Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 110 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Heard last night in Chicago that there will be a major upgrade to the Manley Field House football complex in the very near future. This is a much needed project for the CUSE to compete with others in the ACC and fundraising for this project is currently underway with several major donors lining up to assist. According to my source, the CUSE lags behind every ACC school, except BC, in terms of football facilities and this will be addressed sooner than later.

Heard last night in Chicago that there will be a major upgrade to the Manley Field House football complex in the very near future. This is a much needed project for the CUSE to compete with others in the ACC and fundraising for this project is currently underway with several major donors lining up to assist. According to my source, the CUSE lags behind every ACC school, except BC, in terms of football facilities and this will be addressed sooner than later.

Are we talking about Manley Fieldhouse itself? With the IPF, what facilities are still used at Manley? Weight room? Locker rooms? Training facilities? Players lounge areas?

Are we talking about Manley Fieldhouse itself? With the IPF, what facilities are still used at Manley? Weight room? Locker rooms? Training facilities? Players lounge areas?
I would guess player lounges and locker rooms. A few insiders, players parents, have pointed out we're behind a number of non-P5 schools in this department.

Helipad

Looks like we're getting a new soccer field...

Ran by there a couple of weeks ago and noticed they were ripping up the field. Any plans for expanded seating or no? Seems like a wasted opportunity to be putting in a new field but not increasing capacity at the same time.

Ran by there a couple of weeks ago and noticed they were ripping up the field. Any plans for expanded seating or no? Seems like a wasted opportunity to be putting in a new field but not increasing capacity at the same time.

I think demand has shrunk. As noted before, SU planned to repurpose the stands from the old Vielbig track as part of a soccer expansion. Don't know what became of that idea. Would at least be nice to replace the ugly chain link fence in that end near the lawn seating and add some landscaping to replace the trees they cut down last year.

Every time this thread is bumped I'm hoping it's to announce that SU's Dome construction cam has gone live. They've got existing cameras on the roof of Sadler, Irving Garage, and the law school, not sure why they haven't jumped on this.

Cool so a lazy river and a miniature golf course?

I think demand has shrunk. As noted before, SU planned to repurpose the stands from the old Vielbig track as part of a soccer expansion. Don't know what became of that idea. Would at least be nice to replace the ugly chain link fence in that end near the lawn seating and add some landscaping to replace the trees they cut down last year.

Every time this thread is bumped I'm hoping it's to announce that SU's Dome construction cam has gone live. They've got existing cameras on the roof of Sadler, Irving Garage, and the law school, not sure why they haven't jumped on this.
Standby... :)

Glad to see them putting money into developing better facilities. They will pay dividends

Everything you mention will be in play.
Thanks for this information. Pleasantly surprised

Stadium Roof Project: Preliminary work has commenced for the roof project at the stadium. The contractor has mobilized to prepare a foundation pad for the crane on the west side of the building. Modifications to the pedestrian route from Sadler and Lawrinson halls to Main Campus have been established. Pedestrians should observe and follow signage. For additional information regarding the pedestrian route, visit http://facilities.syr.edu/closures.

I've been watching my share of the NBA playoffs, the relevance in regards to this thread has a couple of parallels, with naming rights being one of them. The building is now called (as of summer of '18) Scotiabank Area, after years of being called, Air Canada Centre. The naming rights deal is a whopping $40 million/year for 20 years, totalling $800 million dollars! Hmm, so much for there not being a lucrative market for the "renaming" of existing buildings, etc. as some have opined.

Additionally, I also noticed from watching playoff games here, that the upper level areas behind the baskets have these luxury type boxes, etc. They look as if they were added, and not part of the original design, but I may be incorrect. In any event, I'm wondering, since it has been mentioned here or one of these Dome renovation threads, if similar type boxes can be added at the 3rd level end zones (where there's that dead space) for lack of a better word, is at in future stages, etc.? Just an uninformed observation.

Also, Leo's still looking good and quite dapper doing his television broadcasting on Canada's Sportsnet. :)

Last edited:
One wonders if a very substantial donation by Carrier towards this project might be a subject of any ongoing discussions between them and the University.

One wonders if a very substantial donation by Carrier towards this project might be a subject of any ongoing discussions between them and the University.
Nice avatar. ;)

I've been watching my share of the NBA playoffs, the relevance in regards to this thread has a couple of parallels, with naming rights being one of them. The building is now called (as of summer of '18) Scotiabank Area, after years of being called, Air Canada Centre. The naming rights deal is a whopping $40 million/year for 20 years, totalling $800 million dollars! Hmm, so much for there not being a lucrative market for the "renaming" of existing buildings, etc. as some have opined.

Additionally, I also noticed from watching playoff games here, that the upper level areas behind the baskets have these luxury type boxes, etc. They look as if they were added, and not part of the original design, but I may be incorrect. In any event, I'm wondering, since it has been mentioned here or one of these Dome renovation threads, if similar type boxes can be added at the 3rd level end zones (where there's that dead space) for lack of a better word, is at in future stages, etc.? Just an uninformed observation.

Also, Leo's still looking good and quite dapper doing his television broadcasting on Canada's Sportsnet. :)

I'm frightened that we might wind up with the Fuccillo Dome:

I was glad to see Leo Rautins and Steve Kerr in the same place at the same time, you know, just to make sure:

Last edited:
Not a fair argument. The Raptors have been a winning/playoff team for quite some time. Toronto is the biggest city in Canada and growing faster than all but maybe one in North America (I have to check the crane index). With people like Drake courtside, it will draw eyes. Syracuse in all of these categories, not so much.

Not a fair argument. The Raptors have been a winning/playoff team for quite some time. Toronto is the biggest city in Canada and growing faster than all but maybe one in North America (I have to check the crane index). With people like Drake courtside, it will draw eyes. Syracuse in all of these categories, not so much.

Prior to the 2013-2014 season, the Raptors had only made the playoffs 5 times in their near 20 year existence at that point. Since the aforementioned season, the Raptors have made the playoffs the past 6 seasons, however, usually bowing out early. This is their first championship appearance in their history. Yes, they have had some success, but "quite some time" is quite subjective, and undoubtedly, Syracuse hoops has been more successful over a much longer period...now that is "quite some time."

That being said, yes Syracuse is no Toronto, which is an amazing city as you mention. And, though you can't compare the two (which I wasn't) Syracuse's games many times is broadcasted nationally, along with internationally at times. So, the Dome's presence is vast, and far more reaching than just the area's relatively smaller size. That is what make's the Dome's naming rights much more attractive, etc. for some company that wants to place their name on it. No doubt, it doesn't have anywhere near the potential or close to what Toronto's Scotiabank Arena is raking in, but I do think (IMO) there's a lot a cache and value it brings. That's the larger point I was attempting to make.

It is a well known/highly recognizable venue, and I would argue that from a blimp shot, etc. far more recognizable than the same shot of Scotiabank Arena (of course its name is now embedded on its roof, but if it wasn't is what I'm saying).

Prior to the 2013-2014 season, the Raptors had only made the playoffs 5 times in their near 20 year existence at that point. Since the aforementioned season, the Raptors have made the playoffs the past 6 seasons, however, usually bowing out early. This is their first championship appearance in their history. Yes, they have had some success, but "quite some time" is quite subjective, and undoubtedly, Syracuse hoops has been more successful over a much longer period...now that is "quite some time."

That being said, yes Syracuse is no Toronto, which is an amazing city as you mention. And, though you can't compare the two (which I wasn't) Syracuse's games many times is broadcasted nationally, along with internationally at times. So, the Dome's presence is vast, and far more reaching than just the area's relatively smaller size. That is what make's the Dome's naming rights much more attractive, etc. for some company that wants to place their name on it. No doubt, it doesn't have anywhere near the potential or close to what Toronto's Scotiabank Arena is raking in, but I do think (IMO) there's a lot a cache and value it brings. That's the larger point I was attempting to make.

It is a well known/highly recognizable venue, and I would argue that from a blimp shot, etc. far more recognizable than the same shot of Scotiabank Arena (of course its name is now embedded on its roof, but if it wasn't is what I'm saying).

This is an interesting article. Looks like it was more of a hockey decision.

Why Scotiabank paid $800M for naming rights to the Air Canada Centre

Everything you mention will be in play.
I hope so. It’s great to see meaningful money behind the program again, especially now that we have momentum.

Out of curiosity, Clemson and FSU aside, how far behind are we? I would have assumed that we were within striking distance of most schools now that we have the IPF.

Schools like Duke, Wake, and Pitt can’t possible be tangibly ahead of us, or are they?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom