Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Students, Faculty and Staff Invited to Participate in Campus Framework Forum Tuesday, Feb. 28

The Syracuse University community is invited and encouraged to participate in a Campus Framework forum Tuesday, Feb. 28, at 4 p.m. in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium in Newhouse 3.

During the forum, Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele G. Wheatly, Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer Pete Sala and Cathryn Newton, special advisor to the Chancellor and provost for faculty engagement, will provide an overview of information gathered last fall and solicit additional feedback on next steps. Members of the Campus Framework Advisory Group and staff in the Office of Campus Planning, Design and Construction (CPDC) will also be on hand to answer questions.

The session follows a significant effort to capture feedback and suggestions from students, faculty, staff, alumni and community members. This feedback process has included more than a dozen Campus Framework forums, as well as one-on-one meetings with the deans of the schools and colleges and with leaders in the many academic and support units on campus. Hundreds of students, faculty, staff and community members have provided input, which has helped inform the ongoing work of crafting the draft Campus Framework.

Following the forum on Feb. 28, Chancellor Kent Syverud, Provost Wheatly, the Board of Trustees and the Campus Framework Advisory Group will continue to revise the draft Campus Framework. An updated Campus Framework document will be shared with the campus community later this spring.

Maybe we should start a GoFundMe for the dome renovation.
Seriously - why even announce any plans if the check is going to bounce? Just let the roof collapse, blame it as an act of god and reap the disaster recovery funds to jumpstart the renovation.

And while we're at it - let's have a fiery "accident" at the war memorial so we can enter the 21st century.

Seriously - why even announce any plans if the check is going to bounce? Just let the roof collapse, blame it as an act of god and reap the disaster recovery funds to jumpstart the renovation.

And while we're at it - let's have a fiery "accident" at the war memorial so we can enter the 21st century.
It's kind of embarrassing really.

Guys, was there any official announcement there is "no money" or just posters on this forum who are saying "there is no money?"

I think we know the answer. No need to get desperate

Guys, was there any official announcement there is "no money" or just posters on this forum who are saying "there is no money?"

I think we know the answer. No need to get desperate
Andy cuomo earmarked $200M for the stadium. When miner gave the middle finger, he moved that funding outside the city to the fairgrounds. $150M and counting...

so yes, long story short, we're just a couple hundred million dollars in pledges from breaking ground.

What I am learning here is people want a new stadium no matter how corrupt COR is and that their execs will probably be in jail soon some day and from what I am hearing Cuomo is the top target. The multi-billion dollar job out in Marcy N.Y. was scraped because of the mess the state and COR has been exposed for. Minor saved us from a potential mess bigly here,but too many only want what they want.

Can you imagine if we changed our schedules, promised recruits,used eminent domain to take property away then have the state and Feds pull the funding because of quid pro quo that was going on. Minor knew what was happening as her step son works for COR. The state pulled the funding for Marcy....Hopefully Apple uses that footprint to build it's $7 billion Fox conn factory as the ground is stable enough to build high tech products on it.

Minor was right on this issue!!!

Andy cuomo earmarked $200M for the stadium. When miner gave the middle finger, he moved that funding outside the city to the fairgrounds. $150M and counting...

so yes, long story short, we're just a couple hundred million dollars in pledges from breaking ground.
Cuomo had no clue about this stadium when the story first broke. Neither did upstate at that time.

Upstate Medical teams up with private developer to give Kennedy Square a makeover

This was a plan hatched by Mahoney,Gross and COR first then given to Cuomo

Just follow the timeline here...

According to two sources familiar with the drawings, they were submitted to Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney in June 2013 during a meeting between Mahoney, SU Athletic Director Daryl Gross, and Steve Aiello, president of COR. The three discussed the possibility of a new SU sports arena, according to two sources who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Last fall, when Gov. Andrew Cuomo signaled that he wanted to promote economic development in Central New York, Mahoney successfully used the COR proposal to seek the governor's support, the sources said.

There is another story which I can't find,but read where SUNY people were left in the dark about selling the land to COR as SUNY had other plans on the books. I worked at Accelerator job for a month back in 2011 and all I heard then was talk of new high tech stuff being built.

The SUNY guy is going to jail for being overly greedy on his watch

Well said retro44

Also and I preface this by saying I'm no expert here, weren't the SU higher ups, Syverud number one, against this proposal anyway? Just cause Gross was wheeling and dealing, that didn't mean he had any authority. I don't think the powers that be ever wanted to become a tenant in a new building off campus and this supposed money was never earmarked for dome renovations. They were just trying to use SU as a selling point to Cuomo. Never has there been any concrete talk of this money being shifted into the dome. At least not publically.

Concerns over planned Carrier Dome renovations are similar to worries raised when the venue was built

Thought this was an interesting article. Not surprisingly there is opposition on the Hill. Some legitimate concerns, but some are thinly veiled and a bit selfish.

I'd prefer they give the faculty raises, was in essence one response from a professor. While I agree that the university needs to continually invest in academics and hopefully continue to raise its stature, after years of falling rankings, the dome draws an audience and represents the university on a national level. The decision to enter the ACC made investment in the dome a must. It is a recruiting tool university wide, not just athletically, and revenue generator that should be prioritized like other university buildings. Whether the $205 million dollar price tag is appropriate is better left to the experts, but the reason it is so high is that the ancient technology they have hovering above everyone's head every game, needs to be rectified. Man wouldn't it be nice for a big donor to come in and give a couple hundred million!

“I like athletics,” Arnold said, “but it’s a financial burden on the university.”

I'm thinking that's probably not true.
No, it isn't. The athletics department makes money for the university and serves as its greatest ambassador. Sports are certainly a key way prospective students and faculty initially become aware of the university.

The renovation has to be done become it puts one of the best assets the university has (its sports programs) at risk. Catastrophic failure is a foregone conclusion; the only question is when it will happen. When it does, the costs to SU will be enormous and it will affect all other schools in the conference.

If some of the faculty can't understand, perhaps they shouldn't be teaching at tt college level. I too support investing in academics but this is not an athletics bs academics question. If we weren't in the ACC, things would be a lot different...

No, it isn't. The athletics department makes money for the university and serves as its greatest ambassador. Sports are certainly a key way prospective students and faculty initially become aware of the university.

The renovation has to be done become it puts one of the best assets the university has (its sports programs) at risk. Catastrophic failure is a foregone conclusion; the only question is when it will happen. When it does, the costs to SU will be enormous and it will affect all other schools in the conference.

If some of the faculty can't understand, perhaps they shouldn't be teaching at tt college level. I too support investing in academics but this is not an athletics bs academics question. If we weren't in the ACC, things would be a lot different...
Well said Tom. I'd like the university to go back to those that disapprove of this needed investment and show them what it would cost the university, should the dome fail. Worst case scenario, the roof is unstable and all games need to be moved or canceled. Wonder what the bill from the ACC may be, or at the very least, the penalty. Now we have 10+ d1 teams and coaches, staff, athletic department, and 20 million or more less funding to close that budget. Literally catastrophic situation.

Fixing the dome is a non-starter. It has to happen. Especially since the freaking roof is running out of time, and the technology to support it no longer exists. Academics who want raises instead, make me furious. Do they realize SU is a NE university fighting for its' life to draw/lure students away from peer schools. Syracuse is unique because of its athletics. Need to keep that edge.

Last edited:
Well said Tom. I'd like the university to go back to those that disapprove of this needed investment and show them what it would cost the university, should the dome fail. Worst case scenario, the roof is unstable and all games need to be moved or canceled. Wonder the bill from the ACC may be, or at the very least, the penalty. Now we have 10+ d1 teams and coaches, staff, athletic department, and 20 million or more less funding to close that budget. Literally catastrophic situation.

Fixing the dome is a non-starter. It has to happen. Especially since the freaking roof is running out of time, and the technology to support it no longer exists. Academics who want raises instead, make me furious. Do they realize SU is a NE university fighting for its' life to draw/lure students away from peer schools. Syracuse is unique because of its athletics. Need to keep that edge.
And to the extent professors want raises, I'd suggest that 100% of it go to adjunct professors who nationally, are paid next to nothing.

“I like athletics,” Arnold said, “but it’s a financial burden on the university.”

I didn't even have to have that article written to know that'd be the prevailing theme. It's head scratching...

And it's an amortization of capex over a long period of time. It's not like it's a recurring expense. There are so many ding dongs on campus there though that I doubt they'll get that.

And to the extent professors want raises, I'd suggest that 100% of it go to adjunct professors who nationally, are paid next to nothing.
What does a professor like Arnold make? Just curious?

Tomcat pretty much says it all - the Dome is an economic engine for Syracuse University and CNY.

Making the investment is a clear necessity.

So they interviewed professors of history, geography and religion who seem not to understand economics and how the money brought in by athletics is funneled back into the university. OK.
Yeah I noticed no one from Whitman or Maxwell. Nice

Honestly, tickets sales, merchandise sales, parking and economic boost to the geographic region are the tangible monetary benefits of the athletic programs, but what about the marketing dollars that the school gets?

How much money would a 2-hour infomercial cost that was 50% about Syracuse University? And had the school represented on a screen with 1.5 million sets of eyeballs as the Louisville game did? How much exposure does the basketball team get when it goes to the Final Four? How many advertising dollars would need to be spent in order for Syracuse to get the kind of notoriety it gets from being on ESPN two times a week?

Certain people in academics think that the schools revolve around them and only them. And without anything else, Syracuse can compete against Harvard and Yale and Columbia and even Georgia Tech.

Those that think this way are completely delusional. Someone should do a case study or something about ROI as it relates not only to tangible revenues but to hidden cost benefits as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom