FSU forms Expansion/Realignment Committee | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

FSU forms Expansion/Realignment Committee

It's just way too big and way too distant. Bad combo for a school like Miami.

Exactly, a tough place to play...not like that vast expanse of nothing they have now.

You think that's a tad small for an FBS school?

Might work for the Dolphins, though.

Texas is not going to the ACC. This is all propaganda to keep the other players off balance.

For an ACC school it's still bigger than Wake and Duke.

The old Canes had home field advantage in the Orange Bowl...don't see it in their new place. Maybe a downtown bandbox would help them out. :noidea:

------------------------

ACC may be gaining steam as potential home for Texas (Chip Brown)

No sources, only CB's speculation, and very faulty at that. If Texas has to bring Kansas, Mizzou and Baylor along for the ACC basketball, then the ACC basketball is not where it used to be. The Big 12 had 6 teams in the NCAA tourney last season, the ACC had two. The ACC was #5 in basketball last season, the Big 12 was #2.

Sounds more like a CB dream. Or, it may be that CB has to publish some nonsense to maintain his special access to UT insiders.

lets say fsu goes to the SEC...so if texas brings kansas and mizzou to the acc, im not sure where this will leave Syracuse.

all thats left is really ugly schools.

i guess at that point they could replace the dome with a really nice hoop only facility and play football at coyne v the colgates of the world.

lets say fsu goes to the SEC...so if texas brings kansas and mizzou to the acc, im not sure where this will leave Syracuse.

all thats left is really ugly schools.

i guess at that point they could replace the dome with a really nice hoop only facility and play football at coyne v the colgates of the world.

If FSU goes to the SEC, what is the draw for Texas to join the ACC? Or for that matter, why would any Big East team lok to join the ACC if FSU is gone? Ask the same question for VPI, UNC, NC State, Clemson. Once any team leaves the ACC, the ACC looses its claim that it is a stable conference, to which you add that they make much less money than everyone (the Big East is due a big raise).

This Big East raise is a myth til proven otherwise. If the ACC expands, their contract gets renegotiated. They've had a core group of members for over 50 years playing all the same sports and sharing basically similar academic missions...that's what stability is.

Then again, I am not holding my breath expecting anything to happen.

For an ACC school it's still bigger than Wake and Duke.

The old Canes had home field advantage in the Orange Bowl...don't see it in their new place. Maybe a downtown bandbox would help them out. :noidea:

One of the reasons I like about returning to my alma maters for sporting events is the ability to walk through campus again. Even if Miami moved to a downtown stadium, they would not be able to do this. Unfortunately, I do not see anyway Coral Gables would allow it due to space and traffic constraints. Of course, they allowed the basketball arean to be built on campus, so I might be wrong.

Having a stadium downtown would make it easier for students to make it the games as it would only be a metrorail trip away, as opposed metrorail/bus or just bus trip away.

This Big East raise is a myth til proven otherwise. If the ACC expands, their contract gets renegotiated. They've had a core group of members for over 50 years playing all the same sports and sharing basically similar academic missions...that's what stability is.

exactly.

and what is the counter? that the bmw is stable?? by adding baylor, iowa and kstate the bmw is better than the acc??

:eek:

exactly.

and what is the counter? that the bmw is stable?? by adding baylor, iowa and kstate the bmw is better than the acc??

If the ACC loses FSU an argument could be made it just as much on the verge of folding as a football conference as the BE is.

Then again, I am not holding my breath expecting anything to happen.

So you've already forgotten they turned down more money than the ACC makes because the Big East will get more by waiting? You also want us to believe that the ACC minus FSU is still better than the Big East? Further, you believe that the ACC will get a raise by bringing in the Big East teams that are dying to jump to the ACC, the same teams that just said to ESPN, "Thanks, but no, we'll wait and take more next year."

Of note, the ACC does not get a renegotiation for increae, Swofford already indicated this. At best, ESPN will add enough to the deal to match what each ACC school already gets for each new team. If FSU says 'goodbye', there is no ACC football. I know many on here believe that VPI is carrying the ACC but in reality, no one outside the ACC and ESPN believe this. I have lived in ACC, SEC, B1G 10 and now live in Big 12 territory. Nobody respects VPI. Everyone is confident that VPI in the SEC or B1G 10 or Big 12 gets beaten week in and week out. They were only strong in the Big East when Miami, Syracuse and WVU were down.

exactly.

Actually, if teh ACC loses FSU, the ACC is ripe to be raided. The Big East and the B1G 10 would be happy with many of the targets. I agree that Baylor, K State and Iowa State (Iowa id B1G 10 and going nowhere) are not going to save any conference. They are fodder/filler. I would prefer UCF or Houston (based on potential) before the the Big 12 leftovers.

If the ACC loses FSU an argument could be made it just as much on the verge of folding as a football conference as the BE is.

ok, go ahead and make it.

it will still have the same 8 it always had. bc isnt going anywhere so thats 9. and in this scenario, vpi is still the league. as well as a watered down miami, who could still rise again.

i anxiously await your reason as to why the acc would be folding without fsu.

ok, go ahead and make it.

it will still have the same 8 it always had. bc isnt going anywhere so thats 9. and in this scenario, vpi is still the league. as well as a watered down miami, who could still rise again.

i anxiously await your reason as to why the acc would be folding without fsu.

You just made it. The league standard bearers become BC, VPI and a watered down Miami. VPI is the only one even worth talking about. The rest of the league is garbage in the football category. The only thing the ACC has going for it if FSU bails is VPI and the history of its name. Forgive me for not being overwhelmed with that.

"Of note, the ACC does not get a renegotiation for increae, Swofford already indicated this."

Is that true? That is a big deal if true. That alone makes the ACC vulnerable, tradition is nice, but FSU, BC, Miami, and VPI clearly aren't there for the tradition, they are there for the money. Once every other BCS league is dwarfing the ACC's take (and they soon will be), that will change things real quick.

Actually, if teh ACC loses FSU, the ACC is ripe to be raided. The Big East and the B1G 10 would be happy with many of the targets. I agree that Baylor, K State and Iowa State (Iowa id B1G 10 and going nowhere) are not going to save any conference. They are fodder/filler. I would prefer UCF or Houston (based on potential) before the the Big 12 leftovers.

If anyone gets raided I could see the Big Ten making a move on Maryland.

You just made it. The league standard bearers become BC, VPI and a watered down Miami. VPI is the only one even worth talking about. The rest of the league is garbage in the football category. The only thing the ACC has going for it if FSU bails is VPI and the history of its name. Forgive me for not being overwhelmed with that.

If those schools are "garbage" what does that make Cincy, Rutgers, Yukon?

The ACC is loaded with middle of the pack type schools, but they fill up their stadiums, have a generational fan base, and aren't hurting on any level. Should they worry about the Big 10 making eyes at Maryland, or maybe VT to the SEC? Sure, those schools would leave for more money too (but Maryland would be an outlier and VT would be with their peoples),

If those schools are "garbage" what does that make Cincy, Rutgers, Yukon?

That is exactly the point. You are exchanging one set of middle of the pack (or less) teams for another. It really isn't an upgrade. People keep talking about the ACC like it is the promised land when in reality they are in the same boat the BE is. Even more so if FSU or VPI leaves.

OK - I'll disagree but whatever...the Big East is a hybrid conference...what's the endgame to make it viable?

OK - I'll disagree but whatever...the Big East is a hybrid conference...what's the endgame to make it viable?

I can certainly understand the issue with the hybrid conference and wanting to resolve it but lets not act like what is potentially left in the ACC should FSU and maybe even VPI depart for the SEC is somehow superior to the teams we currently have. Both leagues are full of middle of the road type programs.

I clearly think for a private school / hoop first place like SU the competition level of the ACC would be fine for us. Being #16 in the B1G isn't something that would be helpful to us on the playing field.

I agree that Baylor, K State and Iowa State (Iowa id B1G 10 and going nowhere) are not going to save any conference. They are fodder/filler. I would prefer UCF or Houston (based on potential) before the the Big 12 leftovers.

Great, then the Big East would have the distinction of not only being the sole BCS conference with a directional school, but would have two directional schools. That being said, I agree with Baylor. I do not think a small private school in Waco brings anything to the table for the BE. I would be more interested in Iowas State and Kansas State (as well as Missouri and Kansas if available). They come from a BCS conference, so should have a higher Q rating than schools, not named TCU and Boise State, in a mid-major conference . People have probably even watched a game in which they played. Granted, it may have been to watch Oklahoma or Texas, but they did watch.

Much has been made in this forum about the markets in which the BE has schools. Admittedly, I do not know anything about advertising or how media outlets value content, but I am not sure whether bringing in Houston and/or Orlando markets matters to ESPN, Fox, etc. Rutgers, SU, UConn were discussed as potential B1G targets because of the number of televisions in the markets/states the schools were located for one reason: the B1G wanted to force the cable television companies to place the BTN on the first tier of channels and receive a higher payment per television. This increase would occur, therefore, regardless of whether any of these channels were actually tuned to the BTN.

As Fox, ESPN, NBC are largely already on the first tier for cable providers, adding markets does not automatically increase revenues. Instead, these networks revenue is based on advertising. If everyone in Houston is watching Texas A&M or Texas and everyone in Orlando is watching UF and FSU, the network cannot demand a higher advertising rate because it is showing a Houston or UCF game. So, the BE would be better off adding known teams that create interest as opposed to markets. Do I think KSU and ISU create a lot of interest, probably not, but I do think they create more interest than Houston and UCF. . . . and yes, I do realize this analysis makes no sense when considering B1G's addition of Nebraska last year.