FSU vs The ACC | Page 76 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

Also you are combining two completely different conversations. While it is possible that some schools will completely abandon the NCAA system and field professional U23 teams, it is not a given. If it does happen then it will absolutely be a closed system. But that is making what IMO is a pretty big assumption. I think the alternatives options outweigh that system.

The promotion/relegation system being proposed is under an NCAA structure.

Again, the basic mistake you and Otto IV are making is to include everyone. When the big change occurs, the bluebloods are going to go off by themselves and leave the rest behind. It will probably come in the form of completely breaking away from the NCAA and not requiring class attendance to play. That is an absolute non-starter to most schools. Plus, a goodly portion of the schools that choose to remain in the NCAA will refuse to play the bluebloods who leave, so schedules won't be padded anymore. Which Week 10 game would you prefer to watch, 3-6 Ohio State v. 2-7 Texas or 9-0 Georgia Tech v. 8-1 Tulane? How would the TV contracts work? One master contract with Fox and Disney/ESPN? Now, you're running up against the Antitrust Act and need the Congressional exemption the pros have. Will they give it?

Promotion and relegation is the stupidest concept in sports. You get to play against the super teams for a year and then go back to playing the teams you usually play. How does that make any sense? You get to see the superstars live once and then you're back down and hoping for that one-year shot again. Most of the yo-yo teams don't have the wherewithal to invest in an attempt to stay with the big guns. And, unless you get a Hollywood personality to buy your team as personal plaything you can only hope to keep yo-yoing each year.
I disagree, if you are correct in your many assumptions I believe college football will be over in 20 years with massive fan disinterest

I disagree, if you are correct in your many assumptions I believe college football will be over in 20 years with massive fan disinterest
Oh, I agree. I'm not advocating what they want; I'm just stating what I think they want. There is no way the structure can maintain itself. The money stream is not infinite. Fans are becoming increasingly turned off to college revenue sports by NIL and "play for pay" will only make it worse. I detest all of this and the direction it's taking. There is a point, IMO, at which the school administrators will come to the conclusion that all of this isn't worth the negativity it's creating.

Again, the basic mistake you and Otto IV are making is to include everyone. When the big change occurs, the bluebloods are going to go off by themselves and leave the rest behind. It will probably come in the form of completely breaking away from the NCAA and not requiring class attendance to play. That is an absolute non-starter to most schools. Plus, a goodly portion of the schools that choose to remain in the NCAA will refuse to play the bluebloods who leave, so schedules won't be padded anymore. Which Week 10 game would you prefer to watch, 3-6 Ohio State v. 2-7 Texas or 9-0 Georgia Tech v. 8-1 Tulane? How would the TV contracts work? One master contract with Fox and Disney/ESPN? Now, you're running up against the Antitrust Act and need the Congressional exemption the pros have. Will they give it?

Promotion and relegation is the stupidest concept in sports. You get to play against the super teams for a year and then go back to playing the teams you usually play. How does that make any sense? You get to see the superstars live once and then you're back down and hoping for that one-year shot again. Most of the yo-yo teams don't have the wherewithal to invest in an attempt to stay with the big guns. And, unless you get a Hollywood personality to buy your team as personal plaything you can only hope to keep yo-yoing each year.

Maybe promotions or relegations should be for a longer period of time?

Can someone please explain this sudden fascination among U.S. sports fans with the absolutely foreign (and inane IMO) concept of relegation? For over well 90% of the teams in the relegation/advancement zones it's a year to move up and then back to whence you came.
Anyone who thinks this hasn't watched any promotion/relegation battles and playoffs. Every single game means something. If you're a bad team, your last games still matter just as much/more now that you're fighting for your lives in the division. For promotion, the passion of those final games is unmatched.

Sure, a decent amount of teams will fail and go back down. But in the EPL, success stories happen all the time. West Ham, Newcastle, Brentford, Wolves, Leicester City, hell even Manchester City was only promoted in 2003 and they're the best team in the world. Leicester won it all. West Ham and Newcastle both finished in the top 10 this year. It is a glorious thing. Also, your stats are very off. I did the math, 56% of teams promoted in the epl have lasted longer than 1 season, with 32% of teams staying for at least 5 seasons after promotion.

WTH is a 'relegation system' & why should I care?

If Fran can win an NC this year before SU gets relegated to conference America, I can die happy.

Good lord college sports is flocked.

I've come up with a system that can make everyone happy and keep traditional rivalries. All the college football money is pooled together.

The top 20 teams regardless of conference based on a formula of top 25 appearances, CFP appearances, bowl games, etc. over the last 10 years get a guarantee of the money. Then go down the list lowering the take based on where teams stand. Each year the top 20 can change based on performance. That way the rich get their money and don't get to blow up college sports for the rest of us.

If anyone knows anyone who matters, please pass this on.

IMG_6088.jpeg

Maybe promotions or relegations should be for a longer period of time?
Probably wouldn't work. Would start taking teams from above the traditional "relegation zone". Anyone who advocates this is actually siding with the bluebloods, whether they realize it or not. I, for one, do not think that "investing" in a "Lazy River" for the football team is necessary to show you're committed to improving your football program.

I'd like to see the PE deal. I'm sure any alleged deal isn't quite what the poster is claiming.

Yormark talks about everything, he is a sales guy. He throws spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks and claims victory...and still lags behind the ACC.
PT Yormark. Total BS artist.

Throwing Notre Dame in this BS story takes it to Dude of WV, Clay Travis, and Frank the Tank level of throwing excrement against the wall for clicks.
You forgot all the fanboys of JRsec, who I think is a paid 'influencer' by Disney/ESPN.

Throwing Notre Dame in this BS story takes it to Dude of WV, Clay Travis, and Frank the Tank level of throwing excrement against the wall for clicks.

You forgot all the fanboys of JRsec, who I think is a paid 'influencer' by Disney/ESPN.
MVher says, "Hey! What am I, chopped liver?"

Probably wouldn't work. Would start taking teams from above the traditional "relegation zone". Anyone who advocates this is actually siding with the bluebloods, whether they realize it or not. I, for one, do not think that "investing" in a "Lazy River" for the football team is necessary to show you're committed to improving your football program.
Anytime you try to take something that seems to work from another place far away and cram it down right on top of a system that developed naturally in another way totally. you are at best playing Dr. Frankenstein. You are a mad scientist. And you easily could-reduce a damned monster of the worst, one that destroys while being oblivious to what it is and is doing.

Plus, what has been done by BT, SEC, Fox, and Disney is to create a closed system in which they control all the money. They are not agreeing to anything that could take part of that away from them.

MVher says, "Hey! What am I, chopped liver?"
His schtick is just about hating the ACC. He knows the history of WVU begging to be in the ACC in 1953 while UVA was still deciding whether to give up its independence. And then WVU again tried to get into h SACC when SoCar left. So recent rejections by the SACC are not new to WVU fans who know history. And they all HATE the ACC by now.

Of course, they all would go along with WVU joining the ACC even now, even as replacement for FSU.

Anytime you try to take something that seems to work from another place far away and cram it down right on top of a system that developed naturally in another way totally. you are at best playing Dr. Frankenstein. You are a mad scientist. And you easily could-reduce a damned monster of the worst, one that destroys while being oblivious to what it is and is doing.

Plus, what has been done by BT, SEC, Fox, and Disney is to create a closed system in which they control all the money. They are not agreeing to anything that could take part of that away from them.
Ha! This is good. Don’t try something new when the current system is running itself into the ground organically.

The premise behind any changes would start with an actual governing body that looks out for the sport, 1st. You’re 100% correct that the current stakeholders would hate that because it would put a damper on their greedy power and pillaging lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom