FSU/Tennessee cautionary tale | Syracusefan.com

FSU/Tennessee cautionary tale

PhatOrange

Living Legend
good article. Tennessee hasn't finished in the top 20 since 2007? Who knew. Wow.

good article. Tennessee hasn't finished in the top 20 since 2007? Who knew. Wow.

Greg was a disaster, but Doug got us out. His leaving set us back again, and Scott was a mistake that put us back to square one as we entered a new conference.

I think Wildhack gets the gist of the article and is going to stick by Dino through thick and thin, and will let Dino coach another year no matter what

Greg was a disaster, but Doug got us out. His leaving set us back again, and Scott was a mistake that put us back to square one as we entered a new conference.

I think Wildhack gets the gist of the article and is going to stick by Dino through thick and thin, and will let Dino coach another year no matter what

The roster is starting to stabilize itself to. We'll see what happens...really hope we can get to a bowl game this year.

How about Syracuse? Did 2018 really happen?

And U of Miami?

And Texas?

Churning the coaching staff can be disastrous if you don't get the right guy.

Not only can churn be disastrous as you mentioned, but there are situations where it can never even have a shot to succeed. It can start out on the wrong foot so easily bc programs all think they are worthy of getting a Nick Saban/Urban Meyer-level guy.

Then reality hits.

Then they don't give the new person (that was like the program's fifth choice and probably the fans' 100th choice) enough time or support to get back to being able to win at a high level.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

None of the above is a commentary on Dino, btw. I'm just saying, in general.

Getting a program to the level where it's consistently winning at a high level is very hard. It takes a lot of support, especially financially, the right coach and staff, the right AD and still you need to get a bit lucky.

Honestly, I wish I appreciated the P years more than I did. I used to think winning only 6 games was a travesty and if we won less than that the world would just explode.

Not only can churn be disastrous as you mentioned, but there are situations where it can never even have a shot to succeed. It can start out on the wrong foot so easily bc programs all think they are worthy of getting a Nick Saban/Urban Meyer-level guy.

Then reality hits.

Then they don't give the new person (that was like the program's fifth choice and probably the fans' 100th choice) enough time or support to get back to being able to win at a high level.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

None of the above is a commentary on Dino, btw. I'm just saying, in general.

Getting a program to the level where it's consistently winning at a high level is very hard. It takes a lot of support, especially financially, the right coach and staff, the right AD and still you need to get a bit lucky.

Honestly, I wish I appreciated the P years more than I did. I used to think winning only 6 games was a travesty and if we won less than that the world would just explode.

I hope to someday be disappointed with 6 wins again. (And we shoulda won more than that!)

I think Dino could be here long term if he would bring in an OC that’s is not tied to his system like he did with the DC Tony White.

Dino should take a hands off approach with a new OC and become the CEO of the program.

I think the difference is he didn’t come in with a defensive system, whereas he was hired partially because he’s an offensive guy. Not sure if he would or wouldn’t take a hands off approach or not. He might be now and that’s why the play calling is so poor.

And yet, each year, the experts state "I expect Tennessee to be really good this year. I see an 8-4, 9-3 season. Great Coach, great recruits" blah, blah, blah
Tennessee is in impossible situation. Georgia and Florida have it rolling right now. Bama their sec west rival has it on 90s Yankees dynasty mode. Peyton Manning ain't walking through that door unless he wants to.coach them.

This is the thinking that keeps the revolving door moving and the program in the same place.
Eh, it’s all more complicated than that. Obviously some programs churn through coaches too quickly. And some stick with coaches too long.

In our case, we have a guy who will have six years under his belt when the season ends. I hope we have some success this year, and I’m done calling for coaches heads, but It’s hard for me to see how six seasons isn’t a fair amount of time for a program to see tangibly improved performance.

I think Dino could be here long term if he would bring in an OC that’s is not tied to his system like he did with the DC Tony White.

Dino should take a hands off approach with a new OC and become the CEO of the program.
This could be JW’s biggest need this off-season: convincing someone not acting like a CEO to do so. That’s a tough, tough call and not necessarily a recipe for success.

Pasqualoni won 107 games in 14 years or an average of 7.6 games per year.
He was very good, the bad losses the last few years did him in and Gross thought he could make us into USC East

He was very good, the bad losses the last few years did him in and Gross thought he could make us into USC East
Gross wasn't given a choice. The idiot smurf made the call

Reactions: FAL
Gross wasn't given a choice. The idiot smurf made the call
I don’t know, I saw him on ESPN at halftime of the Champs Bowl, he sure as hell sounded like a guy who wanted to fire P too