FSU vs The ACC | Page 97 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

Fun fact UConn moved up in 2004 to the BE and between 2004 and 2012 were ranked 3 different seasons and had 5 seasons above .500 … care to guess at how we faired? UConn played in 5 bowl games we played in 2.

Again I’m not a UConn fan but playing for a major sports title is better for the league. Part of the reason you have schools looking to bolt is because the national perception of the conference is taking a beating.

It has been done before and can be done again, it’s not like this hasn’t happened.

I'm well aware of your fun fact, and how we fared during that same period. Do you think maybe one had something to do with the other? Is it possible bringing UConn back into the same conference with Syracuse might contribute to the same issues again?

There is no plausible scenario where UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, and Rutgers are all winning P4 football programs. That's even more true now than it was in 2004, and we see how it worked out for us then.

With a 12 team playoff, this would never happen again. Even if there still was only a four team playoff, the destruction of the Pac-12 means each of the P4 undefeated champions would have a spot.

The next fight/complaint will be when the runner up ACC team is left out because the B1G and SEC need to get four of five teams in.
Sure they go 11-1 and miss out and throw a tantrum that’s why it can happen again. But like I said none of it matters.

I'm well aware of your fun fact, and how we fared during that same period. Do you think maybe one had something to do with the other? Is it possible bringing UConn back into the same conference with Syracuse might contribute to the same issues again?

There is no plausible scenario where UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, and Rutgers are all winning P4 football programs. That's even more true now than it was in 2004, and we see how it worked out for us then.
Of course and it could happen again … obviously they won’t be invited so it’s moot but our conference has a very poor reputation outside of the ACC. Programs are cyclical …

If the next frontier is streaming, then I would want the basketball obsessed state in my conference because those people will definitely spend the money to make sure they don't miss a minute of their men's or women's games.
I get that, but it still doesn't work when they are a net drag under virtually every scenario. Even if they were a net positive they don't lock down the Northeast, and elevating them further could make things more difficult for existing conference members across multiple sports. It just doesn't make any sense, except for nostalgia.

They would have to go 11-2
Fair .. I could see scenarios pop up like that ... you could for example lose a nail biter to Clemson and drop a game to the Gators (their annual rivalry game) and get the shaft again.

d-1 BC hasn't been relevant in any sport for a long time. They never should have been taken in the first place. They aren't even relevant in Massachusetts.
Well, they've been in the last 8 consecutive women's D-1 lacrosse championship games, winning 2. They were in the 2007 and 2008 football championship games. Everything bad stems from the insane AD who fired Jeff Jagodzinski (just for saying he'd consider intervirewing for a pro job) and Al Skinner for a couple of bad seasons and made Tom O'Brien leave for NC State. You folks are more acquainted than I am with their performance in the OBE that made them a consideration for the ACC.

Well, they've been in the last 8 consecutive women's D-1 lacrosse championship games, winning 2. They were in the 2007 and 2008 football championship games. Everything bad stems from the insane AD who fired Jeff Jagodzinski (just for saying he'd consider intervirewing for a pro job) and Al Skinner for a couple of bad seasons and made Tom O'Brien leave for NC State. You folks are more acquainted than I am with their performance in the OBE that made them a consideration for the ACC.
Gene DeFillipo. He was there about 15 years.

He succeeded Chet Gladchuk, who worked earlier at SU. The interesting thing about Gladchuk is that he left BC for Navy in 1997--and he's still AD there today.

Gene DeFillipo. He was there about 15 years.

He succeeded Chet Gladchuk, who worked earlier at SU. The interesting thing about Gladchuk is that he left BC for Navy in 1997--and he's still AD there today.
His name is a dirty word on the BC board, He nortoriously said, "I'll start a {fill in the name of a currently unsponsored} team when Florida State starts a hockey team."

BC got in the ACC primarily because of academic snobbery. WVU was not considered. The great ACC failure in that process was not to notice that when Flutie played, BC got front page coverage of Boston Globe Sports, but by the time BC would join the ACC, BC got almost no coverage at all. The Harvard-Yale game got more coverage. UMass basketball got more coverage in Boston than BC basketball.

BC got in the ACC primarily because of academic snobbery. WVU was not considered. The great ACC failure in that process was not to notice that when Flutie played, BC got front page coverage of Boston Globe Sports, but by the time BC would join the ACC, BC got almost no coverage at all. The Harvard-Yale game got more coverage. UMass basketball got more coverage in Boston than BC basketball.
They were too busy burying point shaving allegations :)

They got in because Boston was a top 7 tv market. Not sure it was more complicated than that. Their academics were top notch as well.

BC Miami and Syracuse (their preferred choice) were all solid academics with sufficient eyeballs.

Plus a hockey team that’s a dream team last few years. Bc hockey is a better event than bc football or basketball

They got in because Boston was a top 7 tv market. Not sure it was more complicated than that. Their academics were top notch as well.

BC Miami and Syracuse (their preferred choice) were all solid academics with sufficient eyeballs.
We can always count on WoadBlue to be wrong in everything he posts about conference stuff. It's uncanny.

FWIW, some of you have to alter your thinking about what matters in college sports as the media landscape evolves.

Yes, football rules the roost. But that was amplified in a time when revenue was driven by conference cable sports networks and linear TV advertising.

As rights migrate to streaming platforms, other sports increase their value. UConn men's *and women's* hoops would drive a ton of subscriptions for a service. And they'd do so over the span of 5 months. It ain't football, but it has a good deal of value.

Brands >> markets.

FWIW, some of you have to alter your thinking about what matters in college sports as the media landscape evolves.

Yes, football rules the roost. But that was amplified in a time when revenue was driven by conference cable sports networks and linear TV advertising.

As rights migrate to streaming platforms, other sports increase their value. UConn men's *and women's* hoops would drive a ton of subscriptions for a service. And they'd do so over the span of 5 months. It ain't football, but it has a good deal of value.

Brands >> markets.
I didn’t even think about this side of it. Good call!

As does UConn. Losing $52MM a year is not sustainable, even for a state school. And that’s before Hurley’s new contract. Don’t understand football not joining until 2031 unless the B12 only took them by offering a greatly reduced or no payment until the new media rights deal is negotiated. Real roll of the dice by both sides.

It’s because the Big 12 schools don’t want to split the football money with another school until after their new media right deal

Yormark is a bit nuts but surely even he knows that UConn,because its football is 0 value, brings nothing to the Big 12. That means the only way I can accept that the Big 12 is serious about adding UConn is if Yormark expects the Big 12 to lose a number of more valuable football members, which then would lead to the Big 12 trying to rebrand as THE basketball league. If that is your plan, the UConn might even be necessary.
He’s going to sell basketball rights separately in a few years and wants to be dominant in basketball and add the northeast as a region.

The best thing for Fox, ESPN, ACC, and BIG 12 would be combine ACC and BIG 12, add Oregon St, Washington St, Uconn, Memphis, USF maybe a couple of others.
Divide them into regional divisions, and go from there. You have all sports covered year round streaming.
You avoid most lawsuits, can work through title 9.
Transportation costs for schools goes down. Students have less travel time.
This is an intriguing idea.

Brands >> markets.
Scooch, if this is the case (and i agree with you 100%), then Notre Dame will never join a conference as constituted because their brand is better than every other brand and they probably haven't even fully utilized it market wise (i.e. the NBC relationship). I contend that ND should just create their own streaming service and add new content to it (i.e. boston/ny markets via Syracuse and BC). Ultimately Notre Dame can operate like a netflix where they dictate the brands they amplify.

I hope this is the way for SU ultimately. Hitching its wagon to NDFlix

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom