FSU Postgame Thoughts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

FSU Postgame Thoughts

FSU's profile is similar to UNC...just less skilled.

these types of huge and athletic teams are kryptonite for this squad...have yet to show any fight vs this type of team

a lot mental errors etc though, too

this team came out FLAT ...very similar to the UNC loss imo

its weird...I expected more.

strategy was as if they havent learned anything over the past 10 games...disappointing

but just dont have the bodies in the frontcourt

This one's not that complicated. Our three-point shooting regressed hard, we biffed a ton of free throws and Red had to manage foul trouble from guys who don't typically foul much and run a few lineups that had barely played together.

Copeland’s two quickies really threw off the vibe.

Last edited:
Idk who’s fault, but that was gross. FSU looked like a tall JV team. Worst game I’ve watched in a long time. This team just shot itself in the foot. The pattern of giving up is unreal.

It can be demoralizing when nobody on your team can make a shot. I've played pickup games where that happens. It drains you mentally.

Team has zero poise. Last game was clearly a fluke versus a reversal of style. Can’t do anything once they get down and fold. Soft
...I would not go there so quickly. At least for right now I want to believe this game was the fluke

I expected more tonight. A lot more. Effort wasn’t there. Fundamentals (Turnovers, FT’s, back court violations, stepping over the line on inbounds plays, etc.) were poor. Need to be better. Or you gonna continue to get a sparse crowd like tonight.
Agree. A lot of that is inexcusable.

7 total assists after looking like the Harlem Globetrotters last game.

I had to put the kids to bed so I missed 80% of the game but to me it seems like this was more on the players, no?
...yes the players but there is only so much Red can do with the players we have. We need to bring in a few more next year and turn over a few of our current players. Hard to push buttons when there is no one to plug the hole!!

What we want to do on offense FSU is built to stop. They are a bigger and more athletic version of us. Throw in the coaching experience difference and the result isn’t surprising.

This team will have games like this. They aren’t tough enough yet. We need to remember we have 9 sophomores and a first year HC.

I think the big danger is thst players now perceive Syracuse as a mediocre, middle of the road program. It’s been that way for a few seasons now.

Fran Brown has created a paradigm shift for the football program. Can Red create excitement around basketball?

Red’s legacy will be cemented on the recruiting trail. Can he convince the top players from both HS and the portal to want to come to Cuse?

Next year’s class is a good start, but not enough. I’d like to know that we have a couple of others dying to play in the Dome. That would bode well for the future.

Until we see what materializes, it’s too early to predict. I think this season is what one should’ve expected. If anything, Red is doing a nice job. What I fear, however, is that he isn’t shifting any paradigms. Excitement seems to be a little lacking for some reason. For that reason, I fear being stuck with the dreaded “mediocre program” label.

I was excited about Miami because I thought that might be the catalyst needed to get the ball rolling and then this clunker tonight….

I think how you view this depends on your expectations for this team.

Mine have been and are that it might make a good run in the NIT.

I know that won’t be popular. But it’s the realistic view.

And Bell and Taylor …

too many part time players.
Bell and Taylor need to start the game on the bench, try something different. This team seldom gets off to a fast start.
You have 2 starters who if they aren't hitting 3's bring nothing to the game.
Start Judah, JJ, Brown, Copeland, and Benny. Let Bell and Taylor come in later, and if they can score let them play.

...yes the players but there is only so much Red can do with the players we have. We need to bring in a few more next year and turn over a few of our current players. Hard to push buttons when there is no one to plug the hole!!
I disagree. Before you bring in new players, what is the strategy for offense and defense? When you figure that out, then go get the players to fit what you are trying to do and they don't have to be top 50 players (although it helps) to make it work.

Bell and Taylor need to start the game on the bench, try something different. This team seldom gets off to a fast start.
You have 2 starters who if they aren't hitting 3's bring nothing to the game.
Start Judah, JJ, Brown, Copeland, and Benny. Let Bell and Taylor come in later, and if they can score let them play.
When has Taylor hit 3's? I know every once in a while but not enough to even say he is out there to shoot 3's.

Let's get a center.

Let's get a real point guard.

Let's get a couple better guards.

Let's get enough quality to have a bench that is capable.

Let's say thanks and goodbye to the players that have tried hard and are not good enough to play in a P5 conference.

Last edited:
Ugh.. just finished watching. That got ugly in another 2nd half blowout. Too many turnovers and missed free throws. 1 for 14 from three isn't going to do it either. Oh, and we only had 7 team assists. Bad home loss.
out scored by 17 in 2nd half. Game 1/14 for threes, 15 turnovers and missed 11 freethrows. End of story

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom