Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

My two cents fwiw (and I don't live in Syracuse or attend games at the dome)... the dome is probably fine as is from a structure to play games in. I don't think players give two sh!ts about the dome amenities for fans as long as there are a lot fannies in the seats and they are loud. I think players probably care more about the stuff they use like the locker room, training facilities and their housing so if I wanted the most recruiting bang for my renovations buck I would focus on those and only do what is needed to keep the Dome at least an average place to play games. I don't think they need to replace or drastically rebuild the dome.

Rebuilding the dome is more of a statement on the fan experience.

However, as a counter-point, recruits/players also don't want to play in a game day environment where the stadium is half-empty and has a dead atmosphere. I think that carries a good amount of weight as well.

My two cents fwiw (and I don't live in Syracuse or attend games at the dome)... the dome is probably fine as is from a structure to play games in. I don't think players give two sh!ts about the dome amenities for fans as long as there are a lot fannies in the seats and they are loud. I think players probably care more about the stuff they use like the locker room, training facilities and their housing so if I wanted the most recruiting bang for my renovations buck I would focus on those and only do what is needed to keep the Dome at least an average place to play games. I don't think they need to replace or drastically rebuild the dome.

Rebuilding the dome is more of a statement on the fan experience.
I think you're right. I would do two things first (mind you I am not a structural engineer or interior designer) put a hard roof on, that would someday allow for a huge scoreboard to be centered, and perhaps some natural light, and put actual orange seats with backs in the place. Realize that it will cut down on capacity and tick some people off, but at least it will change the TV view. Locker-rooms etc, can be spruced up I think without too much money. Better layout, new carpet, lights, done.

Last edited:
The Dome and "The Fan Experience" and the impact of it on crowd size and enthusiasm?

Why is it that the Dome is such bad experience for the football crowds, but we are either #1 or #2 in basketball attendance every year.

This is the same Dome. The same parking. The same rest rooms. The same concessions. The same locker rooms.

And the weather is worse during basketball season. Games are frequently on week nights. And it is a facility designed for football in which the basketball court was kind of jury-rigged into.

The answer of course is the quality of the product on the field.

If I were in charge at SU I wouldn't spend a single dollar on anything that doesn't directly impact the quality of the product on the field. To the extent that facilities directly affects that, I'd be OK with it.

Once everything related to the product was fully-funded, I'd then worry about amenities like seat backs. The basketball attendance proves that these things aren't needed to draw big crowds.

The Dome and "The Fan Experience" and the impact of it on crowd size and enthusiasm?

Why is it that the Dome is such bad experience for the football crowds, but we are either #1 or #2 in basketball attendance every year.

This is the same Dome. The same parking. The same rest rooms. The same concessions. The same locker rooms.

And the weather is worse during basketball season. Games are frequently on week nights. And it is a facility designed for football in which the basketball court was kind of jury-rigged into.

If I were in charge at SU I wouldn't spend a single dollar on anything that doesn't directly impact the quality of the product on the field. To the extent that facilities directly affects that, I'd be OK with it.

Once everything related to the product was fully-funded, I'd then worry about amenities like seat backs. The basketball attendance proves that these things aren't needed to draw big crowds.
While I mostly agree...I'd rather set targets in both areas so when they are winning, the fans are comfortable... and all is great...instead of fans wait another 5 years.

How much do you donate to SU each year as a percentage of your gross income?

Or do you expect the amount of royalties the University gets on all that spirit gear and stuff to suffice.
I donate a fixed amount to the schools I went to on an annual basis. It increases every year. What's your point?

This sounds like a no brainer...anyone have any idea on how much more this would cost compared to their current travel costs? With all of the ACC money you would think we could easily afford it.
Harrison Ford would come cheap.

Harrison Ford would come cheap.

As long as Dino isn't picky about landing on the right runway or that other silly safety stuff.

i find myself in violent agreement with your post.

someone mentioned this earlier. They now have so much crap in the concourses, it's nearly impossible to walk. 30 years ago, they did not have anywhere near the number of mobile carts/concessions and the concourses certainly felt more open. At least I wasn't bumping into someone standing in a line when I walked down the middle of a concourse. They create a "choke" point at almost every stairway up to second levels with all the stuff they jam in the corners. Could the concourses be wider? for sure, but there a number of things that could be done to mitigate the congested concourse issue prior to rebuilding the place.

Last edited:
someone mentioned this earlier. They now have so much crap in the concourses, it's nearly impossible to walk. 30 years ago, they did not have anywhere near the number of mobile carts/concessions and the concourses certainly felt more open. At least I wasn't bumping into someone standing in a line when I walked down the middle of a concourse. They create a "choke" point at almost every stairway up to second levels with all the stuff they jam in the corners. Could the concourses be wider? for sure, but there a number of things that could be down to mitigate the congested concourse issue prior to rebuilding the place.
Maybe more old school vendors throwing hot dogs and peanuts at you from 30 feet away. Especially during half time. Serious.

you guys miss a critical point with the basketball vs football argument. Cuse doesnt average 33k+ for basketball but it does for football. if you have congestion problems with that number of people, how bad will it be for fans in a packed house?

you guys miss a critical point with the basketball vs football argument. Cuse doesnt average 33k+ for basketball but it does for football. if you have congestion problems with that number of people, how bad will it be for fans in a packed house?
Didn't miss anything. Widening corridors is part of the reno. We have had packed houses even with the current dome and while it is congested and hot, it works ok. "Congestion" is the least of our worries.

However, as a counter-point, recruits/players also don't want to play in a game day environment where the stadium is half-empty and has a dead atmosphere. I think that carries a good amount of weight as well.
Yeah but you don't nee to build a brand new stadium to get butts in the seats... as a number of people have pointed out they have no problem getting people in for hoops games because the product is that much better. There are definitely structural changes that could/should be made to improve fan improvement but if you build a new stadium and the athlete facilities still stink then guess what you'll just have a bad team playing in an awesome stadium and attendance will still suck.

Just win baby.

how can you be in debt? every college financial aid person i have talked with says its the parents who are paying for kids college bills.

My parents haven't contributed a dime to my loans, nor do I expect them to. I took out the loans so that I could go to SU so I'm responsible for them. Although my income has greatly increased since graduating, I don't feel comfortable yet making a monthly donation to SU.

Regarding SU alumni not having a positive experience on the Hill, that couldn't be further from the truth. Everyone that I know, myself included, has nothing but great things to say about SU. We're still young and don't have that expendable income that older alumni in their prime earning years have.

Quick and simple in response to couple of your questions:
SU is missing out on many of the grant opportunities due to the lack of many true research programs especially in theoretical science and applied science and engineering. Syverud has singled this issue out as a growth target, and is maybe only second to the VA centric med school (which would also be flush with federal grant opportunities). I think this appetite comes from his experience at Michigan. The new provost is a biologist and a well regarded research advocate. The new CFO is from Carnegie Mellon who is on par with Stanford for patents and entrepreneurial grants and "income". To me, the writing is on the wall with regard to the desired direction. A new academic building would be a science or engineering research facility, something I do not believe truly exists at SU now.

40 Colleges Spending the Most on Research & Development in 2016

Build me a research facility and I'll come run the heck out of it. Besides drinking, managing research projects is the only thing I'm good at. NIH will be begging SU to take their monies.

Last edited:
My parents haven't contributed a dime to my loans, nor do I expect them to. I took out the loans so that I could go to SU so I'm responsible for them. Although my income has greatly increased since graduating, I don't feel comfortable yet making a monthly donation to SU.

Regarding SU alumni not having a positive experience on the Hill, that couldn't be further from the truth. Everyone that I know, myself included, has nothing but great things to say about SU. We're still young and don't have that expendable income that older alumni in their prime earning years have.
that was my point.. when i discuss financial aid with schools for my kids they all base the package of my income yet like most families the kids are taking out loans so parents income has little to do with anything. Like most of us have 50K a year to throw at the issue.

Hungry Chuck's
10 hrs ·
Moving to a new spot for Class of 2018.
Apparently we’ve worn out our welcome…
Leaving current location on 4/20.

Party schedule to come out shortly!

Aren't all stadiums congested when you get a full house?

I have never been to one where that wasn't true. It's hard to move 50,000 people into and out of a single venue which has controlled access so they can collect tickets.

The DOME ain't the problem.

Hungry Chuck's
10 hrs ·
Moving to a new spot for Class of 2018.
Apparently we’ve worn out our welcome…
Leaving current location on 4/20.

Party schedule to come out shortly!

Wonder where. Bruegger's?

My hunch is that this guy screws up the liquor license or something like that and we never hear from Chuck's under this ownership again.

Wonder where. Bruegger's?

My hunch is that this guy screws up the liquor license or something like that and we never hear from Chuck's under this ownership again.

Hmm yeah, good question. Can't really think of any other space up there that could accommodate them.

I might be in the minority but I have no issue with the dome. All I want is to see wins. Would it be nice to have a renovation with neat stuff? of course, but winning cures everything. If you had to pick between paying Dino and doing renovation, pay dino and his assistants first.

As I feel myself getting older and less mobile, going to games at the Dome in person has less and less appeal. Walking up that hill from Marshall St, and then all the way up to seats near the top of the Dome has me so damn tired by the time the game starts that I need oxygen. Bench seating with winter coats - ugh. Crappy concession food and expensive beer, with my selections near my seats all consisting of crappy light beers. Sucks getting older, but the game experience at home is getting to be better than in person.

the world has changed including the business of college football ---which is a business. it is an income producing investment----just like our hoops program.

But they're not treating it that way. They are on the right track with the coach and the style of play, but the gameday experience, ease and comfort of getting to and enjoying the game all require improvement and investment before they lose more fans in my age bracket.

You may not care about concessions but many people do, especially the fringe fan that is there more for the experience than the actual game. SU's concessions are laughably bad when compared with most other arenas that I have been to.

Most times, the hot dogs aren't even cooked. The food is awful, although I hear that some of the concessions on the lower level are actually pretty good.

View attachment 94423 I know I've harped on this before, but look out dead horse.

Google image search any MAJOR COLLEGE FOOTBALL schools' stadium. Bama, Ohio state, Michigan, ucla, USC, notre Dame and countless others have benches. Some have troughs. None have a roof. Many of which are pushing 80-90 years old (yes I know there have been upgrades) and the Dome we frequent is a whopping 37 years old? If anyone suggested replacing notre Dame's stadium they'd be hanged in front of town hall.
Who the hell are we to say we aren't coming because of the seats? We have an amazing venue that is my favorite place to be outside of the comfort of my own home.
I would love upgrades, but I'll never stop going. If it makes you feel any better, think how far the Dome has come since day one.

The problem is not the age, per se, it's the design. Too little space in the corridors for the number of fans. Too little seating area for big fat fannies and winter coats. Not enough bathrooms, difficulty of movement in the hallways at halftime, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom