. The budget is based on what the company believes the position is worth. I have room to negotiate within the budget. I've had to pass on what I believe were very good people because they demanded more than the position is worth. It's not backwards, it's business. If the SU administration deems the HC position to be worth only $1.8M as has been indicated by Bailey, then the school is not willing to play big boy ball.

And I do the same thing. Your budget is based in the worth of the position but if you're bringing someone in with little experience and market value for the position and paying them that budgeted amount, you're doing bad business.

My first job out of training was based on average annual salary for that position. That it was my first job had no bearing. Just sayin.

Going after Ash makes no sense if I'm Coyle. It seems like a panic move after losing frost.

He didn't fail at USC he went 7-2.

He didn't get the job because Haden didn't think he was "LA" enough for the job.
This makes me like him more. But do you remember his circumstances at the time of his hire at SU as an assistant way back?

I'm sure the school will take your wire at anytime.

Do I get the finders fee?
Yes, they will they do everynyear. How about you?

Our facilities worse than Oregon? Yes, as are most of the other teams' in the country.

Are our facilities that much behind our peers? Not anymore. There's been alot of upgrade over the past 5 years with huge renovations coming to the crown jewel in short order.

It isn't a criticism, it is a statement of fact. And I'm sure that factored into the big picture considerations for a hot coaching prospect like Frost, who wants to land in the best situation possible for his career advancement.

And those huge renovations -- as nice as they'll be, if the rumors are true -- mean a year of disruption where the team will have to play away from home for a year. That can either be a selling point [long term] or a turnoff [short term]. If Frost was looking at this like a stepping stone, then the short term view was probably more impactful than the long term view.

This makes me like him more. But do you remember his circumstances at the time of his hire at SU as an assistant way back?

P rescued him. I think he has a soft spot for this school ever since.

It isn't a criticism, it is a statement of fact. And I'm sure that factored into the big picture considerations for a hot coaching prospect like Frost, who wants to land in the best situation possible for his career advancement.

And those huge renovations -- as nice as they'll be, if the rumors are true -- mean a year of disruption where the team will have to play away from home for a year. That can either be a selling point [long term] or a turnoff [short term]. If Frost was looking at this like a stepping stone, then the short term view was probably more impactful than the long term view.
I don't disagree with anything you said in your post, other than it's a long-term play to get to Nebraska. It may be a goal of his down the road, but, to think he's taking one job over another to strengthen his position for a future job with Nebraska isn't realistic.

I was just saying that our facilities are more on par with the rest of the country than Oregon's. He's not going to find those facilities anywhere outside of maybe 2-3 schools.

It's not worth getting mad at SU yet until we find out the circumstances. If they truly dropped the ball there will be years to b!tch and moan about it.

And lots of great coaches didn't get their respective job's first offer. So let's not abandon ship just yet.

Yes, they will they do everynyear. How about you?

I'm no master of the universe.

But the question was, are you going to underwrite overpaying?

I don't disagree with anything you said in your post, other than it's a long-term play to get to Nebraska. It may be a goal of his down the road, but, to think he's taking one job over another to strengthen his position for a future job with Nebraska isn't realistic.

I was just saying that our facilities are more on par with the rest of the country than Oregon's. He's not going to find those facilities anywhere outside of maybe 2-3 schools.

Why isn't it realistic? That job might open up as early as next season.

And maybe he doesn't eventually end up at Nebraska--I'm sure that a kid like Frost with no ties to the NE has his sights set higher than a mid-tier P5 program.

I understood what you meant about the facilities, but let's be honest--for a guy accustomed to more, it could be a factor in his decision making. Maybe he doesn't want to have to wait 3-4 years for the Dome rennovations and facilities to be upgraded. Especially if he plans on being a short timer at his next job. That's all I was saying.

Crusty said:
The problem has been "What we think the position is worth at SU..." The question is what do we have to pay at SU to get a coach that can win in the ACC. What we think doesn't matter if it is below the market. Of course, if winning is not that important, it does nt matter. That may be the problem.

7 years ago we offered 2 different coaches $2m. So I'm sure we know what the position is worth. That doesn't mean every coach we offer gets that amount.