FSU Attendance | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

FSU Attendance

Probably the wrong thread for this discussion and people are very sensitive to this topic but I can see him still being there into the 4th round. I don’t think more than 1 or 2 RB’s will be drafted in the first round. Then with his season (for right or wrong) and questions about pass catching plus blocking ability I don’t see him in the first 3 rounds. But who knows with these things. It only takes one team to really love him and draft him high. And it only takes a whole league to only look at this season as an indication he’s not a top guy.

Agreed

I think he’s a 6th, 7th or UDFA

Not that he doesn’t have talent but RBs aren’t valued any longer

Agreed

I think he’s a 6th, 7th or UDFA

Not that he doesn’t have talent but RBs aren’t valued any longer

Exactly, there’s that factor too. Teams know they can get quality at that position in later rounds.

Not sure on undecideds…how many do we even have?
We have 14 seniors or red shirt juniors on scholarship this year, but due to the covid bonus year only seven will exhaust their eligibility and one of those is Chris Elmore who could conceivably petition for an additional year. We list only four others as true juniors with Jones and Bergeron the two who could decide to leave early. So lots of uncertainty and I think we might be able to glean more from who DOESN'T walk than who does. I think Servais and possibly one or two others took the walk byt decided to come back for their final year.

Gun to my head I expect to see Szmyt, Davis, Tisdale, Coley, Bolinsky, Hayes, Cooper, Elmore, Bleich, Queeley, Bergeron and Jones to take a lap.

Out of eligibility:
Devaughn Cooper
CJ Hayes
Eric Coley
Aaron Bolinsky
Darius Tisdale
Dakota Davis
Andre Szmyt

On pace to graduate with eligibility left:
Mikel Jones
Garrett Shrader
Jason Simmons, Jr
Anthony Queeley
Isaiah Johnson
Kevon Darton
Anthony Red
Carlos Vettorello
Matthew Bergeron
Chris Bleich
Mark Petry
Jakob Bradford
Isaiah Jones
D’Marcus Adams
Caleb Okechukwu

10 year plan:
Chris Elmore

My guess is 11 of that list is the minimum but I expect it to be as high 20. I don't see any reason why we won't have a good sized recruiting class and a few portal pickups.

Gun to my head I expect to see Szmyt, Davis, Tisdale, Coley, Bolinsky, Hayes, Cooper, Elmore, Bleich, Queeley, Bergeron and Jones to take a lap.
I just had a great idea. We need someone to stop Mikel, Tucker, and Bergeron from taking their Senior Walk. If they miss the walk, they have to come back next year. Sounds like a job for Otto's Army.

I was 8 years old. It was chilly and I ate a hot dog.
I don't recall the temperature but I do recall it being a sunny day and the Orange settling for a tie when our kicker, Earle Baugher, missed the game winning PAT.

Oh i get it. I'm just wondering how much his stock will be impacted.

That said, I still dont get why Neal wasnt drafted so I cant read this stuff at all.
Neal didn't break tackles or make people miss. He had good speed if given space. That's not enough.

My first game was 1968
Syracuse beat Pitt 50-17
I think Tommy Meyers had a pick
My memory was seeing the Orange helmets come pouring out of the tunnel and being instantly hooked. I was 7 . I would beg my parents every game to go to no avail usually.
At age 12 ish I got a single season ticket for 35.00 . My mother would drop me off in front of campus and pick me up after. I would go alone. I was a weird kid. Did a quick fact check , was not Tommy. My other info is correct.

Last edited:
I just had a great idea. We need someone to stop Mikel, Tucker, and Bergeron from taking their Senior Walk. If they miss the walk, they have to come back next year. Sounds like a job for Otto's Army.
I couldn’t reply to a thread because it was closed but it was about Sean. Since his name is mentioned here, I’ll post it here.

My post was about Sean returning to SU for another year. Although I think he should pursue the NFL, I posted that he had that option. So, the text was about that. It was simply an opinion that he could make if he chose to, an option. The way Sean gets hurt I'll be surprised, if when he plays, he isn't hurt immediately. With his speed at SU, he's avoided bad hits until this year.

The poster was suggesting that he not hurt his body further here and go to the NFL for the $ and that RB’s are the most likely players to get hurt on a FB team. As a walk on QB at SU who managed to beat out the starter and get a scholie, I do know the RB position is the position most likely to incur injury, be it in college or the NFL. I saw it at SU. This has developed into what a running back may endure in the NFL and still be expected to play.

As an example of what running backs may go through I included this brief story about Jerome Bettis, a Steelers running back from 1995-2005. My son, a sports anchor for NBC in Pittsburgh, used to do a pre-game show with Jerome. I used to be in studio with them, so I and my son Bill got to know him well and I included the short text below to show how hurt you can be and still play.

We have become good friends of Jerome Bettis. I know how hard he was hurt during his playing days in the NFL and how he played through the pain and how he's still paying for it after retirement.

It's all about the money, get paid and play for years if you can stay healthy but very few running backs in the NFL don't pay for it through injury and I wonder, at times, if sometimes it's worth all the money. A small portion of the text of what he went through below is from Jerome's autobiography, "The Bus: My Life In and Out of a Helmet" published by Doubleday. He played at 5' 11" 251 and ran a 4.7 40.

Bettis: 'If you can't endure pain, you can't play in the NFL'

Sep 3, 2007

• Jerome Bettis, with Gene Wojciechowski
During the Pittsburgh Steelers' 2000 season, Bettis rushed for 1,341 yards -- and did it despite playing with turf toe, a lump the size of a cue ball in his lower left leg, injured ribs and a bad left knee.

On game week I would only practice on Thursday and Friday, sometimes only on Friday.

Saturdays weren't any fun, though.

Even with the limited practice schedule, my knee would swell. So every Saturday a team doctor would come in and drain the knee. The needle was as long and thick as a No. 2 pencil. Think about that for a minute. Then the doctor would extract all sorts of pus, blood, and little pieces of cartilage.

Yeah, it hurt. Damn right it did. But if I wanted to play, that's what I had to do. Pain is part of the game. It's as much a part of the game as the crowds or the Miller Lite commercials or the TV cameras. If you can't endure pain, you can't play in the NFL.

I let USA Today's Jarrett Bell, whom I've known for a long time, use me as a centerpiece for a story he was doing on the toll an NFL season takes on your body. He saw it all. My purple ankle. My bruised butt. The red welts on my back. The scars. The scratches and gashes on my arms and legs. The torn tendons in my thumbs. The ring finger that is missing a chunk of flesh.

He saw me try to get out of bed that morning. It took forever. I told him that sometimes I couldn't walk down the stairs in my house. Instead, I had to sit on the top step and very, very slowly slide my way down on my butt.

This was the life I had chosen, so I wasn't about to complain. But I don't think the average NFL fan has any idea what it takes to play the game when you're injured. Broken ribs are one of the worst injuries. I know, because one time I broke three ribs, which is a pretty rare thing. Usually you just break one, but I had the trifecta.

You can get an X-ray to detect the breaks. But an X-ray is useless when it comes time for the doctor to inject you with the painkillers necessary to play in a game. It's not like he can look at the X-ray and connect the dots. It doesn't work that way.

No, you have to raise your arm and then he sticks a needle in there, taps on the bone with the needle point to find the exact spot of the fracture, injects the painkiller, and then removes the needle. Then he gets a new needle, inserts the needle, taps on the next rib bone, injects, and then removes. And then he gets another needle, inserts, taps, injects, removes.

And did I mention that you can't move while he's doing this? If you move, and the needle jabs too deep, he could puncture your lung.

Those painkilling shots were a necessary evil. With broken ribs, the chances of them breaking off and puncturing something were very small, so it was an acceptable risk for me. The possibility of me injuring them more was tiny.

But I would never take a painkiller in my knee or hamstrings. Those are parts of the body where you need to feel the pain. If you can't, then a sprained ligament might turn into a torn ligament.

My teammates and coaches never pressured me to take painkilling shots. But there is an unspoken understanding about playing with injuries in the NFL.

A coach and the other players need to know they can count on you. If a guy doesn't take a painkiller, he's labeled as soft. They don't know if they can truly depend on you.

Me and pain had a great relationship. We always found a way to work it out. An injury might hurt like hell, but my threshold for pain was pretty high.

I hope if Sean does play in the NFL that he remains healthy and does not have to endure the pain that Jerome did and still does to some extent.

Thank you (the poster I was replying to, anomander?) for letting me know that everyone knows, he's NFL bound. I could have never imagined.

BillSU thank you for this, quality post. I appreciate your insight. Sounds like a fascinating book too.

My first games were in 1971, I was eleven years old. My uncle took me. He is a 1969 Syracuse graduate and was ROTC while at Syracuse. He had just gotten back from Vietnam and he got tickets for the Holy Cross game, a big Syracuse win and the BC game, a 10-3 loss. I was absolutely marveled by Archbold and the sights, sounds and smells. I remember my uncle telling me that a kid from Syracuse was playing for BC. It turned out to be Orrie Scarminach from CBA. I have bled Orange ever since and owe it all to my Uncle Al. Go Orange!!!!!!

Can I call the box office for tickets to avoid the ticket master fees? The website sends you to Ticketmaster.

My first game was in 1959 and saw Ernie. I was 5 years old I don't remember who we played. If I had to guess it was the Kansas or Maryland game as I know it was still relatively warm out.

My first game was 1968
Syracuse beat Pitt 50-17
My memory was seeing the Orange helmets come pouring out of the tunnel and being instantly hooked. I was 7 . I would beg my parents every game to go to no avail usually.
At age 12 ish I got a single season ticket for 35.00 . My mother would drop me off in front of campus and pick me up after. I would go alone. I was a weird kid. Did a quick fact check , was not Tommy. My other info is correct.
That was my first game as well.

The green grass of Archbold, the orange helmets and blue jerseys.

I loved it!

That was my first game as well.

The green grass of Archbold, the orange helmets and blue jerseys.

I loved it!
My first games were in 1971, I was eleven years old. My uncle took me. He is a 1969 Syracuse graduate and was ROTC while at Syracuse. He had just gotten back from Vietnam and he got tickets for the Holy Cross game, a big Syracuse win and the BC game, a 10-3 loss. I was absolutely marveled by Archbold and the sights, sounds and smells. I remember my uncle telling me that a kid from Syracuse was playing for BC. It turned out to be Orrie Scarminach from CBA. I have bled Orange ever since and owe it all to my Uncle Al. Go Orange!
Don't forget the Pilgrim's Franks!

My first game was 1968
Syracuse beat Pitt 50-17
It was SS Cliff Ensley who had an INT that day.

Great player.

It was SS Cliff Ensley who had an INT that day.

Great player.
I had the time of my life. My parents drove me down frat row there on Walnut Park . The frats hung huge banners for the game back then. I remember one said “ kick the #%^* out of Pitt”. To a 7 year old that was the best ! Wonder when they stopped doing that. probably as Ben and the program faded.

So if a guy has a 5th year avail but hasn’t announced Dino won’t let him walk ?
Its in Homer, chapter 4, page 287 about half way down.

My first game was 1968
Syracuse beat Pitt 50-17
My Dad started taking me in 65 but the year i got hooked for life was 66 when UCLA came to town with Gary Beban at QB. I was in awe of the whole CA idea as for me it was a far away place. The next game or maybe a few games later SU played Navy and the Midshipman. Again it was magical.
My Dad taught me to
" Meet him at Lincoln " if we got separated and games almost always included a trip to the Columbus bakery, The Varsity, and of course we would bring the game section from the paper with us. Great memories which we are still building on with this season. Always sad for the last game each year. We are big Bball fans but there is nothing like a game on the Hill in the fall.

Can I call the box office for tickets to avoid the ticket master fees? The website sends you to Ticketmaster.

I don’t think so. They use the same Ticketmaster system.