Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Totally agree. I graduated from Mercer in 1998 and only recently started giving $250 year a couple years ago. The very next year after my first donation, they were calling and emailing like I was Bill Gates throwing money around.

So, ...uh,...MSO, ...how would like your name on ... for a small nominal donation of only $XXX,XXX...

So, ...uh,...MSO, ...how would like your name on ... for a small nominal donation of only $XXX,XXX...

Ragman2000 already has naming rights dibs on the pee troughs. That would be the only thing I'm interested in.

But seriously, I do donate $500 to Syracuse athletics every year. Not enough to get my name on anything :) but at least I feel like I'm doing what I can to be part of the solution from way out here in Kansas City.

I don't believe this for a minute. I know so many alumni(alumnae) who absolutely loved their time on the hill and readily tell you tales from the time they were there. What I do sadly believe is there is a disconnect with the administration regarding gift giving. I've also heard that they feel only big time donors are appreciated or even wanted. It seems that there have been many changes over the years in personnel, policies and strategies too. Difficult to make a consistent and meaningful relationship with alumni if small donations are ignored , pleas are disjointed, not coordinated so it's easy to see when alumni can donate larger amounts they look to organizations that seem more appreciative, where they currently feel they have a personal relationship with as the years go by. Hopefully this is all being understood and addressed. I don't believe for a minute that it has anything to do with dissatisfaction with their time at the school itself.

I get solicited by my high school for donations on a regular basis -- never get a phone call from Syracuse...maybe they wait so many years but you'd think these days they could track things much better with LinkedIn and various other methods in terms of who to target and not target. I know they employ students to call people and get money...heck there's outsourced companies that do it (including one based in Rochester)...

I get solicited by my high school for donations on a regular basis -- never get a phone call from Syracuse...maybe they wait so many years but you'd think these days they could track things much better with LinkedIn and various other methods in terms of who to target and not target. I know they employ students to call people and get money...heck there's outsourced companies that do it (including one based in Rochester)...

Most likely, they do not have your updated contact information. Otherwise, believe me, they would be contacting you.

Most likely, they do not have your updated contact information. Otherwise, believe me, they would be contacting you.

they send me invitations to Homecoming and the quarterly magazine...they know how to get a hold of me thanks to my wife (also a Cuse alum). pretty sure they send us valentine's day cards too. they just strangely never call. Maybe they eliminate the low paid majors (journalism) from those calls.

they send me invitations to Homecoming and the quarterly magazine...they know how to get a hold of me thanks to my wife (also a Cuse alum). pretty sure they send us valentine's day cards too. they just strangely never call. Maybe they eliminate the low paid majors (journalism) from those calls.

Hmm not familiar with SU's phonathon program, but perhaps they only target certain people with certain characteristics for their calling. Could just be that you don't fall into whatever segments they target.

Ragman2000 already has naming rights dibs on the pee troughs. That would be the only thing I'm interested in.

But seriously, I do donate $500 to Syracuse athletics every year. Not enough to get my name on anything :) but at least I feel like I'm doing what I can to be part of the solution from way out here in Kansas City.

Not matter the project or task, the big donor (big name, big money) will get the lion's share of the credit while it is the masses that will do the heavy lifting (or giving, or work). Every little bit helps and no gift to the future of an entity in which you believe is too small. We may not be flashy, draw attention or get a lot of recognition, but en masse, we can get a lot accomplished!

P.S. I made the post (#501) in jest. You are a great poster and Orange fan, no offense was intended (not that I think you were offended, but I re-read my post and it wasn't as funny as it was the first go-round).

P.P.S. *^%#& Ragman2000, we all wanted naming rights to the pee troughs! ;)

IMO. the SU alumni don't give like the alumni at other schools because of their view of their relationship to the University versus the views of the alumni of schools where the percentage of alumni giving is very high.

Generally SU alums don't view their time "on the Hill" as being the greatest, most important times of their life.

I've never met an Ivy Leaguer, who didn't manage to tell me in the first 5 minutes of any conversation where they didn't tell me overtly or subtly where they went to school. I have never been to the home of a Duke, UVA, or UNC grad where there was't some visible evidence of where the couple went to school.

These people are connected to their schools.

You'd have to do a very thorough search of our house to figure out where I went to school. And it's the same with people I know that went to most schools. They aren't really connected and when the mailers come in the mail looking for money, they are added to the pile of others looking for "support".
I have degrees from both Syracuse and Duke and I display memorabilia from both! :)

Half the time you read Townie's posts one would think he's a Georgetown grad. I get the frustration with Cantor/Gross, but Cantor hasn't even been in charge for 4 years.
shaw was there and he was useless.

Not matter the project or task, the big donor (big name, big money) will get the lion's share of the credit while it is the masses that will do the heavy lifting (or giving, or work). Every little bit helps and no gift to the future of an entity in which you believe is too small. We may not be flashy, draw attention or get a lot of recognition, but en masse, we can get a lot accomplished!

P.S. I made the post (#501) in jest. You are a great poster and Orange fan, no offense was intended (not that I think you were offended, but I re-read my post and it wasn't as funny as it was the first go-round).

P.P.S. *^%#& Ragman2000, we all wanted naming rights to the pee troughs! ;)

Trust me - no offense taken at all. You are a great poster yourself.

I do think the post-2000 alums seem to have more school pride. Just from observing them. Don't know if that's because of basketball or what. Ironically, the academics went down then.

Talk about a major flip flop...

Hearing now we are still in for a renovation just not as expansive or all at once as we all hoped for or what info was released so far. Might have to be done more in phases. How? Supposedly using unexpected ACC TV money but also how much can be raised through normal fundraising. Main focus and #1 goal is to have enough funding to replace the fabric roof with hard roof, led lighting & sound - and get this direct quote, "we are not going to kick the can down the road" and the fabric roof replacement option "is only a last resort".

Other phases would be paint, seating, boxes, lockers & such can be done earlier or later depends upon ACC TV money streams and general fundraising. No changes to widening of walkways, walls, pee troughs, signs, scoreboards or any other structural changes other than roof (unless NY kicks in extra but less and less likely anymore).

2 to 3 years out but no idea on formal announcement.
I guess this means we can say adios to Dino in a few years. I'm guessing he was made some promises about improvements when he joined.

No changes to widening of walkways, walls, pee troughs, signs, scoreboards or any other structural changes other than roof
Give me wider concourses over new paint and seating. The dome is a fire code disaster waiting to happen at halftime of any well-attended game. Someone needs to tell Joanie to get the job done. If she can get millions of dollars for backwater solvay and geddes then she has Andy's ear.

Give me wider concourses over new paint and seating. The dome is a fire code disaster waiting to happen at halftime of any well-attended game. Someone needs to tell Joanie to get the job done. If she can get millions of dollars for backwater solvay and geddes then she has Andy's ear.

I agree that congested concourses are the biggest issue. With bathrooms,some beer kiosks , corner food concession stands , club 44, SU store and stairways etc on the outside wall side coupled with other large food, clothing concessions and field/court entrances being on the inside wall , the entire flow is impeded, with crowds criss-crossing a skinny corridor.It's crowded and very confusing particularly for new attendees, those with children and the elderly.

IMO. the SU alumni don't give like the alumni at other schools because of their view of their relationship to the University versus the views of the alumni of schools where the percentage of alumni giving is very high.

Generally SU alums don't view their time "on the Hill" as being the greatest, most important times of their life.

I've never met an Ivy Leaguer, who didn't manage to tell me in the first 5 minutes of any conversation where they didn't tell me overtly or subtly where they went to school. I have never been to the home of a Duke, UVA, or UNC grad where there was't some visible evidence of where the couple went to school.

These people are connected to their schools.

You'd have to do a very thorough search of our house to figure out where I went to school. And it's the same with people I know that went to most schools. They aren't really connected and when the mailers come in the mail looking for money, they are added to the pile of others looking for "support".
Wouldn't have to look hard at mine...

Are you real?

i considered my seasons tickets plus donation that i had for years adequate enough, until i cancelled them a couple of years ago.
i am not an alum but was a proud townie. su was the face of the city something everyone could point to.
not so much anymore. most of the fannies in the seats are probably more townies than not, particularly in the days past when we were respectable.
su has been mismanaged academically, growth wise as well as football. sorry to hear the stories re alumni relationships--that is sad.
obviously the upside has been the recent improvement in facilities for football. the saber rattling by the chancellor re academics, possible med school, trying to improve the law school and hopefully a major upgrade to the "hard science" research and engineering aspects of the university is encouraging. ---i sincerely hope that he is successful,particularly in the latter.
the true loss, for me anyway, is the pride the community took in the program,the university and the camaraderie that was fostered around sports.
i think the building (and continuing) evolution of the amphitheater has been a welcomed addition to cny,despite the naysayers, and the usual " why we can't types". it is one of civic pride and progress that the city needs.
i liked the idea we are not the "big time " programs of the vein of big 10,pac 10, sec etc. there was always some thing inviting about having a warm, kind of familiarity that was welcoming about being a small community, involved with something we were proud of. this is important for the city and environs.
i would like to see the football program flourish with the hope in doing so would help funding for research and academics, as well re-establish a relationship with the community that imho has been disenfranchised.

I guess this means we can say adios to Dino in a few years. I'm guessing he was made some promises about improvements when he joined.

The biggest issue for Dino, since this has been in more public circles now (couldn't openly share before), is having a private jet service available to connect and visit with more recruits per recruiting period since so much time is lost in airport connections via SYR airport. It is a common piece to recruiting with other P5 schools - it's not a benefit more of a major strategic disadvantage. I think they may have raised enough funding for this too but CL should be able to tell us during the next major recruiting cycle.

From what I'm told Dino prefers the Dome as is even better without air conditioning. I think he actually likes a Dome'd environment most of all due to the passing attack advantage it has over weather interference of an open environment.

Wouldn't have to look hard at mine...

Are you real?

How much do you donate to SU each year as a percentage of your gross income?

Or do you expect the amount of royalties the University gets on all that spirit gear and stuff to suffice.

i considered my seasons tickets plus donation that i had for years adequate enough, until i cancelled them a couple of years ago.
i am not an alum but was a proud townie. su was the face of the city something everyone could point to.
not so much anymore. most of the fannies in the seats are probably more townies than not, particularly in the days past when we were respectable.
su has been mismanaged academically, growth wise as well as football. sorry to hear the stories re alumni relationships--that is sad.
obviously the upside has been the recent improvement in facilities for football. the saber rattling by the chancellor re academics, possible med school, trying to improve the law school and hopefully a major upgrade to the "hard science" research and engineering aspects of the university is encouraging. ---i sincerely hope that he is successful,particularly in the latter.
the true loss, for me anyway, is the pride the community took in the program,the university and the camaraderie that was fostered around sports.
i think the building (and continuing) evolution of the amphitheater has been a welcomed addition to cny,despite the naysayers, and the usual " why we can't types". it is one of civic pride and progress that the city needs.
i liked the idea we are not the "big time " programs of the vein of big 10,pac 10, sec etc. there was always some thing inviting about having a warm, kind of familiarity that was welcoming about being a small community, involved with something we were proud of. this is important for the city and environs.
i would like to see the football program flourish with the hope in doing so would help funding for research and academics, as well re-establish a relationship with the community that imho has been disenfranchised.

No doubt about it. It's the "townies" that buy the seats. But it's the alumni that make the donations.

At other school's this is largely the same group.

That's the SU conundrum. They want the alumni to donate so that the "townies" can have AC and seat backs and more civilized Men's room facilities.

Se the problem?

No doubt about it. It's the "townies" that buy the seats. But it's the alumni that make the donations.

At other school's this is largely the same group.

That's the SU conundrum. They want the alumni to donate so that the "townies" can have AC and seat backs and more civilized Men's room facilities.

Se the problem?

The school isn't looking to it's donor list to fix up the Dome.

But the issue is similar - the state legislature isn't stacked with Cuse alumni like you'd find in MD, VA, NC, etc...

The biggest issue for Dino, since this has been in more public circles now (couldn't openly share before), is having a private jet service available to connect and visit with more recruits per recruiting period since so much time is lost in airport connections via SYR airport. It is a common piece to recruiting with other P5 schools - it's not a benefit more of a major strategic disadvantage. I think they may have raised enough funding for this too but CL should be able to tell us during the next major recruiting cycle.

From what I'm told Dino prefers the Dome as is even better without air conditioning. I think he actually likes a Dome'd environment most of all due to the passing attack advantage it has over weather interference of an open environment.

This sounds like a no brainer...anyone have any idea on how much more this would cost compared to their current travel costs? With all of the ACC money you would think we could easily afford it.

The school isn't looking to it's donor list to fix up the Dome.

But the issue is similar - the state legislature isn't stacked with Cuse alumni like you'd find in MD, VA, NC, etc...

Yes.

UVA is probably a better example than UMCP. It's considered by the majority of Virginians to be the shining symbol of the State and a source of State pride. The school produces an out-sized number of lawyers, who go on to be politicians. So, as you point out, Virginia politics is dominated by UVa people.

Except for those noisy engineers at VT, who did force the Governor to influence UVA's vote on ACC expansion.

My two cents fwiw (and I don't live in Syracuse or attend games at the dome)... the dome is probably fine as is from a structure to play games in. I don't think players give two sh!ts about the dome amenities for fans as long as there are a lot fannies in the seats and they are loud. I think players probably care more about the stuff they use like the locker room, training facilities and their housing so if I wanted the most recruiting bang for my renovations buck I would focus on those and only do what is needed to keep the Dome at least an average place to play games. I don't think they need to replace or drastically rebuild the dome.

Rebuilding the dome is more of a statement on the fan experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom