FSU vs The ACC | Page 96 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

Give me a break. dont just go by a year. If you dont realize that year in year out the ACC is a great basketball conference im not sure you are being honest.
Yet it’s so loaded? Let’s be realistic and not emotional here. You don’t think adding UConn a back to back champ helps raise conference profile? You can hate them it’s ok, I don’t like them either but to insist the conf is so loaded they don’t help raise the overall conf profile is foolish based on recent history. The ACC isn’t the dominant conference of old … it used to be between the ACC and Big East, those days are gone.

Yet it’s so loaded? Let’s be realistic and not emotional here. You don’t think adding UConn a back to back champ helps raise conference profile? You can hate them it’s ok, I don’t like them either but to insist the conf is so loaded they don’t help raise the overall conf profile is foolish based on recent history. The ACC isn’t the dominant conference of old … it used to be between the ACC and Big East, those days are gone.
If this was all about hoops it might make sense but it’s about football and they bring next to nothing to the table. A lot of overlap between Syracuse and BC in terms of geography. I think there are a lot of other programs way higher on the list than UConn. I’m sure the conference and network have done their due diligence here.

Irrelevant unless it significantly impacts the bottom line of the conference well into the future. It doesn't, and there aren't many scenarios out there in which it will.

Of course it will help the bball side of the ACC absolutely. My point is different. It's about football for the ACC. We might not be the number one bball conference, but ESPN isn't going to pay enough additional money for UCONN bball to move the needle and their football team would actually be a negative as far as each teams' payouts go. In addition, the football team doesn't add anything of value from a viewership standpoint or a time zone standpoint. UConn football is a non-starter. If we were a bball centric league sure bring them in but we are not. Football drives the bus.

Of course it will help the bball side of the ACC absolutely. My point is different. It's about football for the ACC. We might not be the number one bball conference, but ESPN isn't going to pay enough additional money for UCONN bball to move the needle and their football team would actually be a negative as far as each teams' payouts go. In addition, the football team doesn't add anything of value from a viewership standpoint or a time zone standpoint. UConn football is a non-starter. If we were a bball centric league sure bring them in but we are not. Football drives the bus.
UConn == BC & BC sucks in both sports. You casually forget the bump to UConns profile when football was let in.

We didn’t fare well against them for a stretch. Who says an ACC profile can’t help boost it? They are a better option than BC .. at least they can win in one sport.

ESPN isn't going to pay enough additional money for UCONN bball to move the needle and their football team would actually be a negative as far as each teams' payouts go.
This 1000x. Does UConn basketball have value? Yes, it does. But the basketball value isn't enough to offset the negative value of its football program. ESPN/Fox won't pay a single cent more for adding UConn FB to a conference, but the conference membership will go up by one diluting the payout to every other team. It's a net negative for the other conference members.

Not only does it dilute the payouts to the conference members, but it dilutes the limited northeast talent pool of FBS caliber players. Dragging another middling northeastern school into the P4 is repeating the same mistakes of 20 years ago and expecting different results. There's not enough football talent in the northeast to feed Rutgers, SU, Penn State, Pitt, and BC. It's not a coincidence that our best years came when Rutgers sucked and UConn was in the Yankee conference. Having UConn trying their hand at football in a power conference would be bad for Syracuse, bad for UConn, bad for whatever conference they join, bad for ESPN/Fox, and bad for the other northeastern teams.

UConn tried the P5 football thing. It didn't work out. They should focus on basketball, which has a positive net value for them financially, and drop to FCS for football.

UConn == BC & BC sucks in both sports. You casually forget the bump to UConns profile when football was let in.

We didn’t fare well against them for a stretch. Who says an ACC profile can’t help boost it? They are a better option than BC .. at least they can win in one sport.
I understand your position but if you are a uconn fan unfortunately it doesnt work for the ACC. For the Big 12 it does as the ring master they have running the show is going to do everything in his power to keep them relevant. In the end they will either merge with the ACC or they will be the fourth conf.

This 1000x. Does UConn basketball have value? Yes, it does. But the basketball value isn't enough to offset the negative value of its football program. ESPN/Fox won't pay a single cent more for adding UConn FB to a conference, but the conference membership will go up by one diluting the payout to every other team. It's a net negative for the other conference members.

Not only does it dilute the payouts to the conference members, but it dilutes the limited northeast talent pool of FBS caliber players. Dragging another middling northeastern school into the P4 is repeating the same mistakes of 20 years ago and expecting different results. There's not enough football talent in the northeast to feed Rutgers, SU, Penn State, Pitt, and BC. It's not a coincidence that our best years came when Rutgers sucked and UConn was in the Yankee conference. Having UConn trying their hand at football in a power conference would be bad for Syracuse, bad for UConn, bad for whatever conference they join, bad for ESPN/Fox, and bad for the other northeastern teams.

UConn tried the P5 football thing. It didn't work out. They should focus on basketball, which has a positive net value for them financially, and drop to FCS for football.
That is what I have always said. The BE never should have allowed UConn football to leave 1AA for BE football.

But it seems clear now that Yormark wants UConn in the Big 12 - even agreeing to take its football. That will hurt Big 12 football. And if the AAC case tells us anything, UConn basketball lacking a strong grounding in the Northeast will flounder.

Fun fact UConn moved up in 2004 to the BE and between 2004 and 2012 were ranked 3 different seasons and had 5 seasons above .500 … care to guess at how we faired? UConn played in 5 bowl games we played in 2.

Again I’m not a UConn fan but playing for a major sports title is better for the league. Part of the reason you have schools looking to bolt is because the national perception of the conference is taking a beating.

It has been done before and can be done again, it’s not like this hasn’t happened.

Fun fact UConn moved up in 2004 to the BE and between 2004 and 2012 were ranked 3 different seasons and had 5 seasons above .500 … care to guess at how we faired? UConn played in 5 bowl games we played in 2.

Again I’m not a UConn fan but playing for a major sports title is better for the league. Part of the reason you have schools looking to bolt is because the national perception of the conference is taking a beating.

It has been done before and can be done again, it’s not like this hasn’t happened.
UConn waited too long to move to big time football. They let the rest of the league lay the groundwork for over a decade and then jumped in when it was convenient for them and took advantage of what others built at the time when those teams, mostly Syracuse, started struggling. They did the same thing in basketball. They sat back while the Big East was built by Georgetown, St. Johns, Villanova, Syracuse and even Seton Hall and Pittsburgh. Then they took advantage of being in the conference once it was built in to a power by the others. Screw them.

Schools are looking to bolt because once the schools directly pay players with media money the ACC (today) is far behind.

UConn waited too long to move to big time football. They let the rest of the league lay the groundwork for over a decade and then jumped in when it was convenient for them and took advantage of what others built at the time when those teams, mostly Syracuse, started struggling. They did the same thing in basketball. They sat back while the Big East was built by Georgetown, St. Johns, Villanova, Syracuse and even Seton Hall and Pittsburgh. Then they took advantage of being in the conference once it was built in to a power by the others. Screw them.
I just want conference perception boosted across sports so we can avoid watching it dissolve. We will never know because UConn would never be added but this idea that ACC hoops is so loaded is a farce. Other leagues have caught up.

Schools are looking to bolt because once the schools directly pay players with media money the ACC (today) is far behind.
Agreed so the more money you can capture across all major sports is paramount … we aren’t adding anyone in football that is going to change that.

They are also looking to bolt because they didn’t get included in the playoffs after going undefeated in a perceived poor conference. We aren’t adding a football program that would instantly change that. The two teams that dominated the B12 are in the SEC now. I’d love to add a team that would move the needle but not sold there is one.

BC hasn't been relevant in any sport for a long time. They never should have been taken in the first place. They aren't even relevant in Massachusetts.

I don’t know how ACC teams are going to be able to focus each week with this lawsuit looming. The conference needs to settle to end the distraction.
Do you think Kyle McCord cares about the lawsuit?

Irrelevant unless it significantly impacts the bottom line of the conference well into the future. It doesn't, and there aren't many scenarios out there in which it will.
If the next frontier is streaming, then I would want the basketball obsessed state in my conference because those people will definitely spend the money to make sure they don't miss a minute of their men's or women's games.

They are also looking to bolt because they didn’t get included in the playoffs after going undefeated in a perceived poor conference. We aren’t adding a football program that would instantly change that. The two teams that dominated the B12 are in the SEC now. I’d love to add a team that would move the needle but not sold there is one.
With a 12 team playoff, this would never happen again. Even if there still was only a four team playoff, the destruction of the Pac-12 means each of the P4 undefeated champions would have a spot.

The next fight/complaint will be when the runner up ACC team is left out because the B1G and SEC need to get four of five teams in.

BC hasn't been relevant in any sport for a long time. They never should have been taken in the first place. They aren't even relevant in Massachusetts.

I have always wondered if one of the reasons BC was taken was to have a game against ND broadcast under the ACC's media rights every other year.

Big 12 and UConn are looking at UConn joining in 2 years. The ACC needs to try to stop that and invite them.
Why? Did they suddenly get more valuable than they were weeks ago? No. And just how happy will the football schools in the league be in adding UConn? Not very. Good luck to them.

They bring a state with money and 3.4million people obsessed with UConn and would pay for a streaming service to watch. Big 12 with UConn, Arizona, Kansas, Houston and Baylor is by far the best conference in college basketball.

And it would be great for our fans to have a rivalry game we actually care about every year.

You guys are really short sighted about UConn. The Big 12 is positioned to be the 3rd conference standing and we better hope to get a lifeline. If/When the ACC falls apart and we see UConn safely in the Big 12 and Rutgers safely in the Big 10 and then we’ll be here lamenting where it all went wrong.

UConn should be in the ACC, and at the very least our admin should publicly and loudly advocate for them to be in the ACC so we might have a friendly advocate for us if we need a life raft.

Edit: their football is also only irrelevant because it’s not in a major conference. If the ACC blows up, our football will be just as irrelevant. UConn in the big 12 means it’s not irrelevant anymore.
No we aren't. We just aren't over rating what they bring from hoop. There is a reason that they have never been added by any league yet. And that reason is that they just don't bring enough value. If they did, they would have been added by now.

Why wouldn’t the conference want to lock down the Northeast instead of letting another conference have a foothold?
Because they don't add the northeast. They add Ct. A small state. They add nothing for football. Actually less than nothing. If they were added toa football league, there would be a revolt from the football schools.

We didn't fare well against anyone for a stretch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom