Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 108 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

This would be logical choice. Too much risk with weather to host outside. You would need a contingency backup plan and make the call the day before given crowd size.

Though the visual of hosting on Quad would be cool. But you’d have to protect the grass with that number of people.

SU will hopefully have good practice on protecting the grass when Gameday comes through :cool:

Use the OnCenter instead. It's very nice.
You need a big open area on the floor for all the grads to sit. The On Center certainly has that.

How big the the crowd for Commencement these days? I vaguely remember the crowd from when I graduated all those decades ago. It was in the Dome and I think it was in the 10K range. Maybe more. You would think most grads will have at least 2 people attending as guests. Some with a lot of friends or family could have considerably more.

Does the On Center even have permanent seating?

I would think the amphitheater could be a little problematic with grad seating. They would sit under the roof and probably take up all those seats. How many grads does SU typically have? 3K? Maybe more?

The crowd would probably have to sit on the lawn. This facility at least has the video screens and sound system so the crowd can hear and see the speakers.

The biggest downside is the lack of a roof for the crowd.

Assuming we need a venue that holds at least 10K, what other options are there nearby?

The Landmark is surely too small. As in the Civic Center. Maybe the War Memorial is large enough. I know it is used for HS graduations.

CNS is outdoors and probably too small. The AAA stadium has the capacity but would require putting a lot of seating on the field in the middle of the baseball season. Even if they used playwood or other temporary flooring, I would think the Mets would be against it. Probably not a viable option.

I think it comes down to the War Memorial, if it is big enough, or the amphitheatre.

You need a big open area on the floor for all the grads to sit. The On Center certainly has that.

How big the the crowd for Commencement these days? I vaguely remember the crowd from when I graduated all those decades ago. It was in the Dome and I think it was in the 10K range.

I would think the amphitheater could be a little problematic with grad seating. They would sit under the roof and probably take up all those seats. How many grads does SU typically have? 3K? Maybe more?

The crowd would probably have to sit on the lawn. This facility at least has the video screens and sound system so the crowd can hear and see the speakers.

Assuming we need a venue that holds at least 10K, what other options are there nearby?

The Landmark is surely too small. As in the Civic Center. Maybe the War Memorial is large enough. I know it is used for HS graduations.

CNS is outdoors and probably too small. The AAA stadium has the capacity but would require putting a lot of seating on the field in the middle of the baseball season. Even if they used playwood or other temporary flooring, I would think the Mets would be against it. Probably not a viable option.

I think it comes down to the War Memorial, if it is big enough, or the amphitheatre.

Maybe they'll move it to Met Life?

We must have been really backwards in the old days. With graduation on the Quad there was seating and a stage for the commencement speaker. The lawn was the floor. I do seem to recall that it was done by college.

UnknownOrange stated that graduation will be on the Quad. I have a feeling he knows and is correct.

The War Memorial is a dump.
Hey don’t tarnish the efforts of those veterans who lobbied so furiously to put the barn on the registry of historic places.

What options do we have to remove it from the registry? Tornado?

Hey don’t tarnish the efforts of those veterans who lobbied so furiously to put the barn on the registry of historic places.

What options do we have to remove it from the registry? Tornado?
My father was a WWII vet. he said he was ok with it being torn down and replaced with a more useful/larger arena.

SRC seats 6500, they have regional basketball there what does it seat for that?

We must have been really backwards in the old days. With graduation on the Quad there was seating and a stage for the commencement speaker. The lawn was the floor. I do seem to recall that it was done by college.

UnknownOrange stated that graduation will be on the Quad. I have a feeling he knows and is correct.
I don't doubt UnknownOrange, even though he or she is indeed unknown.

Just can't imagine how this could be done. When you had graduation on the Quad, was it done college by college so the seating requirements would be minimized?

I know graduation for SU in 1957 was held in Archbold. That was the one where JFK was the commencement speaker and made a famous speech. There were reportedly 6000 people there for that one.
It has been held at Archbold or the Dome as long as I can remember. Though in 1979, it was held in Manley Field House as the Dome was still being built. That year there were almost 5000 graduates. It must have been packed.

As the Centennial of JFK’s Birth Nears, Recalling His Stirring Commencement Address in Syracuse

Remember You named me a Twitter Wizard... I know who UnKnown is. ;)

And I recall it being done by College.
That must be the plan then.

I know if I were graduating, I would much rather have the ceremony on campus than in some impersonal place I might never have been before.

I like this approach and solution.

I will back track only the slightest on this. (Because it's SU - Is anything ever set in stone?)

I would say it's 90% happening on the quad as of today.

Other things being discussed will be other areas on campus, but I doubt this because of the history/scenery of the quad. I believe they discussed not doing the big ceremony and just doing the more personal convocations but I think that would rub people the wrong way.

I asked "What if it rains during the ceremony on the quad"

Lemoyne had it in the rain last year, lots of ponchos!

How big the the crowd for Commencement these days? I vaguely remember the crowd from when I graduated all those decades ago. It was in the Dome and I think it was in the 10K range. Maybe more. You would think most grads will have at least 2 people attending as guests. Some with a lot of friends or family could have considerably more.

The Expo Center (where Le Moyne is moving their commencement to this year) has a capacity of 8,000+. So I'd say it's probably between there and the War Memorial for the largest indoor venue in the area.

If they use the Amp; do they have to pay Live Nation for the space? Can they get all families and grads under the shed?

The Amp is owned by the county and managed by SMG. I'm guessing negotiations for the space would be handled by SMG.

I will back track only the slightest on this. (Because it's SU - Is anything ever set in stone?)

I would say it's 90% happening on the quad as of today.

Other things being discussed will be other areas on campus, but I doubt this because of the history/scenery of the quad. I believe they discussed not doing the big ceremony and just doing the more personal convocations but I think that would rub people the wrong way.

I asked "What if it rains during the ceremony on the quad"

Lemoyne had it in the rain last year, lots of ponchos!
Interesting. I agree that the ideal situation is to have all the schools together for the ceremony. To me, seeing them all, sitting together, was a special thing that conveyed how big and wide ranging the university is.

So the plan, as of today is to have 5000 graduates or so and 10000 guests or so all sitting together on the quad?

If they can pull it off, that would be awesome.

The Expo Center (where Le Moyne is moving their commencement to this year) has a capacity of 8,000+. So I'd say it's probably between there and the War Memorial for the largest indoor venue in the area.
I forgot about that facility. I heard it is very nice. That wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Interesting. I agree that the ideal situation is to have all the schools together for the ceremony. To me, seeing them all, sitting together, was a special thing that conveyed how big and wide ranging the university is.

So the plan, as of today is to have 5000 graduates or so and 10000 guests or so all sitting together on the quad?

I believe so, yes. If they can put a hockey rink, monster jam, concerts, and all the like inside the Dome - they'll absolutely find a way to make it work on the quad. The nice thing here too is you're working with University dollars and not just Dome dollars. It's the most important event for the University - they'll over prepare, especially with it being outdoors for the first time in... however many years.

I'm pretty sure that the OnCenter has greater capacity for an indoor event than the War Memorial does.

You are being redirected...

My husband tells me that his commencement ceremony, because of weather, was held in Manley. But then that was back when it was a BB Arena.
I guess they could hold commencement in the IPF if the weather was bad.

My husband tells me that his commencement ceremony, because of weather, was held in Manley. But then that was back when it was a BB Arena.

I think they skimped on egress doors for cost reasons so the building has a surprisingly low capacity. (I'm not offering any dollars to fix things, but it's a shame that the university wasn't able or willing to invest more to get more utility out of that over its life - a few million more dollars and it could've been a nice back-up lacrosse/commencement/event venue.)

My father was a WWII vet. he said he was ok with it being torn down and replaced with a more useful/larger arena.
I’ll never understand how city leadership allowed a few idiots to obstruct the building of a new facility. The war memorial facelift is lipstick on a pig.

I graduated in 1973 and it was planned for and held at Manley. Each grad was limited to three tickets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom