FSU hires Willie Taggart | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

FSU hires Willie Taggart

One thing that becomes very evident is the college football hierarchy...with all the turnover and coaches jumping ship it's gotten crazy. With good coaches being fired, there is ZERO reason why a coach would sit tight, he may be fired the next year, Get the $$ while you can

Oregon will most likely poach the Cal coach or the boise guy and then they will poach someone else, crazy

Is Taggart bringing Rosewood with him to Tallahassee?

gal-beverly-cast-jpg.jpg

(Sorry, every time I read Taggart I think of Beverly Hills Cop)

I guess all that 5 star hotel stuff at Oregon didn't outrank all the recruits available in Florida.

Fsu is an elite job, plenty of big named coaches would have been interested.

OK. Taggert is a pretty damn good coach. Pretty good track record in all aspects. That said, I am sure FSU inquired with a few " big named coaches and came up empty. Taggert is a solid hire.

I guess all that 5 star hotel stuff at Oregon didn't outrank all the recruits available in Florida.

he did have am excellent class this year at UO lined up, their best ever actually on paper

Fsu is an elite job, plenty of big named coaches would have been interested.

This was not a good hire from an SU-centric position. FSU will now run a spread, no huddle, up tempo offense, making SU less unique in the ACC. Taggert is well connected in Fla and will bring in 4 and 5 star Florida athletes to run that offense. It's also likely he will be able to keep a lot of the commits that FSU already has (he was able to be that Oregon after taking over in December).

Good hire for FSU.

OK. Taggert is a pretty damn good coach. Pretty good track record in all aspects. That said, I am sure FSU inquired with a few " big named coaches and came up empty. Taggert is a solid hire.

He did a great job at Wku and Usf, 7-5 in his first year at a big time program, Fsu is a blue blood, could have done better.

Leavitt was solid at USF. Those two will tear up FL recruiting.

I’m lookin forward to Jimbo’s Aggies vs. Sgt. Taggart’s Noles. Have to imagine that’ll be a New Years Day bowl game in the next few years (if not in the CFP).

Lou_C what say you?

FSU struggling this year shows you its not all about coaching but about talent for some of these guys.. Jimbo full of 4-5 stars struggled losing a decent, not great QB, with talent all over the field. He isnt an elite coach who does more, he does less with more and expect the same in the SEC.

Nothing against Taggert, they could have done a lot better.
They hit a home run.
Taggert started at Western Kentucky and won.
Rebuild and won at USF.
Was bringing a great recruiting class to Oregon.
Don’t think having an African-American HC at Florida State won’t be a huge help.
Taggert at FSU will clean up recruiting in Florida and he is disciple of Jack Harbaugh the father of Jim and John.

Florida State did well.

This is a great hire for FSU, they will be right back on top of the division with Clemson.

He did a great job at Wku and Usf, 7-5 in his first year at a big time program, Fsu is a blue blood, could have done better.

Oregon was 4-8 last year as well and he brought in ether best recruiting class ever sure I can think of any other big name coach that fit FSU better than Taggart or who would leave another big program for the job. It is a big time program and to me they got the guy they wanted. Don’t think there is a coach out there bigger than taggert who is as good a fit there they could have hired.

Wow, I think this is an insanely good hire.

I think a lot of people skepticism might be that he only has one season at a Power 5 school and also that his overall record isn't that great. But he also took over some programs that were in bad shape and had to rebuild them. I'm not sold he will be a grand slam, but I think he's a better hire than my original impression.

FSU struggling this year shows you its not all about coaching but about talent for some of these guys.. Jimbo full of 4-5 stars struggled losing a decent, not great QB, with talent all over the field. He isnt an elite coach who does more, he does less with more and expect the same in the SEC.

Great insights into why FSU collapsed this year. Forgot they had 3 weeks between their 1st and 2nd games.

From title dreams to Jimbo's departure: A lost season at Florida State

I get why Taggert would want the FSU job. I feel FSU won't do better than Taggert in recruiting. He's shown he can turn around bad programs. What he hasn't shown is that he can win championships. FSU expects him to win the ACC title. At Oregon he played 3 good teams, they lost all three: WSU 33 - 10, Stanford 49 - 7, Washington 38-3. Granted, he was without his star QB for those games and it's his first year, but these scores aren't remotely competitive and Oregon has talent all over the field. What's going to happen when he's in a conference where most of the schedule is against teams with really good to great talent? Will he win or will this be like the Al Golden era at Miami, 4 star talent everywhere but never able to put it all together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom