Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 111 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

There's so much over-spending on facilities. How 'good' do ours have to be? Will "comparable to most" with a great coach and an exciting scheme be enough? or do the chandeliers in the weight room have to be bigger than anybody else's?

Prior to the 2013-2014 season, the Raptors had only made the playoffs 5 times in their near 20 year existence at that point. Since the aforementioned season, the Raptors have made the playoffs the past 6 seasons, however, usually bowing out early. This is their first championship appearance in their history. Yes, they have had some success, but "quite some time" is quite subjective, and undoubtedly, Syracuse hoops has been more successful over a much longer period...now that is "quite some time."

That being said, yes Syracuse is no Toronto, which is an amazing city as you mention. And, though you can't compare the two (which I wasn't) Syracuse's games many times is broadcasted nationally, along with internationally at times. So, the Dome's presence is vast, and far more reaching than just the area's relatively smaller size. That is what make's the Dome's naming rights much more attractive, etc. for some company that wants to place their name on it. No doubt, it doesn't have anywhere near the potential or close to what Toronto's Scotiabank Arena is raking in, but I do think (IMO) there's a lot a cache and value it brings. That's the larger point I was attempting to make.

It is a well known/highly recognizable venue, and I would argue that from a blimp shot, etc. far more recognizable than the same shot of Scotiabank Arena (of course its name is now embedded on its roof, but if it wasn't is what I'm saying).
Not picking a fight, but in many ways it’s apples and oranges. As others have said, it was a hockey decision, but either way, both of those teams get far better TV ratings over a much longer season than our hoops and football teams. The rising success of the Raptors only implies that will continue, and for a longer stint every year. In spite of all that, the naming issue is more the fact that Carrier already owns those rights in perpetuity, which is very different from the every 10-20 year agreement in the case of this or most other arenas. We are being punished if you will, for being one of the first. Carrier may feel they are getting a bargain deal and there is nothing but the goodness of their heart that can change that. Why agonize over it?

Not picking a fight, but in many ways it’s apples and oranges. As others have said, it was a hockey decision, but either way, both of those teams get far better TV ratings over a much longer season than our hoops and football teams. The rising success of the Raptors only implies that will continue, and for a longer stint every year. In spite of all that, the naming issue is more the fact that Carrier already owns those rights in perpetuity, which is very different from the every 10-20 year agreement in the case of this or most other arenas. We are being punished if you will, for being one of the first. Carrier may feel they are getting a bargain deal and there is nothing but the goodness of their heart that can change that. Why agonize over it?
We're not the Raptors but it's still an untenable situation. The parties are negotiating and hopefully a more balanced arrangement will come out of it. If not, there are many escape hatches ...

Last edited:
We're not the Raptors but it's still an untenable situation. The parties are negotiating and hopefully a more balanced arrangement will come out of it. If not, there are many escape hatches ...
I hope you are right

No worries. I understand it's Canada, where hockey...and beer run supreme. :) The intent of my original post wasn't to imply that the Dome was on the same plane as Toronto's venue and all that that encompasses, as much as the point that an existing building being "renamed" has significant value of sorts. We've had quite a few discussions in several of these Dome threads regarding this matter...it will be interesting to see how it ultimately plays out.

In my opinion, Carrier's donation at the time was a "gift" (not "naming rights") and a contribution to the local community/area in which they had a significant presence at the time. That was the derived intent/spirit of their generosity, not one of advertising, marketing brand, increasing revenue, etc., which is the intent/spirit of today's naming rights. Ideally, the parties will reach an agreement moving forward they can both live with and feel good about, as litigating the matter will be costly, with uncertainties. However, the law is on the side of what was the original intent and spirit of the agreement, and I think in that case it favors SU, since "naming rights" as we know it today, didn't exist then and wasn't the true intent of Carrier's "gift."

Raytheon and United Technologies are looking to merge.

Right, but I don't believe Carrier will be a part of that merger, as UTC announced last fall that they were spinning off the Carrier and Otis Elevator business into separate businesses.

Right, but I don't believe Carrier will be a part of that merger, as UTC announced last fall that they were spinning off the Carrier and Otis Elevator business into separate businesses.
And that's probably why they are spinning off those businesses. I was answering why Toga said the Raytheon Dome...likely tongue in cheek.

Don’t think so

Barnes Center at the Arch supposed to open by September. Not sure they will make it.

Moves are being done in stages. First move in is 3rd week of July for a third of the building. Most are expected to be moved in when classes start.

Taken from Nunes contributor Kevin Wall's twitter page

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom