FSU Postgame Thoughts | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

FSU Postgame Thoughts

And Bell and Taylor …

too many part time players.
I swear I'm not trying to pile on Taylor, but he doesn't score. There's some big time halo effect from Buddy going on with him.

The dude had 14 and 13 points the first two games of the season against crap competition, and he had 15 against Cornell and 11 against Niagara.

Against anybody of consequence, his highest scoring game of the season was... 7 points against BC. He had 6 against Pitt one time, and LSU.

Taylor is not a scorer. To a remarkable degree.

Sometimes the teams are scoring at a similar pace and the score is close for a while. Then you think to yourself that the way one of these teams is scoring is sustainable, and the other treams buckets seem like miracle shots

Let's get a center.

Let's get a couple better guards.

Let's get enough quality to have a bench that is capable .

Let's say thanks and goodbye to the players that have tried hard and are not good enough to play in a the P5.
It doesn’t happen overnight.

Unfortunately JB left us with what he left us before his firing.

Red has done a good job pivoting, but it’s a multi-year rebuild.

I think the big danger is thst players now perceive Syracuse as a mediocre, middle of the road program. It’s been that way for a few seasons now.

Fran Brown has created a paradigm shift for the football program. Can Red create excitement around basketball?

Red’s legacy will be cemented on the recruiting trail. Can he convince the top players from both HS and the portal to want to come to Cuse?

Next year’s class is a good start, but not enough. I’d like to know that we have a couple of others dying to play in the Dome. That would bode well for the future.

Until we see what materializes, it’s too early to predict. I think this season is what one should’ve expected. If anything, Red is doing a nice job. What I fear, however, is that he isn’t shifting any paradigms. Excitement seems to be a little lacking for some reason. For that reason, I fear being stuck with the dreaded “mediocre program” label.

I was excited about Miami because I thought that might be the catalyst needed to get the ball rolling and then this clunker tonight….
...hear what you are saying but let's let Fran win a game before we make him a legend!!!!

I'm wondering that too. I hate to pile on, but Justin is just bringing nothing most of the season.
...I have to agree but I do like him as a player. He is simply out of position

It doesn’t happen overnight.

Unfortunately JB left us with what he left us before his firing.

Red has done a good job pivoting, but it’s a multi-year rebuild.

Of course.

Miracles don't happen overnight, but it's also ok to call out what we need in the cupboards and what's been lacking.

...hear what you are saying but let's let Fran win a game before we make him a legend!!!!
Oh, I’m definitely not making Fran a legend. I’m not one of those. All I’m saying is that he’s made a sudden change to the program that’s palpable. Whether he wins or not is another story. If he doesn’t, the recruiting will dry up faster than lake effect snow falls.

My fear is basketball needs to somehow create buzz, which probably means winning a couple of games it shouldn’t. Otherwise, same old Cuse, only man to man??? That’s scary because players won’t be compelled to come to Cuse.

Red has done fine with what he’s been dealt, but we need more.

Let down game after a thriller three days ago.

Copeland was invisible/bad. Hasn’t happened before.

This team is an odd collection of nine sophomores and not a needed leader a la a Kueth Duany.

Horrible, immature second half. But not throwing the baby with the bath water.

I will be surprised if Red doesn’t change up the starting five next game. Taylor needs a reset

Really surprised what happened after we got up 7. Started after an and 1 when Taylor and Judah didn’t communicate well on a drive in the paint and the FSU player made a nice pass on the roll and Maliq fouled him.

Next thing I know, down 14.

Disappointing for sure. I was there and wasn’t expecting that after the lead we built.

Really surprised what happened after we got up 7. Started after an and 1 when Taylor and Judah didn’t communicate well on a drive in the paint and the FSU player made a nice pass on the roll and Maliq fouled him.

Next thing I know, down 14.

Disappointing for sure. I was there and wasn’t expecting that after the lead we built.
That is the play thst started the tanking. That and when we didn’t identify the shooter after going zone. We just let him float to the corner by himself and nail the 3.

That better not be the case. It is clear we need to make a few changes.
My guess is that brown, freeman, chance and JJ start next season. Red didn’t bring them in to not play or to send them packing after 1 season. If Judah doesn’t leave, IDK, maybe that changes. Q & Cuffe come off the bench with Moore. That’s 7. And Bell who has started every game of his SU career is 8.

Benny, whatever. Same with McLeod, but I think he gets invited to stay. So you’re looking to replace Taylor, Carey, and Hima and maybe Benny. No one of note is going to transfer in to because those roster spots are open.

I just don’t see hard changes being made.

Let's get a center.

Let's get a real point guard.

Let's get a couple better guards.

Let's get enough quality to have a bench that is capable.

Let's say thanks and goodbye to the players that have tried hard and are not good enough to play in a P5 conference.
Yes. It’s time. Saturdays win was exciting but it was over a pretty average team without their best player. Need to get better players before next year or things will get ugly and people will stop going to games (they kind of already have, but it could get worse).

We were in it and up three when Benny gave up an easy basket, missed a chippy follow-up and gave up a wide open 3 which changed the momentum but he then had one of his meltdowns and his teammates and coaches were distracted by that BS and seemed to lose focus after that.

Credit to FSU they attacked the rim all game - if this was football it would have been like a team saying we are running the ball down their throats until they stop it - we couldn’t stop it.

My guess is that brown, freeman, chance and JJ start next season. Red didn’t bring them in to not play or to send them packing after 1 season. If Judah doesn’t leave, IDK, maybe that changes. Q & Cuffe come off the bench with Moore. That’s 7. And Bell who has started every game of his SU career is 8.
AKSHOOLY Bell briefly lost his starting spot last season.

Sometimes the teams are scoring at a similar pace and the score is close for a while. Then you think to yourself that the way one of these teams is scoring is sustainable, and the other treams buckets seem like miracle shots
That is our identity
Very dated approach

Going to be a broke record -- this team is just incomplete.

Four scholarships on the center position. Justin Taylor *starting*. I can go on.

We were in this because of Judah in the first half and he ran out of gas. So did some of the other guys. It's been building because of the demand on less than a handful of players while there are other players that either shouldn't be playing or not playing as much as they do.

I'm fine with giving Red runway. Lot of guys played real hard tonight. Lot of mistakes, but that's what happens when you're carrying a mountain you're only supposed to be climbing.

Does this team have the ability to beat a top 25 team? Honestly, I don't think they do. That hurts for me. Top teams get taken down all the time in this era of college basketball. But when we have faced good teams, the second half gets ugly. I don't consider FL st or UVA " top 25" teams either.

Still not giving up on Red. Love what he is building but this year isn't going to be the breakthrough

We were in it and up three when Benny gave up an easy basket, missed a chippy follow-up and gave up a wide open 3 which changed the momentum but he then had one of his meltdowns and his teammates and coaches were distracted by that BS and seemed to lose focus after that.

Credit to FSU they attacked the rim all game - if this was football it would have been like a team saying we are running the ball down their throats until they stop it - we couldn’t stop it.
That Benny stretch and bench meltdown was incredibly disappointing. He was having a good game. This team seems way too emotional.

If red doesn’t drop Taylor from starting lineup now then he won’t all season. Time to pivot.

I'll keep beating my dead horse. We need an inside scorer to be a stabilizer when our perimeter guys go in a drought. We can't solely depend on guards to drive to the basket or hit threes. There needs to be some sort of presence in the lane that is more than a guy that can score off dump offs from the guards and offensive rebounds. If we had one guy that could post up and score to keep us from going 5-10 minutes without a bucket, we wouldn't see these runs from other teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom