FSU vs The ACC | Page 87 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

It seems a lot of people feel they can bully their way in or out of contracts.
It is surprising. I think too many people believe Hollywierd and try to emulate a script rather than actually know law, facts, business, relationships, etc.

Alford lived in a surreal world where he could con people into giving up 30-50% of their settlement so he did. Most people can settle claims themselves and do well enough, though some people truly need a lawyer. Anyway, he believes he is a magic negotiator when in fact he is just a showman most of the time.

It is often that most most bullies cannot read a room or are simply that arrogant to believe everyone will bow to their will. Alford fits that mold all day, everyday, and twice on Sunday. Regardless of what happens, FSU will spend a lot of time retaining the trust of others.

It is surprising. I think too many people believe Hollywierd and try to emulate a script rather than actually know law, facts, business, relationships, etc.

Alford lived in a surreal world where he could con people into giving up 30-50% of their settlement so he did. Most people can settle claims themselves and do well enough, though some people truly need a lawyer. Anyway, he believes he is a magic negotiator when in fact he is just a showman most of the time.

It is often that most most bullies cannot read a room or are simply that arrogant to believe everyone will bow to their will. Alford fits that mold all day, everyday, and twice on Sunday. Regardless of what happens, FSU will spend a lot of time retaining the trust of others.
If FSU is really serious about regaining trust, they need to fire Alford and get a few new Trusties including the head trustee. That would be a good start.

Sigh…this could all go away tomorrow if Notre Dame joins for football
College football is no longer structured to accommodate one-off unicorns. The Fighting Frenchmen's insistence on this status is an irritant to the enterprise. I will toast the day they are brought to heel.

9 games, they play each other each week. They're so high and mighty that no other schools are worthy of competing with either of them. At the end of the season, the team with the better record is crowned national champion.
what if they play to a tie every week?

Isn't this the same board that desperately wanted to change the name of the Carrier dome?

What's the difference here? The ACC agreement is a horrible deal. A 20 year term in this environment while other leagues will renew their deal 2x puts schools that can compete on a national basis at a terrible disadvantage.

Contract or not, (ahem, Carrier dome) who would want to stay in this deal?

Isn't this the same board that desperately wanted to change the name of the Carrier dome?

What's the difference here? The ACC agreement is a horrible deal. A 20 year term in this environment while other leagues will renew their deal 2x puts schools that can compete on a national basis at a terrible disadvantage.

At this very moment it's not a horrible deal. ACC schools are making about as much as B12 schools in media revenue. That is basically where they should be given each conference's football TV ratings (similar) and the delta between those and the B1G/SEC.

Now, will it be a bad deal going forward until the expiration in 2036? Likely... IF the conference improves it's football performance. That includes FSU (who stunk for 5 years from 2017 through 2021) and Clemson (who is fading from the heights they enjoyed from 2015-2020).

Sigh…this could all go away tomorrow if Notre Dame joins for football
Back during that year while the ACC had 11 (Syracuse had vbacked away from being #12, and the ACC decided to try to woo NDS and then would accept BC if ND said No. I also believe rthta they had agreed that if ND were to join and wanted 14 members, they would then also add BC and Syracuse or whoever else ND might want), I began posting on ND boards. I always said that eventually we would get to a day when either ND would join the ACC or else ND would be 'forced' to join the BT.

The universal ND fan response was that ND was far too big to ever be forced by anybody or any group to do anything. I think most ND boosters and fans still retain that hubris.

And your point is spot on. If ND made 18 for football, then forever the ACC would remain a Major conference. ND making that move would not just checkmate all SEC and BT plans to have just them left standing as Major, but would lead immediately to the moist valuable schools in the Big 12 wanting to know if the ACC would add them to become a truly Super conference.

what if they play to a tie every week?
It's a coin toss situation, the visiting team gets to choose whether:

A) each side must run suicides until the last man standing, who is then declared the winner.
B) the Dick McPherson resolution. Each side must kiss their respective sisters without regurgitating.

Caveat: neither team may recruit WV or Kentucky players as this would be an unfair advantage under option B.

there are look ins to this deal which allow it to remain market.

That deal is the only thing keeping college football conferences from completely collapsing on themselves. Syracuse should pray to the realignment gods nightly that this deal exists. Also should pray to Notre Dame that they don't play the game for teh highest paycheck because if they did, they'd be in the BIG already and that may be a very bad thing for the ACC.

We're lucky ND is aligned with the ACC and Syracuse/BC to some extent. Phillips spoke as well as one would like to hear about bullying FSU/Clemson and their ridiculous demands. I would have thought they had landing spots but it sounds like they just irritated the rest of college football.

Sankey pulled off a special feat in the creation of the expanded playoff. In one fell swoop he guaranteed there would be more than one SEC team in the playoff and that ND would remain an independent by having the stipulation that a team that wasn't a conference champion could be in the playoff and that team would not get a 1st round bye (would be seeded 5-12). ND will gladly trade maxing out as the #5 seed in return for keeping its independence. They know it means having to play the #4 and #1 seeds, but they're good with that.

Back during that year while the ACC had 11 (Syracuse had vbacked away from being #12, and the ACC decided to try to woo NDS and then would accept BC if ND said No. I also believe rthta they had agreed that if ND were to join and wanted 14 members, they would then also add BC and Syracuse or whoever else ND might want), I began posting on ND boards. I always said that eventually we would get to a day when either ND would join the ACC or else ND would be 'forced' to join the BT.

The universal ND fan response was that ND was far too big to ever be forced by anybody or any group to do anything. I think most ND boosters and fans still retain that hubris.

And your point is spot on. If ND made 18 for football, then forever the ACC would remain a Major conference. ND making that move would not just checkmate all SEC and BT plans to have just them left standing as Major, but would lead immediately to the moist valuable schools in the Big 12 wanting to know if the ACC would add them to become a truly Super conference.

ND doesn't have to join. They just can't join another conference or be forced to join another conference.

People overstate ND’s value.

They’re getting $50 million a year from NBC.

ACC pays $45M per team.

Granted, NBC/ND is football only and ACC is all sports. So maybe shave 10% of the ACC annual payout if you want to make a rough apples to apples football comparison.

Still, if ND magically decided to join the ACC for football the contract bump wouldn’t necessarily be the massive windfall some of you think.

People overstate ND’s value.

They’re getting $50 million a year from NBC.

ACC pays $45M per team.

Granted, NBC/ND is football only and ACC is all sports. So maybe shave 10% of the ACC annual payout if you want to make a rough apples to apples football comparison.

Still, if ND magically decided to join the ACC for football the contract bump wouldn’t necessarily be the massive windfall some of you think.

Well that is true financially. I also think ND has not taken their brand truly to market in a way to maximize it. I think if they went to a conference and they played the other football teams in said conference, there's a valuation to that which would be paid higher than the 50mm per.

I do think people undervalue ND's appreciation for the ACC and Navy. ACC for providing ND a one year conference during COVID and Navy for their affiliation during WW2. The school, whatever you think about them, has remained true to their word and I think being loyal to them will do us great benefit long term in the stability of SU and the ACC.

Doing the right thing sometimes isn't the most financially prudent thing. But it allows for the long game to be played. UConn learned this the very hard way

Well that is true financially. I also think ND has not taken their brand truly to market in a way to maximize it. I think if they went to a conference and they played the other football teams in said conference, there's a valuation to that which would be paid higher than the 50mm per.

I do think people undervalue ND's appreciation for the ACC and Navy. ACC for providing ND a one year conference during COVID and Navy for their affiliation during WW2. The school, whatever you think about them, has remained true to their word and I think being loyal to them will do us great benefit long term in the stability of SU and the ACC.

Doing the right thing sometimes isn't the most financially prudent thing. But it allows for the long game to be played. UConn learned this the very hard way
Agree about not going to market in an aggressive way. And putting aside ND’s appreciation for the ACC, people don’t truly understand that for media purposes they’re a 5/8ths member. The ACC can market a guaranteed 2-3 ND games every season to their media partner. Granted it’d be better to have 6, but ND is still very much a part of the ACC’s rights package.

Regardless, ND is a net positive for the conference. All the “kick them out” stuff is silly.

Agree about not going to market in an aggressive way. And putting aside ND’s appreciation for the ACC, people don’t truly understand that for media purposes they’re a 5/8ths member. The ACC can market a guaranteed 2-3 ND games every season to their media partner. Granted it’d be better to have 6, but ND is still very much a part of the ACC’s rights package.

Regardless, ND is a net positive for the conference. All the “kick them out” stuff is silly.

Oh yeah??!!

How about in terms of SENDING THEM A MESSAGE??!!!! :p

The best case scenario would be play 3 more ACC games each year, and be a full member. 8 games a year shown on NBC, all 4 Out of conference, and the 4 ACC home games.
Set up the conference for having access to NBC if ESPN doesn't start uping the payments to close the gap between us and the Big 2.

At this very moment it's not a horrible deal. ACC schools are making about as much as B12 schools in media revenue. That is basically where they should be given each conference's football TV ratings (similar) and the delta between those and the B1G/SEC.

Now, will it be a bad deal going forward until the expiration in 2036? Likely... IF the conference improves it's football performance. That includes FSU (who stunk for 5 years from 2017 through 2021) and Clemson (who is fading from the heights they enjoyed from 2015-2020).
If it's a bad deal going forward, it's a bad deal.

FSU was bad for 5 years. What relevance does that have? Are they and Clemson supposed to carry the league?

It's like being in a partnership and you're putting in the time and effort and your partner isn't. Do you want out of that relationship? Absolutely.

The best case scenario would be play 3 more ACC games each year, and be a full member. 8 games a year shown on NBC, all 4 Out of conference, and the 4 ACC home games.
Set up the conference for having access to NBC if ESPN doesn't start uping the payments to close the gap between us and the Big 2.
That’s their call. Be like asking Syracuse to leave the ACC and fix the old big east because it helps other schools.

Nd does what’s best for them just SU does what’s best for them. If we are invited to the big 10 tomorrow we would leave at some point.

Not sure why anyone thinks selfishness is just limited to ND.

I act think ND playing 3 games contractually is already a home run.

I just want SU to play ND in Ireland. I’ve gone to last 2 games and it would be fun for the fan base

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom