Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

I got excited for a moment when I'd seen a few more page to this thread in a day or so hoping to see something of substance relative to the Dome reno...then buzz kill with all this FF4 Dome fantasy dreamin'...

They still have to iron out the Uber/Airport details. Not sure that is going to happen by midnight tonight - but Im sure it will soon enough. Long before any Final 4 is played here.

Lyft has it worked out, but apparently still waiting on Uber you are right there.

I totally agree, Minneapolis is a great goal to get syracuse to. I'm there a few times of year and it's a great city. Always construction going on, downtown is clean and improving all the time, mall of America is busting at the seems, and the airport is easy to get in and out of. Highways are like Rochester with the loops so moving around town is a breeze. Syracuse should look to them and see how they are making it work. People complain about how cold Syracuse is well it's like a tropical paradise compared to Minnesota. My last winter trip there it was -40 temp plus a 30 mph wind. Now that's cold.

Syracuse as Minneapolis?

Sure, why not?

Let's transport Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Iowa to surround Syracuse so that it can be the hub city for these agrarian States.

This is a matter of basic economics. The Upper Midwest, of which MLPS is the de facto capitol of a huge geographic area with a thriving economic base (Agriculture). MLPS is home to any number of large corporations.

I may be missing a few brain cells, but I thought that the NCAA would not allow a MBB Final Four in an on-campus facility.

Syracuse as Minneapolis?

Sure, why not?

Let's transport Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Iowa to surround Syracuse so that it can be the hub city for these agrarian States.

This is a matter of basic economics. The Upper Midwest, of which MLPS is the de facto capitol of a huge geographic area with a thriving economic base (Agriculture). MLPS is home to any number of large corporations.
That's not really the point I was making. Minny is a thriving city in a cold area while Syracuse is losing people daily and nothing gets accomplished

That's not really the point I was making. Minny is a thriving city in a cold area while Syracuse is losing people daily and nothing gets accomplished

Not really true. The city of Syracuse lost about 1,000 people from the 2000 to the 2010 census. Meanwhile, the Syracuse metro area gained about 12,000 people from the 2000 to 2010 census. There was a steady decline in population from the 50's to 2000, but it has stabilized and is certainly not "losing people daily."

Not really true. The city of Syracuse lost about 1,000 people from the 2000 to the 2010 census. Meanwhile, the Syracuse metro area gained about 12,000 people from the 2000 to 2010 census. There was a steady decline in population from the 50's to 2000, but it has stabilized and is certainly not "losing people daily."
Downtown is one of the two fastest growing areas in Onondaga County. There has been an explosion of apartments and condos built there and there are no signs it is slowing.

Great to see.

https://downtownsyracuse.com/assets/Downtown-Syracuse-Development-Overview.pdf

Syracuse needs economic growth. I don't want it to be Minneapolis. I want it to be Syracuse. Yes, it's cold in both places.

Syracuse needs economic growth. I don't want it to be Minneapolis. I want it to be Syracuse. Yes, it's cold in both places.

Right. That's the next step. The population bleed of the second half of the 20th century has been stemmed. Now the city/region needs to figure out how to stimulate the economy. They've started to figure it out a bit in Buffalo. No reason it can't happen in Syracuse, at least as long as the local politicians can stop bickering long enough to work together for the betterment of the region.

Right. That's the next step. The population bleed of the second half of the 20th century has been stemmed. Now the city/region needs to figure out how to stimulate the economy. They've started to figure it out a bit in Buffalo. No reason it can't happen in Syracuse, at least as long as the local politicians can stop bickering long enough to work together for the betterment of the region.
I think they "figured it out in Buffalo" = They got $1B from the state...not that I would refuse $1B for Syracuse. The thing they have probably done better in Buffalo is figure out ways to invest it and attract companies. I am not sure Miner has any such plans. She wants it all for replacing pipes.

Yeah, but why bother to suggest that MLPS be some sort of "goal" for Syracuse. The economic base of the cities is so, so different.

Whether Syracuse is gaining or losing a few people hardly matters. The damage has been done. The damage to the manufacturing base has been done by high labor costs, high taxes and bad weather (which is one of the reasons for the high taxes).

The City and County get nothing done because it's essentially mission impossible.

OK. But the starting point for that conversation has to be why a company might decide to put facilities in CNY as opposed to North Carolina or Texas or Tennessee.

What Government can do is really quite limited. Especially if the voting public is committed to programs that increase business costs relative to other States. (Taxes, labor costs, regulatory requirements, etc.)

The fact that he keeps calling it "complex" , to me, means there is still some sort of fixed roof involved. If they just replace with a new fabric that is still air supported as they have done in the past, it's not very complex.

The fact that he keeps calling it "complex" , to me, means there is still some sort of fixed roof involved. If they just replace with a new fabric that is still air supported as they have done in the past, it's not very complex.
That's true. I was left a little conflicted last night. It was me who asked the question about whether we were committed to a hard roof. Was disappointed there was no commitment. But like you said - a project viewed as complex And one which would not cause sports to lose a season -was somewhat comforting. I wasn't really buying his statement about No team losing a season. For example I don't really believe if push came to shove that Men's and Women's lacrosse couldn't be accommodated next to the IPF.

That's true. I was left a little conflicted last night. It was me who asked the question about whether we were committed to a hard roof. Was disappointed there was no commitment. But like you said - a project viewed as complex And one which would not cause sports to lose a season -was somewhat comforting. I wasn't really buying his statement about No team losing a season. For example I don't really believe if push came to shove that Men's and Women's lacrosse couldn't be accommodated next to the IPF.

WLAX has played at the Soccer Stadium before.

It's not big enough for a typical MLAX crowd.

WLAX has played at the Soccer Stadium before.

It's not big enough for a typical MLAX crowd.
The soccer field seats 1500. There is a hill behind the south goal that can sit another couple of hundred more (it is a spot where students often sit).

As Syracuse has emerged as a national power in men's soccer, the crowds have grown and there have been a number of sellouts. There is a need for more seating. I know the athletic department was looking to add stands to the eastern side of the stadium, which could add another 1500 seats, back when Coyle was here. I think that expansion is going to happen regardless of what happens with the Dome. In addition, they could always add more stands to the western side, where the only permanent seating is now.

Or they could look at Coyne Field, which the university says seats 2700. Temporary bleachers could be moved in there to get the capacity up over 5000 and the big hill to the north could hold a lot more people as well.

That would probably be a better way to go, since the lacrosse field normally plays on turf.

Men's lacrosse averaged 4,386 in 2017, 4,013 in 2016, 4,802 in 2015, 4,140 in 2014 and 3,859 in 2014. There is little revenue to be lost moving them for a season or two. Playing at another venue might even give the team more of a home field advantage.

I guess the question on attendance is how far off the norm were a couple games.. one 10K would skew the avg by 20% or more but again one big game is a drop in the bucket for the scope of this project

Yeah, but why bother to suggest that MLPS be some sort of "goal" for Syracuse. The economic base of the cities is so, so different.

Whether Syracuse is gaining or losing a few people hardly matters. The damage has been done. The damage to the manufacturing base has been done by high labor costs, high taxes and bad weather (which is one of the reasons for the high taxes).

The City and County get nothing done because it's essentially mission impossible.

Spoken like a true Syracuse townie. The negativity of this city and everything that relates to it is truly astounding.

If you're educated and play it intelligently you should have a really good job in Syracuse right now. The job market is great right now and I'll just say from personal expierience it's helped me increase my salary greatly in the past couple of years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom