Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

depending on research, prof probably make 100-300K, then those that do research can make another 100K in summer salary and then those that want can also be involved in side projects worth even more. there are other perks if one wants them too.. sabbaticals can be used create even larger amounts of income every few years and i would assume Su has a program for them to live on campus in dorm settings basically living for free for 2-3 years. I know some here take advantage of that, sell the car, and rent out the home and bring in 100K while living on the colleges dime.

There are also ones who live on the edge, dont do the research or are in a field that is very limited and are broke. Most of the ones i deal with are doing quite well, I know of ones who are flush enough they dont even cash their pay checks before the expire..

Who cashes paychecks? This story lost a lot of credibility with that statement haha

If we're going down the med school path, then selling the land that allowed SUNY-ESF to be built was a mistake as well. Because of that, the campus is more crowded than it should be. Many of the problems that SU faces today can be attributed to Cantor's tenure. It isn't fair to put it on Kent yet. He's fairly new and inherited her mess.

As far as the Dome renovation, sports is a big reason why students come to SU after academics. The Dome and athletics are featured in their current television ad campaign. It is an asset that needs the proper attention. Professors and faculty hate athletics, but don't complain when the surplus generated by athletic revenue is used to fund projects on campus. The auditorium in the Geology building was constructed using bowl game money. At least give it some air conditioning and remove the bleachers if they can't afford a total makeover.

Re: the History major comment, I don't take offense to it. Maxwell is a highly regarded college on the national scale. That gives enough credence to the major which houses/-d some great professors during my time there.

That was in 1913. How terribly short sighted of the university. :crazy:
Hey, someone sold NYC for 24 dollars. Or at least I thought I heard that. Imagine that ROI.

Edit. In 2017 dollars it is $951 and change. Those crafty Dutch.

Is there room for another med school in Syracuse?

Maybe the State would simply "sell" Upstate back to SU. Cuomo seems to want to give money away and getting a line item cost off the books for the State may be mutually beneficial.

If we're going down the med school path, then selling the land that allowed SUNY-ESF to be built was a mistake as well. Because of that, the campus is more crowded than it should be. Many of the problems that SU faces today can be attributed to Cantor's tenure. It isn't fair to put it on Kent yet. He's fairly new and inherited her mess.

As far as the Dome renovation, sports is a big reason why students come to SU after academics. The Dome and athletics are featured in their current television ad campaign. It is an asset that needs the proper attention. Professors and faculty hate athletics, but don't complain when the surplus generated by athletic revenue is used to fund projects on campus. The auditorium in the Geology building was constructed using bowl game money. At least give it some air conditioning and remove the bleachers if they can't afford a total makeover.

Re: the History major comment, I don't take offense to it. Maxwell is a highly regarded college on the national scale. That gives enough credence to the major which houses/-d some great professors during my time there.

My understanding was that a new model is/was being discussed between SU, national VA Hospital admin and the old Pres administration in terms of medical research speciality with veterans. Huge money potential...but the politics makes it impossible right now as there would be an on campus revolt with anything to do with the new Pres administration.

My understanding was that a new model is/was being discussed between SU, national VA Hospital admin and the old Pres administration in terms of medical research speciality with veterans. Huge money potential...but the politics makes it impossible right now as there would be an on campus revolt with anything to do with the new Pres administration.
Find it hard to believe they would turn money down from the feds regardless of who is POTUS. I don't recall there was federal money behind it but to the extent there was, the new head of the VA is a well regarded holdover from the Obama administration.

Find it hard to believe they would turn money down from the feds regardless of who is POTUS. I don't recall there was federal money behind it but to the extent there was, the new head of the VA is a well regarded holdover from the Obama administration.
Agreed. SU wants a medical school badly and politics is not going to change that.

Don't know particulars of the medical school situation, but my guess is that the change in administration has left SU on unsteady ground as far as allies in the federal government. Priorities have changed and a lot of projects are uncertain. The Clinton loss led directly to the I-81 planning shakeup, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's had the same effect on any unfolding plans or relationships between SU and federal partners in the med school.

Don't know particulars of the medical school situation, but my guess is that the change in administration has left SU on unsteady ground as far as allies in the federal government. Priorities have changed and a lot of projects are uncertain. The Clinton loss led directly to the I-81 planning shakeup, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's had the same effect on any unfolding plans or relationships between SU and federal partners in the med school.
Interesting Otto, was curious how the election would effect this. Haynie's contacts are stronger with the Dems it seems.

Interesting Otto, was curious how the election would effect this. Haynie's contacts are stronger with the Dems it seems.
th

Why would the politics affect a VA matter? Both sides want to stay on good terms with the Veterans. A university partnering with the VA for improved research and treatment, especially when it is only a block away from a regional VA center, should be above the fray.

I can understand a slow down due to a change in administrations, but a slow down would have occurred if Hillary won. A new president will always want their own person making the decisions. Regardless, if SU is serious about partnering with the VA - and we believe they are - then it should get restarted soon enough.

Has anyone heard of another school wanting to do something similar?

Why would the politics affect a VA matter? Both sides want to stay on good terms with the Veterans. A university partnering with the VA for improved research and treatment, especially when it is only a block away from a regional VA center, should be above the fray.

I can understand a slow down due to a change in administrations, but a slow down would have occurred if Hillary won. A new president will always want their own person making the decisions. Regardless, if SU is serious about partnering with the VA - and we believe they are - then it should get restarted soon enough.

Has anyone heard of another school wanting to do something similar?

I don't think both sides see it the same way: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/us/trump-hiring-freeze-veterans-affairs.html?_r=0

Hearing rumors that Kentucky, Duke and Kansas are throwing their hat in the ring.

Senators Schumer and Gillibrand will have to play nice with the administration. Not living in NY, I don't follow the politics as much but it would seem that this would be an easy deal, especially if they can create an opportunity for 2-4 sites to work on various issues together, perhaps each site specializing in one area and sharing with the others for quicker testing and roll-outs. This is a win-win-win situation, politicians need to set aside their parties and be statesmen at least on this issue (all issues would be best, but that isn't happening anytime soon.

I miss the days when Tip O'Neil could fight Reagan all day and the two would forget politics at night - getting the real work done. Everyone has their political leanings but some issues sho0uld not be political.

Agreed. SU wants a medical school badly and politics is not going to change that.
maybe this may be a opportune moment to get fed support with all of trumps rhetoric of putting veterans care in the fore front. particularly in the r&d area,of head trauma, prothesthetic development,physical rehabilitation and psychiatry- ptsd etc. just saying.
i don't know about a discreet med school,but certainly a 50-50 partnership with upstate. kind of a consortium center with mutual ownership. i had thought that maybe this is what the chancellor was really trying to get as an end result. trying to force upstates hand and gain state and fed support.just throwing that out. pure speculation on my part.

maybe, but i find it difficult to believe there would be protests in relation to improving veterans care. truly un- american . protesters if any would be overwhelmed by veterans alone as well as mainstream americans. i don't see the left as that bad, but i may be naive.

maybe, but i find it difficult to believe there would be protests in relation to improving veterans care. truly un- american . protesters if any would be overwhelmed by veterans alone as well as mainstream americans. i don't see the left as that bad, but i may be naive.
Yeah, no one turns down money from the fed. If there were any protests it would be if there were other semi-related or unrelated things attached to the program that were politically driven.

Yeah, no one turns down money from the fed. If there were any protests it would be if there were other semi-related or unrelated things attached to the program that were politically driven.
Some people do turn down money from the fed.

Funny. A great many geography and history majors come out of (wait for it...wait for it) Maxwell. And SU's got a very well-regarded religion program.

Whitman...not so much.

business week ranked them #23

my daughter got a combo jd and mpa from syracuse. she loved maxwell , not so much the law school. the law school seems to be improving of late though. she donates to maxwell not the law school.when she was job hunting, firms and corporations were impressed with the maxwell degree. thats going back 7-8 yrs now though. she felt the maxwell mpa was a significant asset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom