Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Gosh I moved away 30 years ago and even then, the WAM was getting old and not very nice.
I don't think the County Legislature or County Executive want to put any money into the building because it is so old and needs replacement so badly.

But no one wants to take the lead on a project to replace the War Memorial either, and face the wrath of the veterans.

So people in CNY are stuck with an undersized, obsolete mess of a building for sporting events, mid-sized concerts, etc. Like they have been for 30 years...

I don't think the County Legislature or County Executive want to put any money into the building because it is so old and needs replacement so badly.

But no one wants to take the lead on a project to replace the War Memorial either, and face the wrath of the veterans.

So people in CNY are stuck with an undersized, obsolete mess of a building for sporting events, mid-sized concerts, etc. Like they have been for 30 years...

They need to approach the Veterans with facts (as have been identified several times), let the Veterans know they want a War Memorial and then ask for their input. Not everyone will be pleased but most people will realize the War Memorial is outdated and needs too many repairs to be efficiently, effectively and financially completed. Preserving the history is easy enough, there are so many options to incorporate the history. The facility side is the problem.

They broke ground for the veterans administration building. :)
Which by the way appeared to be featured the most in the latest framework document and looks pretty cool.

I like the use of wood on the inside and outside of the building, the cool curves and basically everything about it.

With all the emphasis SU is placing on serving the medical needs of veterans, one would think they might be conducive to working with the county/state on a replacement for the War Memorial, where all interested parties share in the cost of building the new facility and then the use of it.

Just a thought.

Not for nothing, but I really like the War Memorial.

Some of the criticism is valid, but it's a neat old building. Modern mid-sized arenas are a dime a dozen, but our community's old hockey arena has a ton of character and it's a decent place to watch a game. Unusually tight in the concourses, sure, and without a lot of the revenue-generating stuff that an owner would like, but I enjoy the game experience there. The county's addressing some concerns in its new capital plan, and I hope all parties can work to improve what can be improved while keeping the general atmosphere (including the memorial itself) intact.

Looking in from the outside (Chicago), this stadium deal is becoming an embarrassment to SU, especially the football team. Other schools have been upgrading their football stadiums and many have had zero issues but not with our admin & county govt. Even though I enjoy coming to the hill twice a year for home games, the Dome is definitely in need of major upgrades to allow Cuse to compete in the ACC and keep Babers intact. Enough is enough and pls do something NOW for the Dome and War Memorial, before the Crunch relocates. BTW - I love the look of Friends Stadium in Stockholm, Sweden if you haven't seen yet and it would be perfect for Syracuse and its fickle weather.

Which by the way appeared to be featured the most in the latest framework document and looks pretty cool.

I like the use of wood on the inside and outside of the building, the cool curves and basically everything about it.

With all the emphasis SU is placing on serving the medical needs of veterans, one would think they might be conducive to working with the county/state on a replacement for the War Memorial, where all interested parties share in the cost of building the new facility and then the use of it.

Just a thought.

A good thought, too.

Last edited:
Well, here was the most interesting tidbit from the latest Syracuse.com article:

"In regards to the Dome Project, the University has undertaken planning, scoping, and design work leading to further refinement and enhancement based on the concepts announced last year. We expect to update the campus community on this project during the next year."

Well, here was the most interesting tidbit from the latest Syracuse.com article:

"In regards to the Dome Project, the University has undertaken planning, scoping, and design work leading to further refinement and enhancement based on the concepts announced last year. We expect to update the campus community on this project during the next year."

Unfortunately "update" could mean a wide range of things. "Hey the update is we are still figuring this complex thing out, its so dang complex" Once the money is in place we will see the update we want to see.

A well needed change is currently underway

For such a complex project as the Dome renovation does it make sense to project manage in house? I know that there have been references to design firms being engaged but it seems like the overall project management should be a full time job overseen by a dedicated PM rather than something Pete does on the side. Could be an in house temporary assignment with backfill of existing duties or an outside hire or consultant and as far as we know it may already be in place but publicizing an assignment such as this shows things are indeed moving forward.

Just a renovation. Poorly-written article. It's also not on West Campus.

I consider that west campus. It's not a complete rebuild but it's such a major renovation it might as well be. Everything is being gutted and I think they may be adding a floor and glass exterior.

I consider that west campus. It's not a complete rebuild but it's such a major renovation it might as well be. Everything is being gutted and I think they may be adding a floor and glass exterior.

If they stick with the original mock ups I saw - it will be connected to the dome. However that may have been a 'dome' project and may come later (or never)

If they stick with the original mock ups I saw - it will be connected to the dome. However that may have been a 'dome' project and may come later (or never)

Last I heard it's not currently in the plan but could go back in. Was supposed to be connected to also allow for more healthy eating options for dome events.

Last I heard it's not currently in the plan but could go back in. Was supposed to be connected to also allow for more healthy eating options for dome events.

I hope it goes back in. I know there was discussion for creating spaces for classrooms during the day and selling them as entertainment options during football & basketball (even though it'd be out of sight for basketball). Would be huge to be able to sell those

My experience with P3's is not I think would be in the best interest of SU or the sports that are played there. P3's put the developer in the driver's seat as the client. They steer everything to their advantage (meaning cheapest, easiest to maintain or replace, and best suited to using however they see fit). That means the facility will not be cutting edge, or create the best venue for watching SU football or basketball, rather it will be the best means to getting the most income and income streams for the development/management company. AEG is a fine company and good choice if going that way, but that way may not be best for what we want. The Prudential Center in Newark is a good example. It is an AEG facility and one of if not the busiest facilities in the country. A friend of mine and an SU grad who is now GM of the Milwaukee Bucks facility was instrumental in its design and he was in communication with Coyle when this conversation first got underway. That said, IMO "the Rock" is designed for maximum flexibility and not maximum experience or environment.
It all depends on how the RFQ/RFP is put forth. SU/Onondaga County/NY State (whoever will be the ultimate owner is putting the project out to bid) can put in as many demands/requirements for the construction and concession contract as they want. If bidders can't work with the requirements, they don't bid or they carve out items in their bid with the understanding that it might hurt them, particularly if other bidders will comply. For example, you can stipulate that design creativity will be more or less heavily weighted than, say schedule flexibility, or some other criteria. There are lots of ways to get a good product - it's not always just a cost and time compromise.

Not for nothing, but I really like the War Memorial.

Some of the criticism is valid, but it's a neat old building. Modern mid-sized arenas are a dime a dozen, but our community's old hockey arena has a ton of character and it's a decent place to watch a game. Unusually tight in the concourses, sure, and without a lot of the revenue-generating stuff that an owner would like, but I enjoy the game experience there. The county's addressing some concerns in its new capital plan, and I hope all parties can work to improve what can be improved while keeping the general atmosphere (including the memorial itself) intact.
I have been to hundreds of games there over the years and agree it is a good place to watch a game. The seats are right on top of the ice. They are small, uncomfortable and too close to the row in front, so my knees are jammed into the back of the seat in front of me, but the sightlines are excellent.

If there are 10 criteria I have as a fan for an arena, they get a great grade on one or two. The rest are all awful. I want comfortable seats with leg room. I want good and varied food and drink choices. I want clean, well lit bathrooms where I have minimal to no waiting time. I want open and wide concourses where it is easy to get around and you can stretch your legs and still have an idea what is happening. I want a scoreboard that shows clear replays of controversial plays. I want a restaurant where I can sit down, have a bite to eat and watch the game. In short, I want what everyone seems to have everywhere except in Syracuse.

Syracuse's War Memorial shows its scars: Why can't we be like Utica?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom